[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Finally Getting an IPOD

nhoops

Ok,

So I'm still living in the CD world. We do have itunes and play music from our computer through our stereo. Just wasn't a priority.

We've been talking about getting one for over a year. Wife's birthday is in a few weeks and I think I'm going to break down and get her one.

I was thinking about the 8G red Nano. 1st is there a reason not to get a nano (ie is the reg ipod better) and then is the 4G enough or is the extra space worth the additional $50?

I was going to either get it online or at the apple store........are the prices consistant or should I shop around (ie Best Buy)

What components come with it.....and what do I need? (Computer adapter, stereo cable (already have), charger, car adapeter/charger)

Any advice will be much appreciated.

see here.

Thanks....saw that but didn't want to hijack the thread.

Although it looks sweet the iTouch may be a little more that we can handle or need right now.

Just wanted some advice on the classic and/or nano

when thinking classic vs. nano, it's all about how you are going to use the iPod. the storage with the classic lets you essentially carry around your entire music collection, many videos, all your photos, etc. you can fully load the device to have everything with you. the tradeoff is size. i use my full sized iPod in a Bose sounddock or i would use it in my car. i would not use it to workout.

with the nano, you take a serious hit on the storage, but gain the size. so this is better for carrying around the music you want to listen to that day/week with maybe a video or two and some photos. you have to be more choiceful about what you carry, but you get the smaller size to make it more convenient. this model is great for working out. the shuffle is the best for this. in fact, if you just want to carry around enough songs for a workout or bus ride, the shuffle is fine for this.

on the 4 vs. 8 GB, if you expect to have any video or photos, i would go 8 GB. if you are just carrying it for some music to listen to, 4 should be fine. i always try to max out the space because i seem to fill whatever space i have.

hope it helps. i have both a full size and a shuffle so i can use them when/how i want.

enjoy!

Ok,

So I'm still living in the CD world. We do have itunes and play music from our computer through our stereo. Just wasn't a priority.

We've been talking about getting one for over a year. Wife's birthday is in a few weeks and I think I'm going to break down and get her one.

I was thinking about the 8G red Nano. 1st is there a reason not to get a nano (ie is the reg ipod better) and then is the 4G enough or is the extra space worth the additional $50?

I was going to either get it online or at the apple store........are the prices consistant or should I shop around (ie Best Buy)

What components come with it.....and what do I need? (Computer adapter, stereo cable (already have), charger, car adapeter/charger)

Any advice will be much appreciated.

When I bought my 30G it was the same price as the 8G nano. I wasn't going to strap it to my arm or carry it around in my pocket so I saw no reason to go with the nano.

The prices were very consistent.

Nothing really comes with it except fairly crappy earbuds and a cord to link it to your computer. You need a docking station or two (which you can use to charge the thing with an accessory cord) - one for each stereo you're going to use it with.

You'll want to hardwire it into your car stereo. (FM transmitters are schit.) If your stereo isn't ipod ready, I recommend that you get the Neo Pro Link. It serves as a charger as well.

You'll need a holder. I recommend ProClip -they should have one designed specifically for your car model.

Edited by Furd

My wife got me the new 8G nano. I think it's perfect for what I need.

For the first time, we have mulitple ipods (she also has one) and I looked into having two ipods on the same computer. Good technical guidence here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432

I'm looking for some practical guidence from those who use two ipods on the same computer. Method one (creating seperate user accounts) seems like the way to go. One account for me and one for mrs. justin.

However, I do want to be able to share music and not pay for it twice. Based on the guidence from Apple, that doesn't seem like it will be a problem. Our music tastes are somewhat similar, so it's not a big deal if we did Method 2. It seems easier to do.

What have others done with two ipods on the same computer? Thoughts are appreciated.

My wife got me the new 8G nano. I think it's perfect for what I need.

For the first time, we have mulitple ipods (she also has one) and I looked into having two ipods on the same computer. Good technical guidence here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432

I'm looking for some practical guidence from those who use two ipods on the same computer. Method one (creating seperate user accounts) seems like the way to go. One account for me and one for mrs. justin.

However, I do want to be able to share music and not pay for it twice. Based on the guidence from Apple, that doesn't seem like it will be a problem. Our music tastes are somewhat similar, so it's not a big deal if we did Method 2. It seems easier to do.

What have others done with two ipods on the same computer? Thoughts are appreciated.

strongly recommend method 2, which is what we do. i set up playlists for the kids and their ipods synch right up to what they want on it. for mine, i synch to the entire music library. this is much easier as all of your music is in one place, under one account. no dealing with multiple accounts or libraries, and it works great.

i'd only think about method 1 if you already use accounts or need them for some other reason.