[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't connect to the internet at home

keggerz

Well for some reason my internet connection wasnt working last nite...powered the cable modem down that didnt work...called cox everything they did didnt work but they did verify that a signal is getting to the modem but they cant see the PC....i put in a NEW NIC and still nothing....we did have a lightning storm that kicked the power off but the PC works 100% other then the internet connection....

any help would be greatly appreciated or i might have to hold up the 32 homers draft in the evenings :D

Well for some reason my internet connection wasnt working last nite...powered the cable modem down that didnt work...called cox everything they did didnt work but they did verify that a signal is getting to the modem but they cant see the PC....i put in a NEW NIC and still nothing....we did have a lightning storm that kicked the power off but the PC works 100% other then the internet connection....

any help would be greatly appreciated or i might have to hold up the 32 homers draft in the evenings :D

Could the storm have zapped the connection between modem and PC? I'm not savvy enough to know.... but I know that I had to replace our network cord from modem to our PC randomly, without storm, once.... just 'cuz.... :D

Could the storm have zapped the connection between modem and PC? I'm not savvy enough to know.... but I know that I had to replace our network cord from modem to our PC randomly, without storm, once.... just 'cuz.... :D

i tried 2 additional Cat5's I had laying around and that didnt fix it either :D

fyi the pc has 4 PCI slots and I have tried the NEW NIC in each and nothing works

Edited by keggerz

One thing that the cable company can't test is whether their own ethernet jack is burned out. That could still be the problem. They can only test a connection into the modem from the outside world.

If you have a laptop or another computer you can test the local ethernet connection with, go for it. If you don't, tell cocks that they need to replace your modem immediately.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Is this for a wireless connection to a laptop? If so, check/reset your security settings on the internet connection. I had to do this on my work laptop once after hooking into the office. No idea why this one time, since I do this every day, but it worked fine after that.

Try this:

Right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manage>Network Adapters and trouble shoot it.

If you don't see it................I'm not sure what to do next, but I'll keep thinkin'.

You should also go to Control Panel>Network connections and see if it's connected.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Is this for a wireless connection to a laptop? If so, check/reset your security settings on the internet connection. I had to do this on my work laptop once after hooking into the office. No idea why this one time, since I do this every day, but it worked fine after that.

hard wired desktop

Try this:

Right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manage>Network Adapters and trouble shoot it.

If you don't see it................I'm not sure what to do next, but I'll keep thinkin'.

You should also go to Control Panel>Network connections and see if it's connected.

i did that last night and clicked the repair button and that didnt work..the cox rep did tell me that I had a bad IP address

i tried ipconfig /release

and ipconfig /renew

and nothing worked

hard wired desktop

i did that last night and clicked the repair button and that didnt work..the cox rep did tell me that I had a bad IP address

and ipconfig /renew

and nothing worked

Not sure if Cox rebooting your modem will do the same thing, but worth a shot.

hard wired desktop

and ipconfig /renew

and nothing worked

Are the lights on when you're plugged in? If so it could be your line's power to the house or a bad modem.

Are you connecting directly to the modem or do you have a router in the mix? If you are connecting directly to the modem, then I think AtomicCEO has got the right idea. The fact that the lights on the nic are not coming on suggests you are not establishing a link with the modem. If you can attach a different computer to the modem and see the same problem, time to swap the modem. If there is a router in the mix, then I'd suggest bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem to see if you can get a link.

Edited by smithkt

If the link lights on the back of the NIC aren't lighting up, you most likely don't have a connection from the modem to the PC. You can verify that by checking the IP address on the PC (start > run > type "cmd" [no quotes] > ipconfig) if you see 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x or the popular "media state disconnected" for the IP address, es no bueno. Seeing how it's a brand new NIC, I doubt your problem is there. Atomic was right on, sounds like the ethernet port on the modem is shot, call COX (can't believe they haven't changed that name yet) and get yerself a new modem. Follow standard protocol for dealing with tier 1 phone monkeys, be firm but not rude, tell them all the steps you've taken but don't hang up till they tell you they'll be sending you a new modem.

