[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car window question

max

I was driving home on the PA turnpike today and a stone flew up and chipped my front windshield. The chip is about the size of a quarter. Oh, and the same thing hapened to my other vehicle about 2 weeks ago on the PA turnpike. Does anyone know if this is something that can be repaired or will I need to replace the window. If it can be repaired do I take it to an auto glass shop or are there kits sold at auto stores to do it yourself?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

I was driving home on the PA turnpike today and a stone flew up and chipped my front windshield. The chip is about the size of a quarter. Oh, and the same thing hapened to my other vehicle about 2 weeks ago on the PA turnpike. Does anyone know if this is something that can be repaired or will I need to replace the window. If it can be repaired do I take it to an auto glass shop or are there kits sold at auto stores to do it yourself?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

As long as the window is not cracked, you can bring it to any Glass place...usually someone who make all sorts of types of glass....and they can fill in the chip. They can also tell you if it will crack no matter what!..Good Luck.

So long as it is chipped only they can do wonders with it at the glass shop. I have had my windshield fixed twice. First time was on the very first day I owned my car and a kid through a rock and broke the shield. I caught him and took him to the crackhead mom who wanted to "work it out". Next time was on the turnpike. Glass shop will be able to tell you if there will be a problem.

last time i remember replacing a windshield was 10 years ago. i called state farm and they sent someone to my work's parking lot and the guy replaced it for free (as part of my insurance). all i had was a small crack, and i think i replaced it because i was selling the car.

The advice to take it to a glass shop is good. In most cases, if it's just a star, it can be repaired rather than replaced. The insurance companies like this option and you should too. Lot's of replaced windshields leak.

Your windshield is made of laminated glass. That means two sheets of glass that have a layer of clear plastic sandwiched in between. This also means that the piece of glass closest to you is still intact. To repair the crack, the technician puts a little vacuum over the crack and sucks the glass up from teh plastic ever so slightly. This separates the crack wnough for an acrylic filler to be poured in. Finally heat is applied so that the acrylic sets. Basically, you can think of it as glueing the two sides of the crack together. This will stop the crack from running all over the windshield.