[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

California fires

whomper

Boy Started California Fire, Officials Say

By DAISY NGUYEN,AP

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (Oct. 31) -- Officials blamed a wildfire that consumed more than 38,000 acres and destroyed 21 homes last week on a boy playing with matches, and said they would ask a prosecutor to consider the case.

The boy, whose name and age were not released, admitted to sparking the fire on Oct. 21, Los Angeles County sheriff's Sgt. Diane Hecht said Tuesday. Ferocious winds helped it quickly spread.

"He admitted to playing with matches and accidentally starting the fire," Hecht said in a statement.

The boy was released to his parents, and the case will be presented to the district attorney's office, Hecht said. It was not clear if he had been arrested or cited by detectives.

The fire began in an area near Agua Dulce and quickly spread. It was among 15 or so major wildfires that destroyed some 2,100 homes and blackened 809 square miles from Los Angeles to the Mexican border last week. Seven deaths were blamed directly on the fires, six evacuees died of natural causes and one person died of a fall.

Authorities arrested five people for arson during that period, but none have been linked to any of the major blazes.

All but four of the blazes are now fully contained. Firefighters on Wednesday continued to cut lines around the remaining fires and kept a close eye on the weather.

Strange... I haven't heard one word about whether the fires have also spread down into Mexico. Even all of the news coverage that I've seen has shown specific maps of the fires, but everything south of the U.S. border just gets grayed out. So, did the fires spead into Mexico at all? If so, is it contained down there? :D

Strange... I haven't heard one word about whether the fires have also spread down into Mexico. Even all of the news coverage that I've seen has shown specific maps of the fires, but everything south of the U.S. border just gets grayed out. So, did the fires spead into Mexico at all? If so, is it contained down there? :D

I don't think any of the fires were in Mexico. Apparently they sent fire crews to help us though.

INS officials are still looking for 73 of them. :D

Mexico doesn't get the huge brushfires like we get north of the border. This is because much of their land (except for Tijuana) is undeveloped and because they have less in the way of fire-fighting resources available. Therefore, they get smaller brush fires occurring all year long. In southern California the land east of San Diego and L.A. has been developed ,and therefore we try to put out EVERY fire that occurs. This leaves vast acres of brush available to fuel fast-moving brushfires during a Santa Anna condition like we had recently.