[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the huge games over for LT due to norv sucking as a coach?

XBonesX

SD's schedule doesn't get ANY easier coming up. In fact, it won't be "easy" till right before playoff time.....at that point, it may be TOO LATE.

People gave this excuse for Lt's start

"I think teams are stacking the box against them"

hello, havn't they been doing this THE LAST 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When has SD EVER had a deep threat, or someone that can stretch the field???

It looks to me that their Oline is just getting hammered, and maybe Neal is not doing his job...

sound off

Changing offense? Perhaps. Lost a step? Perhaps. Not enough leadership and motivation from the head coach down? Tough to tell.

All I know is I watched LTs press conference after the game yesterday and he spent a minute just saying over and over how "disappointed" he was. It was almost like I could hear him thinking the glory days are over. I'm not sure if anyone in the organization knows how to dig themselves out o this hole. I could expect a couple of nice games but LT will be a middle of the pack RB1 this year. Bank on it. :D

SD's schedule doesn't get ANY easier coming up. In fact, it won't be "easy" till right before playoff time.....at that point, it may be TOO LATE.

People gave this excuse for Lt's start

"I think teams are stacking the box against them"

hello, havn't they been doing this THE LAST 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When has SD EVER had a deep threat, or someone that can stretch the field???

It looks to me that their Oline is just getting hammered, and maybe Neal is not doing his job...

sound off

Agree that they didn't have the WR to stretch the field, but they did have Brees that was a threat because he knew where to go with the ball (therefore at causing defenses to worry about the overall passing game). While watching from the sideline, Rivers picked up the intracies of what Brees was doing and was able to step in and continue. Maybe Rivers and the rest just hasn't picked up the new system.... :D

Middle of tier 1 RBs, and certainly not the #1 RB on the board by year's end unless there's a whole section of the SD playbook that has yet to be revealed. That would put him around FWP, LJ, and Westbrook. Which is exactly where I thought he would be by year's end. I

hope the best for him and his owner's. I know a lot of people would love to see him go back to the 3TD games but trying to find the positives here is just looking at th other side of the coin. i.e. At least he's not stinking up the joint like LJ, SJax, or even Gore. Hardly positive, imho.

The thing about LT is that he has now found himself in a crappy situation and seems to be getting down about it (see press conference ytesterday). LT has proven himself to be an emotional player and I could see things getting ugly as things are not looking rosy in SD. But the incredible thing about LT, and why you want to keep him on your team, is he is an emotional leader and a gifted player. I wouldn't bet against him but I don't see a light yet is all I'm saying.

Edited by Gros Membres!

Nor was firing a coach after a 14-2 season, but this is the Chargers we're talking about after all.

That point was made on Football Night In America last night and when you actually sit down and think about it, there can't be another instance of a coach being fired after going 14-2, surely? Not in the NFL anyway. Even if HC and GM really didn't like each other, it seems obvious they were both doing a good job so the professional thing to do would be to get on with it, just like most of us do with people we don't like every day.

Well, in Norv's defense, I heard he at least kept the same terminolgy from the old system. Although it is not MUCH of a defense.

I think a big key is that Chargers were not as good as their record last year.they overachieved. any time a team overachieves the next year is a let down. and when teams overachieve owners start to think the talent is there and something else held them back(especially when you go 14-2) when they actually don't have the talent to win it. then owners make changes ( like coaching) thinking that will get them to the next level.

I think a big key is that Chargers were not as good as their record last year.they overachieved. any time a team overachieves the next year is a let down. and when teams overachieve owners start to think the talent is there and something else held them back(especially when you go 14-2) when they actually don't have the talent to win it. then owners make changes ( like coaching) thinking that will get them to the next level.

