[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An update on JulieB

Big F'n Dave

Another update: JulieB had the heart cath done yesterday and there were no blockages. Her cardiologist didn't seem at all surprised by this based on her cholesterol numbers and other factors.

This is where things got scary again. At our first appointment where he discovered the problem, he told us that Julie's heart was pumping at less than 50 percent. Yesterday following the test, he told us he was encouraged because it was working at about 30 percent. I asked him what it was at his office and he said about 15 percent. :D It's kind of hard to quantify things like this with numbers, he said. And 15 is below 50, but I was floored to hear how weak her heart was/is.

He went on to confirm his original diagnosis of congestive heart failure caused by a viral infection. He said the fact that her heart is pumping twice as efficiently as it was a week-and-a-half ago showed that the current course of treatment is working and said he was encouraged that she would continue to improve. Other than a follow-up with him next week, he said he didn't need to see her again for six months. If he doesn't see the improvement he wants by that point, he said we should discuss options like a pacemaker.

This doc is a really nice guy and from everything I can find, he's a very good cardiologist. He's been in practice for 25 years and he's Indian (from the continent - not the reservation) and I see those as plusses. However, he's a very busy guy with (from what I can gather) an immense patient load. He passes on information very quickly and then disappears before I really have a chance to process everything. I realized yesterday after he'd vanished that I've never gotten to ask what I see as the most obvious question concerning Julie: What is her longterm prognosis? I understand that this guy is a doctor, not a fortuneteller but I'd still like to know what he sees for her in the future.

I'm strongly leaning towards seeking a second opinion, though I'm not real sure how my insurance company would feel about it. It's not that I don't trust this guy, but I'd just like to have another set of eyes see the same thing he's seeing.

Still digging on all the prayers and good thoughts, y'all. Keep 'em coming.

Another update: JulieB had the heart cath done yesterday and there were no blockages. Her cardiologist didn't seem at all surprised by this based on her cholesterol numbers and other factors.

This is where things got scary again. At our first appointment where he discovered the problem, he told us that Julie's heart was pumping at less than 50 percent. Yesterday following the test, he told us he was encouraged because it was working at about 30 percent. I asked him what it was at his office and he said about 15 percent. :D

:D:wacko::wacko:

It's kind of hard to quantify things like this with numbers, he said. And 15 is below 50, but I was floored to hear how weak her heart was/is.

He went on to confirm his original diagnosis of congestive heart failure caused by a viral infection. He said the fact that her heart is pumping twice as efficiently as it was a week-and-a-half ago showed that the current course of treatment is working and said he was encouraged that she would continue to improve. Other than a follow-up with him next week, he said he didn't need to see her again for six months.

:wacko:
If he doesn't see the improvement he wants by that point, he said we should discuss options like a pacemaker.
I will hope it doesn't come to that, but having a pacemaker put in sounds a lot less scary than a heart pumping at 15%
This doc is a really nice guy and from everything I can find, he's a very good cardiologist. He's been in practice for 25 years and he's Indian (from the continent - not the reservation) and I see those as plusses. However, he's a very busy guy with (from what I can gather) an immense patient load. He passes on information very quickly and then disappears before I really have a chance to process everything. I realized yesterday after he'd vanished that I've never gotten to ask what I see as the most obvious question concerning Julie: What is her longterm prognosis? I understand that this guy is a doctor, not a fortuneteller but I'd still like to know what he sees for her in the future.

I'm strongly leaning towards seeking a second opinion, though I'm not real sure how my insurance company would feel about it. It's not that I don't trust this guy, but I'd just like to have another set of eyes see the same thing he's seeing.

Tell your insurance company that this doc wants to perform a very high-priced procedure and see if they will let you get a second opinion instead of telling them that the current doc doesn't really want to do anything.

Still digging on all the prayers and good thoughts, y'all. Keep 'em coming.
absolutely