[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys Secondary

Cowboyz1

I mean the guy has coached up every defense he has been in charge of, despite injuries. Recall the Bills when they had top players out and still found a way to stop the run and play against the deep ball. So in light if his resume I have to say cutting Glenn makes sense because he's 35, he plays soft and short, rarely picks the ball off and gets paid to much for being a nickel package guy only. Honestly Glenn has never been and will never any resemblance of a one on one shut down cover guy. So cut him.

Now what? Reeves and Jones both special teams guys with speed. Jones gave up a deep 90 against Houston, so either that was an aberration or a preview of deep strike endzone dances at his expense. Reeves has played solid when in there. He doesn't get beat deep but historically plays too soft with his speed. Phillips said he is working on fixing that and has made progress.

Logically Phillips must have seen enough with Reeves to feel as though Jones could be helped while Reeves can hold his own on the edges. He also has to know more about Newman's heel than we do. But I have seen that crap before also. Day to Day goes to Probable and doesn't play, to Questionable and is not active, to Doubtful in a MRI booth, to surgery and IR. Nate Newton told us on Sirius Radio that those shots had him screaming and wanting to choke the doctor. Can you do that for 16 weeks+? Maybe if you’re Jack Ham or Ronnie Lot but does Newman have that kind of Crazy? I just don't know. :D

Now what really concerns me is this, what happens if any one of those other three go down? Reeves at one corner, Jones on the other or Jones on one and Henry on the other with Olgy in the slot. Who plays when cover two prevent is called and five need to be in the secondary and not linebackers. Unless Ware and Spencer are ready to cover Wide outs too? Now that is possible. I recall seeing Ware dragging with wideouts all year last year and Spencer has the speed but not the experience. Maybe that is what's up his sleeve. But that scheme has to cost pass rush right?

Then there is Oglsby, who won't be ready to cover anyone other then punt and kickoff returners for weeks. You have to wonder why he was let go also, was it that 2nd year Prude or 7th year Ivy were that much better or what? I saw the guy on the field all year last year so he must have been able to play some. Hell who know, only Phillips and the scouting staff?

So what exactly is the drop off from Newman? Only Phillips, scouting staff and the rest of the secondary knows. Soon we all will know what they think they know or knew all along but didn’t tell us.

Until then I have to put my faith in Phillips knowing that he must have seen enough in these young guys to warrant giving Glenn his walking papers pissing off players like RW who was quoted saying "I was pissed off, I love the guy and he taught us all a lot". I thought he was our third best Corner". WOW I can't say that was a vote of confidence but that could have been emotional also right?

I resign to the fact that I never saw one practice or OTA. So Phillips must know what he is doing, and I will reserve judgment. I would love to know we have a couple of young corners, hand picked by Parcells that can step up and show us just why they have been around for the past 4 years.

I just want to be careful about falling for the sour grapes the media experts keep presenting regarding our Secondary. After all San Diego was very solid with Quentin Jammer, Drayton Florence, Antonio Cromartie at the corners and Clinton Hart and Marlon McCree playing safety. None of these guys play that well to me, and certainly don't measure up to Pro Bowler Williams, Henry, and Should be Pro Bowler Newman or Hamlin for that matter. So I got to like our chances with the same Phillips D using better talent in the secondary. Now that is logical.

All this above fleshing aside, we still give the Giants a beating at home on Sunday :D

I understand the Cowboys thinking on Glenn as he was expensive and old. I do not however understand them letting him go with the injury questions surrounding Newman. Unless they know Newman is fine and/or they have confidence in their young CB's (which I do not) this does not make sense to me. Old and expensive yes but a need player?? Yes!

I understand the Cowboys thinking on Glenn as he was expensive and old. I do not however understand them letting him go with the injury questions surrounding Newman. Unless they know Newman is fine and/or they have confidence in their young CB's (which I do not) this does not make sense to me. Old and expensive yes but a need player?? Yes!