If the link lights on the back of the NIC aren't lighting up, you most likely don't have a connection from the modem to the PC. You can verify that by checking the IP address on the PC (start > run > type "cmd" [no quotes] > ipconfig) if you see 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x or the popular "media state disconnected" for the IP address, es no bueno. Seeing how it's a brand new NIC, I doubt your problem is there. Atomic was right on, sounds like the ethernet port on the modem is shot, call COX (can't believe they haven't changed that name yet) and get yerself a new modem. Follow standard protocol for dealing with tier 1 phone monkeys, be firm but not rude, tell them all the steps you've taken but don't hang up till they tell you they'll be sending you a new modem.

Wouldn't he be (at least) getting the yellow light on his NIC even if there was no signal from the modem? Not saying the modem isn't a problem (it probably is) but I would think there's a NIC problem too. You didn't say Keggerz, but does the PC recognize the NIC with no errors or issues in the device manager?

Wouldn't he be (at least) getting the yellow light on his NIC even if there was no signal from the modem? Not saying the modem isn't a problem (it probably is) but I would think there's a NIC problem too. You didn't say Keggerz, but does the PC recognize the NIC with no errors or issues in the device manager?

since i bought the same exact type of NIC that I had I dont know...unless there is a way that someone can tell me to ck

Are the lights on when you're plugged in? If so it could be your line's power to the house or a bad modem.

no lights

Are you connecting directly to the modem or do you have a router in the mix? If you are connecting directly to the modem, then I think AtomicCEO has got the right idea. The fact that the lights on the nic are not coming on suggests you are not establishing a link with the modem. If you can attach a different computer to the modem and see the same problem, time to swap the modem. If there is a router in the mix, then I'd suggest bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem to see if you can get a link.

no router, no extra pc or laptop to work with

when i did ipconfig i got a 169.254.?.? but it definitely was 169.254

since i bought the same exact type of NIC that I had I dont know...unless there is a way that someone can tell me to ck

To check the nic status in the device manager, Right click on the My Computer icon and select properties. On the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button. Look for the Network Adapter section of the tree. Click the little plus sign to expand that branch. First, make sure the NIC does not have a little yellow exclamation mark. If it does, it's not installed properly. Usually a driver issue. If it looks normal, then you can right click on it, slect properties and it should say something like "the device is operating properly"

As for the LEDs lighting up... This is going to be NIC dependent. Often the two LEDS are used to indicate link speed and activity. If you don;t have a link, then neither will light.

I still think AtomicCEO is on the right track. Could be a bad port on your modem. It happened to me once. Fortunately my cable company has a walk in service center nearby, so I just brought it in and they handed me a new one. Problem solved.

exactly, a 169.254.x.x IP is what windows hands the NIC when it can't find a DHCP server (DAMN!!!) which indicates the NIC is fine, and that the cox box (that's right) is fucacte. If winders didn't see the NIC, you would never get as far as IP addressessesses.

And this is the coolest smiley ------> :D

update: it was the router Modem....i failed to realize it had a USB port on it so i plugged it in and bingo the PC light came on...but I dont have the disc to install the USB Driver....time to hit google...but at least i know what the problem is

thanks all, even CEO

edit to correct router to modem

Edited by keggerz

no lights

no router, no extra pc or laptop to work with

when i did ipconfig i got a 169.254.?.? but it definitely was 169.254

update: it was the router...

:wacko: Ummmm......so you do have a router? USB plug in? What are you "USB" plugin' into? Errrr.......I guess you have innernets now? :D

Edit: NM....I see ...you mean modem....and you're using the USB instead of the ethernets plug-in. You can find the driver, but as mentioned...make those bastids give you another modem. IDP (Innernets Don't Process) ? :D Nice article BTW! :wacko:

Edited by Hitman

:wacko: Ummmm......so you do have a router? USB plug in? What are you "USB" plugin' into? Errrr.......I guess you have innernets now? :D

Edit: NM....I see ...you mean modem....and you're using the USB instead of the ethernets plug-in. You can find the driver, but as mentioned...make those bastids give you another modem. IDP (Innernets Don't Process) ? :D Nice article BTW! :wacko:

Router Modem you know what i mean....It was a mistype by me i have a MODEM

unfortunately they reminded me that I didnt buy the modem from them(i must have used the one I had from my comcast days) and glad you liked the article

Edited by keggerz