[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Generators.....

rocknrobn26

After this last storm and being w/o power for 30+ hours, I'm considering buying a generator. Here's a few questions:

1) Are they weather proof?

2) All I need is enough power to run 2 sump pumps, a refrigerator, and maybe a light or two. Is 5000w enough?

3) Brands?

4) Are invertors worth it?

5) More questions later.....

Nothing to add RR, but as you know I was recently in that same boat. I am also going to watch this thread and consider the same thing. Problem is right now I am willing to bet that those things are hard to get at the local Home Depot or whatever. These storms seem to wake us up.

Glad to see you are okay. :D

Nothing to add RR, but as you know I was recently in that same boat. I am also going to watch this thread and consider the same thing. Problem is right now I am willing to bet that those things are hard to get at the local Home Depot or whatever. These storms seem to wake us up.

Glad to see you are okay. :wacko:

Thanks, my friend!

Actually several neighbors bought them yesterday in the morning and had them by the afternoon from the local HD or Menards. We have pretty mild weather coming in for the next few weeks, so I think I have some time. Mind you I did NOT flood (though it was close), but it is a "peace-of-mind-purchase".

The thing that pisses me off is that my next $4k purchases/services will have to be "Have-ta-purchases". No pleasure involved, even though I told the wife to start planning a kitchen re-do! :wacko::D Maybe this spring. :D

Thanks, my friend!

Actually several neighbors bought them yesterday in the morning and had them by the afternoon from the local HD or Menards. We have pretty mild weather coming in for the next few weeks, so I think I have some time. Mind you I did NOT flood (though it was close), but it is a "peace-of-mind-purchase".

The thing that pisses me off is that my next $4k purchases/services will have to be "Have-ta-purchases". No pleasure involved, even though I told the wife to start planning a kitchen re-do! :wacko::D Maybe this spring. :D

I've got a Honda EU2000i that I love but its not big enough for what you're looking for. I know I saw a bunch of information about this a few months ago...I'll see if I can't track it down.

Glad to see you are okay. :D

Especially in the 2nd bad storm in 2 years, Last year's storm

A generator thread, but may be different than what you are looking for.

Edited by Big John

buy a Honda. it will do anything you want it to. lasts forever and has more uses than just emergencies

glad you came out safe and sane, though waiting for another such storm might cause a shortage on them next time

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I have a Honda that I bought in the early '80's, still runs good. I think I have only used it about 4 times for emergency at the house more so down ant the camp. I takes care of the freezer and that is all that I really care about. I'll check it out tomorrow and see what size it is.

I remember where I was reading about larger generators: There's a survival forum at ar15.com. Unfortunately, they only show the last month's posts, however, there are a couple new threads about generators and new topics seem to pop up pretty regularly over there.

The post I was looking for broke down need by appliances and focused on what you really need during a power outage. If you want to keep your refrigerator food cold and maybe turn on a light once in awhile, you don't need as much power as if you want to light the whole house, watch tv while running a washer and dryer.