[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wireless and Computers

cory_n_az

I recently just purchased a wireless laptop from Dell (waiting to be shipped to me).

I've been thinking about just buying the Verizon Wireless Broadband card, but unsure as of right now. Anyways, I'm curious as to what I need to do for wireless purposes. If I find a free wireless hotspot (restaurant/library/etc...), do I have to set anything up? Is there a connection that pops up for me to accept? Or does it automatically connect for me?

Explain it to me like I'm 3. Appreciate any help.

Some places like Starbucks, you will need to pay for it. But most places such as airports provide it for free. When you first turn on your computer you'll see in the system tray an icon that will tell you that there have been wireless networks found. You'll see a little bubble pop-up from the system tray (if you're using XP and I think it works the same in Vista). Just click on the bubble and it will ask you to choose a network to connect to. If it's a secured network then you will need the password/phrase to connect to the network.

I might have missed a couple of things, but those are the basics of it. If that doesn't work you can connect to networks by going to start-> control panel -> network connections.

There are also lots of places on the net you can find info on this before you get the new compy.

Good luck.

Do you already have internet access at your home for a desktop PC? If so, I would suggest looking into getting a wireless router for your home. I just bought a Gateway laptop about a month ago and have a DSL Modem for the home for the family computer. Setting up a wireless router isn't too hard and you just use the current modem and instead of running the network cable into the PC, you put it into the back of the wireless router first before you connect it to the back of your PC. I got a Netgear Super G router with a rebate so it only cost me $30 to set up my home for wireless connections through my ISP. Got to use it Sunday while watching my Panthers and checking on my fantasy teams at the same time while sitting in front of the TV. It was pretty nice to be able to sit down anywhere in my home and have a good connection to surf the net. :D

I have the wireless cared, and in areas that have broadband service it is pretty good. It isn't much slower than my cable and DSL connections (cable at work, DSL at home). If you are not in a broadband area then it is dial-up slow and sucks.

Two different things:

Wireless is typically a standard networking system without using a cable e.g. 802.11g

The "cards" are telco-provided EVDO systems that use a faster cellphone capability

Both have their place. Wireless is faster but very limited range (in general), EVDO allows you to roam but is slower, relatively. Modern laptops have both wireless and EVDO built in.