I agree. Last year their schedule was not difficult at all, and they ran thru the bad teams which made them look fantastic. Norv looks to give up on the run easier then Shotty, and their Defense has taken a step back from last season too

That point was made on Football Night In America last night and when you actually sit down and think about it, there can't be another instance of a coach being fired after going 14-2, surely? Not in the NFL anyway. Even if HC and GM really didn't like each other, it seems obvious they were both doing a good job so the professional thing to do would be to get on with it, just like most of us do with people we don't like every day.

And now the Chargers are paying the price.

I still think they end up with a winning record and may squeak into the playoffs though.

I agree. Last year their schedule was not difficult at all, and they ran thru the bad teams which made them look fantastic. Norv looks to give up on the run easier then Shotty, and their Defense has taken a step back from last season too

Last season Schotts knew their line was not that good so they pulled up everyone and put everyone in man on man in the secondary(which made Jammer look much worse than he is).

In doing this the Charger line looked much better than it actually was. not that I think their line is bad because it is not. it just is not as good as looked last year. just as their secondary was not as bad.

As big of a Megan Fox as Eli looked for refusing to go to the Chargers (especially with daddy at the draft), this is probably a good example of why he made that decision. Even with all of the talent in the world on the field, the front office will find a way to screw it up.

As big of a Megan Fox as Eli looked for refusing to go to the Chargers (especially with daddy at the draft), this is probably a good example of why he made that decision. Even with all of the talent in the world on the field, the front office will find a way to screw it up.

I am never a fan of a guy who won't go to a team that drafts him. but I will acknowledge them. I think of alot of peoples downing of Eli Manning comes from that.

I am never a fan of a guy who won't go to a team that drafts him. but I will acknowledge them. I think of alot of peoples downing of Eli Manning comes from that.

Agreed about that last point. Peyton and Archie have both said that Jim Irsay's hiring of Bill Polian made Indy an attractive option in their eyes. If it weren't for Polian, Peyton may have "pulled an Eli" as well.

There are Five things wrong with San Diego this year vs. last year.

1. Norv Turner- he is a solid play caller but that's it. When he is responsible for to much he doesn’t do anything well. If you let him focus on the O then he's done pretty well. However, he has never impressed me as a mastermind just average to good x's and o's guy. As far as managing a team, I have my doubts.

2. They need to get LT in space. He is a satellite as Parcells put it. Last year when Marty started to get LT in space on dump offs and screens, he forced the D to play back more. LT is not the kind of grind it out horse. He is a thoroughbred that needs to be in the open field. 3 line dives in a row when they were up 7 is not going to get it done. The stretch play only works if inside running is working.

3. WR are young, inexperience, slow and not very talented. They have no deep threat that anyone worries about. Davis is a speedster but he's still learning how to release off the line of scrimmage so vet DB's don't worry to much about him beating them deep. He has a lot to learn.

4. Management is not very good. They drafted Leaf over Manning. Fired a coach that went 14-2, then wait till most all the coaches are hired before settling for Norv. They let the best D coordinator go and start over from scratch with a new system on both sides of the ball. You have to expect some drop off from 14-2 with new system in place.

5.Rivers may or may not be the answer. He is showing flashes but he is also set back because of the changes. Last year was his first year starting under a system he understood and felt comfortable with. Now he is in his second year learning a new system and under a new regime. He didn't play lights out last year but we didn't notice because LT was going off every game. What's changed? LT is not going off because of play calling and play design. Marty may not have been the most creative guy but he sure found ways to get LT in space and in one on one's, which he wins 10 of 10.

Edited by Cowboyz1

• 1 month later...
Bringing in a new system when the old system helped lead them to a 14-2 record was not very smart anyways IMO.

Nor was an owner listening to a GM with a godlike complex giving ultimatums over a coach who was one player's mistake (didn't kneel interception) from the super bowl. Why on earth would you listen to a GM who has never lead a team, lead a practice, never coached or played, has not earned any of the player's respect, never constructed a playbook, etc. Charger fans can not be pleased with the owner or GM. Again, thank you jerry jones for not jiring Norv.