[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the philosophical minded huddlers

TheGrunt

Wait.....isn't there a mismatch here between "human life" and "intelligent life"? Isn't it possible that of all the billions of ways the universe could have developed, it is almost inevitable that some form of intelligent life (not necessarily human life) would appear?

Highly unlikely according to the theory, but your talking about manipulating the fabric of the universe on some pretty large scales and most permutations end up with the unliklihood of planets evolving. No planet, no life. To talk about intelligence outside of carbon based life forms? Outside a physical, biochemical structure? I'm down with that metaphysical jazz, but that's all it is, I think.

Edited by billay

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...too bad I didn't find this thread a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I wrote the same paper several years ago and would have been willing to offer my opinions. It's been a while since I participated in a philsophical discussion, but you gotta love 'em. 3 1/2 pages of thoughful, insightful, relatively logically sound points....and everyone's agreed on nothing. Fantastic.

Let me know if you're still looking for input for this paper...or future papers. I ended up with degrees in philosophy and religion (and psychology), and I imagine the paper topics haven't changed much in the past 6 or 7 years.

Cheers

Hmm...too bad I didn't find this thread a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I wrote the same paper several years ago and would have been willing to offer my opinions. It's been a while since I participated in a philsophical discussion, but you gotta love 'em. 3 1/2 pages of thoughful, insightful, relatively logically sound points....and everyone's agreed on nothing. Fantastic.

Let me know if you're still looking for input for this paper...or future papers. I ended up with degrees in philosophy and religion (and psychology), and I imagine the paper topics haven't changed much in the past 6 or 7 years.

Cheers

LOL...spot on! :D

Cheers

I had so much fun with this thread that I'll be posting another thread for my next essay question. I should have a couple of them this term, so keep checking back for the philosophical thread v2.0 in the next couple of weeks -- possibly the next week or so. :D:D It'll be a whole different philosophical question, and hopefully I'll have a lot more insight by then to be able to reasonably answer/object to all of the questions regarding the paper.

3 1/2 pages of thoughful, insightful, relatively logically sound points....and everyone's agreed on nothing. Fantastic.

there are many possible responses to this statement. the first 2 that popped into my head were:

"welcome to the tailgate."

and the second was:

"well, did you really expect us to come to consensus on the meaning of the life after just 3 and 1/2 pages? give us 10 at least."

others?