[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gary Russell

Barbarian

I love the way Gary Russell is flying below the radar.....or am I the only one who thinks he will get serious playing time this year?

Well, I was very excited that Russell made the team. He earned it, and it proved that with Tomlin, you can earn a roster spot, and it isn't just given to you based on your name.

That said, I like the kid, and think he has a ton of ability. However, as of now, he is 3rd at best on the depth chart. Davenport is the backup, and if anyone besides Parker or Davenport get the goal-line carries, word is it would be Cary Davis. Most of Russell's playing time is going to be special teams early on. So, no, I don't expect him to get serious playing time this year. If Parker were to go down, he might get some carries in a split with Davenport, but, as of now, his play will be limited.

Yes, you're the only one. He's a headcase and has huge character issues... He won't be around very long.

Not so sure about that. He worked hard in the off-season to lose weight and get into playing shape. He earned that roster spot with his hard work, and there have been no reports of problems in the locker room. I know he dropped out of school, but, people can change.

Not so sure about that. He worked hard in the off-season to lose weight and get into playing shape. He earned that roster spot with his hard work, and there have been no reports of problems in the locker room. I know he dropped out of school, but, people can change.

Yes they can. I flunked out, half way thru my senior year. I was probably the most immature person I knew, only I didn't see it then. So I grew up, got my priorities straight, and went back to finish and get my MBA. People can change -- not just me. I bet my scenario happens all the time.

So, good for the kid. He is someone I will be rooting for. It's not easy to change and I am glad he got a chance to prove he has changed.

Edited by The Wolf

its nice to see that he is finally starting to get it.. but as for this year, i dont think he will dress for many of the games to be honest. davis will dress before him because of his special teams ability and experience. he's got a chance to replace davenport in the future though.

He's got some serious raw talent and power as a RB. However he is about as stupid as a person can be without being clinically diagnosed as a slow. That said, maybe he still has enough intelligence to learn a play book. If so, he could be someone to keep a close eye on for the next couple of years. He will need an opportunity (like an injury to somone ahead of him on the depth chart) to get any significant playing time though... at least this year. I think a year or two learning the pro game without having to apply it on the field, is exactly what someone like Russell needs in order to be successful in the NFL. I just wouldn't expect too much from him right away.