I can't even say needed. What has Glenn ever done that the average corner can't? Yeah he's a vet and all but he never made me say boy I'm glad Glenn's out there. Or "That's right you opposing QB, you can pull that on T Glenn". In my mind when I picture Glenn he was always reaching but never getting the ball and rarely stopping the catch.

All this above fleshing aside, we still give the Giants a beating at home on Sunday :D

lol, The 'Boys have a good pass rush....The 'Men have a good pass rush. The 'Boys have a secondary with issues...The 'Men have secondary issues.

and both teams have young QB's with something to prove.

a 49-49 tie sound right? i think it comes down to turnovers, penalties, and who's secondary gets torched the least

course thats a pretty safe assumption.

lol, The 'Boys have a good pass rush....The 'Men have a good pass rush. The 'Boys have a secondary with issues...The 'Men have secondary issues.

and both teams have young QB's with something to prove.

a 49-49 tie sound right? i think it comes down to turnovers, penalties, and who's secondary gets torched the least

course thats a pretty safe assumption.

That sounds just about right. Except you forgot that 7 points I spoke of earlier 56 - 49 boys. :D

Here’s the Phillips’ defense in a nutshell.

Put your secondary on an island and put pressure up front. If you can throw the ball before I get to you, go for it.

It is all about the front seven and can cause division among the players.

This article :Dwas very interesting to me. Not only as a Charger fan, but from the scheming/philosophy followed by two successful coaches that use the same basic system. Remember, Cotrell was the DC for Phillips in Buffalo, and though he uses the same D, as a little different approach to using it.

The secondary felt as if it were ducks in a carnival game at times, sitting back there waiting to get shot.

“Wade's big philosophy was you're strong up front, you stop the run, you rush the passer, you play the game up front and the secondary is you just play blanket coverage, just don't let big plays happen,” safety Bhawoh Jue said. “As long as you can keep everything in front of you, put pressure, you're going to win with your front.

“It kind of breeds separation between the front and back end. That's what we had. Now when you get a chance with safeties blitzing, corners blitzing, nickel blitzing, we're running all kinds of packages in the back. It brings the whole defense together. Everyone is going to be involved in making plays.”

This is why a Phillips “prevent” is very scary. If it is already a “keep it in front of you” attitude most of the game, just how lose are they playing in crunch time? You don’t have to go much further back than the last drive of the first half of the Patriots/Charger playoff game.

I am kind of glad to see the majority of the Chargers' staff gone. Same schemes with a fresh twist. It could be the last “piece” of the puzzle to bring home a Championship!

...I just want to be careful about falling for the sour grapes the media experts keep presenting regarding our Secondary. After all San Diego was very solid with Quentin Jammer, Drayton Florence, Antonio Cromartie at the corners and Clinton Hart and Marlon McCree playing safety. None of these guys play that well to me, and certainly don't measure up to Pro Bowler Williams, Henry, and Should be Pro Bowler Newman or Hamlin for that matter. So I got to like our chances with the same Phillips D using better talent in the secondary. Now that is logical...

Given my above post and addressing this part of your post directly, let me tell you what will happen.

Your young athletic guys will get caught in bad situations and then get called for holding or interferance more than you would ever have expected. They are taught to NOT let anything past them. Take the penalty, but don't give up the points.

Jammer is one of the better corners in the league and has a bad reputation. Few teams throw at him anymore. The Charger DBs are better than you think. I am not comparing them to the Cowboys DBs as I have not taken the time to evaluate them, but rest assured the Charger DBs are all solid, fast and athletic. They were also left out on an island A LOT! This does not breed success for the backfield. They are almost like cannon fodder. The attitude is look bad if you have to, just don't let anyone behind you. We'll hold 'em to three instead of seven.

It has worked effectively in other places. Can Wade make it work there? Only the season will tell. But I know you will be more upset at your DBs this year than ever before. It is the nature of the beast!