[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clinton Portis -UNDERRATED

mdalby

The Huddle still has Clinton Portis rated as the #20 RB for the remainder of the season. That is very underrated. Portis averaged 5.8 yds/carry and Betts averaged a very pedestrian 3.5 / carry.

Portis is going to be a #1 RB the remainder of the season.

Luckily I have him as my #3 RB in my flex position starting Steven Jackson and Frank Gore (traded for him).

The Huddle still has Clinton Portis rated as the #20 RB for the remainder of the season. That is very underrated. Portis averaged 5.8 yds/carry and Betts averaged a very pedestrian 3.5 / carry.

Portis is going to be a #1 RB the remainder of the season.

Luckily I have him as my #3 RB in my flex position starting Steven Jackson and Frank Gore (traded for him).

DMD, get this genius on staff immediately so we can clean up our act around here.

Did anybody happen to notice how the carries were split between the two backs on Sunday? :D

Portis is a true #1 when healthy.

Are you suggesting he'll be healthy this season? :D

:D

Yes! Are you suggesting that there is never a first year when someone will get hurt? Portis had a hurt hand and a hurt shoulder. Those were fluky injuries. The knee appears to be fine and I think it was just to get out of pre-season without taking risks. Gore hurt is hand. LT could be next.

Did anybody happen to notice how the carries were split between the two backs on Sunday? :D

Yeah, it seem that Gibbs is not a liar and did as they indicated they would for this first which is start Portis and then give Betts some carry.

This wasn't RBBC but rather bringing Portis up to speed. His workload increases more next week.

Look at the split on carries? What a stupid comment. So, I guess we should downgrade LT too since Turner had a lot of carries too? The splitting of carries is not the issue. Look how many rushes WAS had. They had the 3rd most carries last week. Who will get the goal line carries?

Look at the split on carries? What a stupid comment. So, I guess we should downgrade LT too since Turner had a lot of carries too? The splitting of carries is not the issue. Look how many rushes WAS had. They had the 3rd most carries last week. Who will get the goal line carries?

Let me get all this down:

They had the 3rd most carries last week so Portis is a stud.

The splitting of carries has no effect on whether Portis is a stud.

Joe Gibbs has called you on the Bat Phone and told you that Portis will be getting all the goal line carries, so he is a stud.

Got it.

No more stupid comments from me sir! :D

dumbass... I mean ratsass...

So let me get this straight...

A team that has the 3rd most carries among the teams last week and in the past two years is among the top in the league in rushing attempts does not factor into a players worth?

So the splitting of carries in week one dramatically is a factor in Portis worth but apparently is not a factor in other RBs value such as LT?

Be consistent.

Let me get all this down:

They had the 3rd most carries last week so Portis is a stud.

The splitting of carries has no effect on whether Portis is a stud.

Joe Gibbs has called you on the Bat Phone and told you that Portis will be getting all the goal line carries, so he is a stud.

Got it.

No more stupid comments from me sir! :D

You know, I don't really care ... but in looking around, it is starting to seem to me that this board shows more open contempt from its staff to the readers than any football board out there. And defensiveness, too.

It was a legit question. It was not, "Hey you huddle writers are stupid for ranking Portis at 20." It was "Hey, Portis at 20 -- isn't that a little low?" It didn't deserve a "You don't get paid to write here so shut up you retard" response.

News: Clinton Portis bruised his ribs during the first quarter of Sunday's game, the Associated Press reports.

Spin: X-rays on his ribs were negative. The bruised ribs may explain why Ladell Betts was given as many carries as Portis. Although Betts is expected to steal some of Portis' carries this year, he may have gotten more than usual on Sunday due to Portis' injury.

Sep. 11, 7:21 PM ET

This came from player news on ESPN FF site

You know, I don't really care ... but in looking around, it is starting to seem to me that this board shows more open contempt from its staff to the readers than any football board out there. And defensiveness, too.

It was a legit question. It was not, "Hey you huddle writers are stupid for ranking Portis at 20." It was "Hey, Portis at 20 -- isn't that a little low?" It didn't deserve a "You don't get paid to write here so shut up you retard" response.

I just have contempt for people that want to rag on the staff, yet bring no subjective proof other than their opinions, and the fact that they own one player or the other.

The carries were split evenly. As best I can tell this looks like a a RBBC. The fact that Portis was in the game when it came time to punch in a touchdown could be indicitave of Portis being the "goal line back" or it could be coincidental. I vote the latter.

In any case, what we saw Sunday would seem to indicate that the rankings are probably about right the way they are. You can try to conjure up evidence to the contrary but it is all just contrived tripe at this point.

