[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Janikowski got ICED

STL Fan

I defenitly agree that the there should be a rule change on this one. Its one thing to ice the kicker on a 50+ yarder by making him think about the kick for another 30 seconds. It is absolutely another to play the percentages by making him kick 2 50 yarders in a row. Field goal kicking is alot like a golf shot, its 80+% mental. The let down of having the W just yanked off the board would have to kill your concentration. I doubt Vinateri would have hit that second FG. How about the refs let the other team know beforehand that a TO is going to be called just prior to the kick? That seems to serve the purpose of icing.

:D @ suggesting rule changes. Icing a K has been going on as long as Ks were given the power to score points in games (and consequently change a game's outcome despite being one of if not THE most unathletic player on the team). It was gamesmanship and it was appropriate. And it could have just as easily gone the other way - the date raping K could have hit the upright on the first kick & drilled the second one down the middle.

If Ks are going to earn NFL money, they have to learn to deal with pressure & be consistent with their stoke - something Janikowski still hasn't learned, but as long as Al owns the team, he'll be damned that he'll admit he made a mistake drafting Janokowski in the 1st round & cut him.

Edited by Bronco Billy

And it could have just as easily gone the other way - the date raping K could have hit the upright on the first kick & drilled the second one down the middle.

So you're saying the second kick is just as easy to nail as the first, mentally? I dont think coaches asking the ref's in secret to blow the whistle the second the kicker goes to kick the ball has been around forever. And it sure doesnt seem to live up to "the spirit of the law" IMO.

I think it was kind of cheesy, I would have liked to see a split screen replay showing the sideline and the actual play, to see how close it was.

It's kind of like a batter asking for time and stepping out, sometimes they aren't granted time because it's just too late.

The rule could be updated, and it's fine to "ice" the kicker w/ a late TO, but the rule should be that a player on field needs to call time. So if the LB stood beside the umpire the same way a QB stands beside the Ref to call a timeout, at least you have a shot of both the TO request and the snap of the ball.

Edited by charty

So you're saying the second kick is just as easy to nail as the first, mentally? I dont think coaches asking the ref's in secret to blow the whistle the second the kicker goes to kick the ball has been around forever. And it sure doesnt seem to live up to "the spirit of the law" IMO.

:D

"asking the refs in secret"

Is or is not DEN given timeouts in the overtime period? And are they or are they not allowed to call them as they see fit? Teams talk to the refs about calling timeouts regularly. For instance, at the end of games when they are running out the clock but don't want to take a delay of game penalty. Does that fall outside "the spirit of the law" to you also?

As a Brocos fan, I felt the play and call was definately Snake-like, BUT it is what it is!

If it worked and it was well within Rules, then kudos to Mr Shanahan.

There are plenty of crap that goes on around the NFL that could be "re-vamped" or changed but this is what makes the game exciting and tactical.

It's kind of like a batter asking for time and stepping out, sometimes they aren't granted time because it's just too late.

Two VERY unrelated sports and situations.

"asking the refs in secret"

Is or is not DEN given timeouts in the overtime period? And are they or are they not allowed to call them as they see fit? Teams talk to the refs about calling timeouts regularly. For instance, at the end of games when they are running out the clock but don't want to take a delay of game penalty. Does that fall outside "the spirit of the law" to you also?

Let him complain, BB. It was a little shady, and it isn't going to change the win. If someone did it to us, I'd be pissed too.

Surprised nobody mentioned that his miss from 52 yards out bounced off the TOP of the upright. That is alot of leg!

I was wondering what the call would have been if that kick was two feet higher, and went directly over the upright...the refs would have been in a very tough spot.

And for all the folks that think Denver played this correctly...yes, this time it worked. Would Shanahan conversely be considered a fool if Janikowski had badly missed the 1st kick, only to nail the second? I think icing the kicker is vastly over-rated at the pro level.

On a side note, I am sure Al Davis is somewhere, fuming.

For instance, at the end of games when they are running out the clock but don't want to take a delay of game penalty.

Okay, so when they sneak over to the refs to ask for a timeout do they ask them to call the timeout just before the snap? Or at one second before the playclock runs out?

I'm not complaining and I'm certainly not a Raiders homer. I just think the spirit of the rule is not being followed.

I can only assume that you've been complaining just as loudly for a few decades about Ks getting iced at the end of games right before potential game tying/game winning kicks, because this kind of coaching strategy has ben used as long as I've been associated with football, and at every level where kicking is used to score points.