[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Autocad sued

polksalet

I don't understand the legalese, but Autodesk has always been aggressive against illegal users. They have to lead the pack in suing and winning suits against companies using their s/w illegally. This suit could boil down to the EULA. Many have a no resale/licensing clause.

"AutoCAD software is licensed, not sold and that license is not transferable."
Whether that's legal or not we'll see. If it's illegal, then a whole bunch of other s/w companies (MS included) will be exposed.

I bought their stock years ago and I am a happy investor (It's worth +6x what I paid for it in 2002). I was also a developer and author for them. I mention this because I know it to be a very sound savvy company. I'd like to see how this turns out. If they lose so will other companies....BIG TIME!!!!

Good post, Polky!

I don't understand the legalese, but Autodesk has always been aggressive against illegal users. They have to lead the pack in suing and winning suits against companies using their s/w illegally. This suit could boil down to the EULA. Many have a no resale/licensing clause. Whether that's legal or not we'll see. If it's illegal, then a whole bunch of other s/w companies (MS included) will be exposed.

I bought their stock years ago and I am a happy investor (It's worth +6x what I paid for it in 2002). I was also a developer and author for them. I mention this because I know it to be a very sound savvy company. I'd like to see how this turns out. If they lose so will other companies....BIG TIME!!!!

Good post, Polky!

I guess I have been hanging out with you commies so long I now think this software thing is wrong. If I buy a book, I can then sell it to someone else. Why should rules and laws apply differently for a book in a digital format?

I guess I have been hanging out with you commies so long I now think this software thing is wrong. If I buy a book, I can then sell it to someone else. Why should rules and laws apply differently for a book in a digital format?

I agree, along w/ movies, cd's, and a lot of other digital and electronic data. THEY have the lobby groups! Why can't I copy a movie for my own use? Why can't I sell a piece of s/w I no longer need or use?

No argument there, Polk!

Edit for:

And I AM one of the commies that you speak of! :D

Edited by rocknrobn26

I don't understand the legalese, but Autodesk has always been aggressive against illegal users. They have to lead the pack in suing and winning suits against companies using their s/w illegally.
I have always heard that in developing markets (Far East, Africa, etc), the opposite is actually true. Autodesk does little if anything to stop piracy and in some cases dumps illegal copies into circulation so that they become the dominant software...then once everyone is using them, then they come in with the Anti-piracy guns a blazing.

I have always heard that in developing markets (Far East, Africa, etc), the opposite is actually true. Autodesk does little if anything to stop piracy and in some cases dumps illegal copies into circulation so that they become the dominant software...then once everyone is using them, then they come in with the Anti-piracy guns a blazing.

Some of that is true, but I'd say not true over the last 10-12 years or so. They were the first PC CADD s/w to NOT have a lock back in the 80's. And yes it was passed around and bootlegged to the point where they had sold 1m copies but thought over 4m were being used. Some called that unprofessional, others called it a great marketing concept. They locked it done when it hit ~80% of the market share. Their main competitor was Microstation, the PC version of Intergraph (very proprietary and needed a main frame). MS went after the archy market and were and still are fairly successful there. The mechy's never really gave a serious look at MS.

MS went after the archy market and were and still are fairly successful there. The mechy's never really gave a serious look at MS.

Most state highway agencies also specify MicroStation, so they and their consulting firms also use it.

Most state highway agencies also specify MicroStation, so they and their consulting firms also use it.

True! I use the term archy for all none mechys. :D

Intergraph in it's early days was one of the few real mapping progs, and when MS came out, those people stuck w/ it.

The majority of highway agencies stick with MicroStation because GeoPAK cannot be run on an AutoCAD platform.

The majority of highway agencies stick with MicroStation because GeoPAK cannot be run on an AutoCAD platform.

That is part of it, but Wisconsin and Georgia use CAiCE instead of GEOPAK, but still use MicroStation. (Unlike GEOPAK, CAiCE runs as a separate program instead of inside the CADD software and the export/import capabilities are compatible with MicroStation and AutoCAD)

I think you mean base software, as GeoPAK needs MS to run. The platforms are the same. PC w/ XP/2000, min. RAM & HD space.

Better yet, find the little line in the tool bar, click it and go.

We strictly use autocad, as we do very little DOT work.

There were no tool bars when I started w/ Acad.....Ver 2.4 (c.1984)! :wacko::wacko: In those days, the menu was so slow and cumbersome, we memorized all the keyboard shortcuts. But back then there were only about 100 commands.

As bad as my typing is, I can usually execute commands (basic ones) faster w/ the key board. :D Well i could when I was in my prime. :D