If you want to rag on the rankings, load up evidence to support your argument and I am all ears. Otherwise I am just a contemptuous dumbass.

I just have contempt for people that want to rag on the staff, yet bring no subjective proof other than their opinions, and the fact that they own one player or the other.

The carries were split evenly. As best I can tell this looks like a a RBBC. The fact that Portis was in the game when it came time to punch in a touchdown could be indicitave of Portis being the "goal line back" or it could be coincidental. I vote the latter.

In any case, what we saw Sunday would seem to indicate that the rankings are probably about right the way they are. You can try to conjure up evidence to the contrary but it is all just contrived tripe at this point.

If you want to rag on the rankings, load up evidence to support your argument and I am all ears. Otherwise I am just a contemptuous dumbass.

So if i came out and said "Ratass, your rankings sux dogdoodoo" without having any proof of it, i'd be in for it?

Just checking.....................

So if i came out and said "Ratass, your rankings sux dogdoodoo" without having any proof of it, i'd be in for it?

Just checking.....................

Depends on my mood. I'm feeling particularly nasty right now, having stayed up late to watch the end of a boring game and trying to finish my column after midnight.

My apologies to those whose were offended.

That being said, I don't recall ever being called stupid and dumbass, and then felt compelled to apologize. :D

I just have contempt for people that want to rag on the staff, yet bring no subjective proof other than their opinions

While I don't disagree with you, are'nt the rankings pretty much just the writers' opinions?

FWIW, I think I agree with The Misfit on this one. Mdalby did'nt write anything offensive to anyone IMO until he started getting piled on.

FWIW, I think I agree with The Misfit on this one. Mdalby did'nt write anything offensive to anyone IMO until he started getting piled on.

+1

What is subjective proof anyway? An oxymoran? Or does it mean opinion? I happen to agree that Portis is underrated. Here's some subjective proof:

12 Laurence Maroney- Sammie Morrisis got a lot of carries. Looks like a passing team.

15 Ronnie Brown - looks to be sharing the load with Chatman. Dolphins sugg.

16 Maurice Jones-Drew - split carry scenario, low rushing attempts for the team.

18 Brandon Jacobs- out for 3-5 weeks

I'd rank Portis higher than 2 or 3 of them for the rest of the season.

Just my .02. Besides, he'll probably get turf toe dressing up for the press conference next week....

I believe Betts will be used to keep Portis rested and fresh as the season wears on, however early on this season I really want to believe that Portis and Betts share carries almost equally as Portis gets into game shape. Yes I am a Portis owner and believe if all goes well he will be a top 5 RB this season.

The carries were split evenly. As best I can tell this looks like a a RBBC.

I could be wrong, but didn't Gibbs state that carries would be split at the beginning of the season until Portis got up to speed? Also, even for one game, you can't ignore the fact Portis got almost 40 more yards than Betts on the same amount of carries.

I could be wrong, but didn't Gibbs state that carries would be split at the beginning of the season until Portis got up to speed? Also, even for one game, you can't ignore the fact Portis got almost 40 more yards than Betts on the same amount of carries.

No, you can't ignore that fact. The Huddle rankings has Portis at 20 and Betts at 30. So as I stated earlier, there was no substantial evidence from week one that would suggest the rankings are out of whack. When you factor in the statistical probability that Portis will miss some time with injury somewhere along the way, if anything the Huddle rankings might have Portis a bit high.

I certainly saw nothing in week one that would suggest he is underrated. But maybe that's just me. :D

No, you can't ignore that fact. The Huddle rankings has Portis at 20 and Betts at 30. So as I stated earlier, there was no substantial evidence from week one that would suggest the rankings are out of whack. When you factor in the statistical probability that Portis will miss some time with injury somewhere along the way, if anything the Huddle rankings might have Portis a bit high.

I certainly saw nothing in week one that would suggest he is underrated. But maybe that's just me. :D

I agree....I think Portis was rated properly. To put it in perspective, the Huddle staff didn't have the benefit of seeing Portis play week one before they made their predictions. All the info they had was bum knee and coming off a couple of innnnnjury plagued seasons with a backup running back who just got a PHAT new contract. And still they gave Portis a generous rating of 20th. To put that in perspective, that is the 8th pick of the second round if nothing but RB's are taken off the board. So in all honesty, Portis was gone by very early in the third round. Where did Shaun Alexander end up...and that was from one year with a broken bone in his foot!!! No big deal Rattsass....I think you guys could have ranked him anywhere between 15 and 20....you just chose the lower number...no biggie. However, if you would have rated Portis as a 12 and Betts as a 30, and Portis got 40 yards less than Betts on the same carries....and Betts got the TD...I bet you would hear it for overrrating him.

Edited by TheShiznit