[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why the Mariners have no shot at the playoffs

Cyclones

Take a look at the Mariners run differential vs that of the Yankees....NY has scored 789 and given up 640 for +149. Seattle has scored 651 and given up 643, for +8. The chances of these two teams having similar, let alone identical records, are not good at all. Simply put, the Mariners are INCREDIBLY lucky to have the record they do with that run differential. Over the course of the rest of the season it can be assumed that the teams will continuer to score and give up runs at a similar clip, and eventually Seattle's mediocre play will catch up with them (it has already started with their recent losing streak.) I'd be willing to bet $100 bucks with anyone who thinks Seattle is making the playoffs this year...the numbers just don't bear it out.

Edited by Cyclones

Take a look at the Mariners run differential vs that of the Yankees....NY has scored 789 and given up 640 for +149. Seattle has scored 651 and given up 643, for +8. The chances of these two teams having similar, let alone identical records, are not good at all. Simply put, the Mariners are INCREDIBLY lucky to have the record they do with that run differential. Over the course of the rest of the season it can be assumed that the teams will continuer to score and give up runs at a similar clip, and eventually Seattle's mediocre play will catch up with them (it has already started with their recent losing streak.) I'd be willing to bet $100 bucks with anyone who thinks Seattle is making the playoffs this year...the numbers just don't bear it out.

As a Seattle homer I'm not really sure how they have such a good record (although this is their third 6th game losing streak this year....so it's not like they are necessarily starting to fall apart; they have been streaky all season). Kurkjian (sp?) was going into detail about this weeks ago about how run differential is a strong indicator for chances at post season play/success....but he also mentioned that one team (maybe St. Louis last year?) had a negative differential and won the World Series. The have a shot at post-season play, IMO, because they are one game out of the wild card on August 31st and probably at the tail end of a big losing streak.

Mediocre? I don't know, they have been fairly clutch with runners in scoring position, they have 9 guys with 50+ RBIs, and one of the better bull pens in baseball. I'd like to think their impressive record in 1 or 2 run ball games means something more than they suck. :D

It's a good thing the Yankees can save those extra runs for when they're needed. :D A win is a win is a win.

Nine straight losses by the Mariners. Its called "regressing to the mean." A team with their run differential should be a .500 ball club, and that's where they are headed.

Nine straight losses by the Mariners. Its called "regressing to the mean."

I think it's more in tune to a team going totally cold at the plate during the wrong time of the season, but whatever correlation you want to make could work a million different ways.

Edited by bushwacked

Nine straight losses by the Mariners. Its called "regressing to the mean." A team with their run differential should be a .500 ball club, and that's where they are headed.

Right now they have just started their critically important series with the Wankees - they're up 5-1 in the 5th.

yup- nice that King Felix stepped up to stop the bleeding.

Run differential?? whatever- I think the M's and Yanks go down to the wire in the WC race

Three back and fading fast. Yanks win the WC going away, and Detroit is going to finish second.