[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bomb Threat

The Holy Roller

So yesterday in the freshman girls bathroom someone found a note that said a bomb was going to go off at 1pm. The building is evacuated with the entire student body marched down to the football field where they sat in the sun for about 2 hours. The fire department, the police, SWAT, and the EOD guys from Ft. Leonard Wood (about 40 minutes away) are called out to handle the situation. The entire block is shut down from 12:30 to 1:30 because no one wanted there to be any casualties. Of course there was no bomb.

The kids miss lunch (they were brought a sandwich and bottled water) and EVERYONE is aggravated over the missed time, expense, and genuine fear some of the younger kids felt. Today there is a $1000 reward for the culprit.

I know we have to be cautious because the terrorists won. And I know every threat must be taken seriously. But come on. Where do we put the brakes on this? This school is in small town Missouri in the middle of nowhere. I mean, have we really lost this war on terror? The only thing we have to fear is.... FDR was right then and I think it's the right way of thinking now.

Just my 2 cents.

The kids themselves need to figure out who did this, and then issue a kid's only code red type of vigilante justice.

Ya.......that's perfect.............and small town or not if that sh!t happened at my kids school i would want it taken serious.....

What do you propose should've been done instead?

Yes that is the question. I mean we all hate it but what if they were wrong when the said that this note is BS? I work in a lot of schools and I know they get threats all the time. I just don't know how they can decide when to take action and when to sit back and call it BS. :D

Yes that is the question. I mean we all hate it but what if they were wrong when the said that this note is BS? I work in a lot of schools and I know they get threats all the time. I just don't know how they can decide when to take action and when to sit back and call it BS. :D

More importantly, if someone knew HOW they determined when to take aciton and when not to, it would make actually doing something that much easier.

What do you propose should've been done instead?

In this day and age what the administration did was the ONLY option. Take the note seriously. But it's sad that we now live like this. What will we do when it happens again? The same. Again. And again. What will it take to end this nonsense? Catching the culprit and make a well publicized example with an over-the-top punishment might make a statement. Yesterday a beheading would have been an acceptable punishment if voted on by the students.

I think we underestimate our kids in situations like this. When the tornado hit our school iast year it was frightening and , yeah, some kids were very upset. But it was the parents who came right after the thing had left who fueled the hysteria, trying to get their child out of the school. FEAR is the enemy. When we bow to the FEAR we have lost.

In this day and age what the administration did was the ONLY option. Take the note seriously. But it's sad that we now live like this. What will we do when it happens again? The same. Again. And again. What will it take to end this nonsense? Catching the culprit and make a well publicized example with an over-the-top punishment might make a statement. Yesterday a beheading would have been an acceptable punishment if voted on by the students.

I think we underestimate our kids in situations like this. When the tornado hit our school iast year it was frightening and , yeah, some kids were very upset. But it was the parents who came right after the thing had left who fueled the hysteria, trying to get their child out of the school. FEAR is the enemy. When we bow to the FEAR we have lost.

I hesitated to comment on your original post, though I thought I knew your intentions of the original post. You confirmed that w/ the above.

It is frustrating and there is no solution. The school has to take action, but this fear thing is a NO WIN situation. I know your frustration, and I realize you know what the admins HAVE to do, but you don't like it. Very understandable and a vent more than a comment. The tornado event is ridiculous, but as an educator/educational institution we have to live w/ that. Schools get little credit and most of the blame in any situation. :D

I was in 7th grade (1961 :D ) when we had our first bomb scare. They caught the kid. He just didn't want to go to school that day as the world series was on and he wanted to watch it. Slap on the wrist, no one went to jail. Today it's much more serious. I hate the fear mentality as much as anyone, but I see it more as a caution mentality. Semantics??? Probably.

I have further comments, but they could be construed as political, so I'll stop.

Hopefully they will catch and punish the culprit, and the message will hopefully "hit home" and eliminate other ones.

We had a problem with this a couple of years ago in the city where I am a Fire Marshal. Urban city in VA. The local high school kids started texting the other schools in the area, "If you want to get out of school, call in a bomb threat." little bastards!!

The fact is 99% of threats are just that threats; "THERE'S A BOMB IN THE BUILDING..............(CLICK)" no device found.

We determined that school security and staff would inspect the school each morning. When a call would come in, staff would do a sweep for anything out of the ordinary. Nothing suspicious, we're back to normal..

We put reward money up and actually had 9 arrests over a 2 week period. All convictions.

There is no danger in responding this way. :D