[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Squirrels, invasion, power lines, and Rod Johnson...

ABearWithFurniture

ASHLAND, Wis. - It was an unlucky day for two squirrels and hundreds of Midwestern power customers.

Brian Elwood, a spokesman for Xcel Energy, said a squirrel came in contact with an overhead transformer and knocked out service to 177 customers Monday. Power was fully restored in just under an hour, and repair crews found the remains of the "unfortunate squirrel," he said.

By coincidence, another squirrel got into a substation 40 miles away in Ironwood, Mich., Monday morning and caused a temporary outage that affected about 1,400 customers in Ironwood and two nearby communities, Elwood said.

The utility takes many preventive steps to keep the curious animals away from lines, he said, but they are one of the leading causes of outages, trailing only severe weather.

"We kind of liken it to anyone who's had a bird feeder and tried to keep the squirrels out," he said. "They find a way."

Rod Johnson was stuck on an elevator at the city's Enterprise Center, where he works, when the power went out.

"For a couple of minutes there, I wasn't sure if I'd make it to Thanksgiving," said Johnson, who said he is somewhat claustrophobic. "They kept talking to me while they were trying to open it up, though, so that helped."

Once a firefighter opened the door, Johnson wasted no time in getting out.

"I'm surprised I didn't knock him down," he said.

:D What kind of parent names their child Rod Johnson...

ASHLAND, Wis. - It was an unlucky day for two squirrels and hundreds of Midwestern power customers.

Brian Elwood, a spokesman for Xcel Energy, said a squirrel came in contact with an overhead transformer and knocked out service to 177 customers Monday. Power was fully restored in just under an hour, and repair crews found the remains of the "unfortunate squirrel," he said.

By coincidence, another squirrel got into a substation 40 miles away in Ironwood, Mich., Monday morning and caused a temporary outage that affected about 1,400 customers in Ironwood and two nearby communities, Elwood said.

The utility takes many preventive steps to keep the curious animals away from lines, he said, but they are one of the leading causes of outages, trailing only severe weather.

"We kind of liken it to anyone who's had a bird feeder and tried to keep the squirrels out," he said. "They find a way."

Rod Johnson was stuck on an elevator at the city's Enterprise Center, where he works, when the power went out.

"For a couple of minutes there, I wasn't sure if I'd make it to Thanksgiving," said Johnson, who said he is somewhat claustrophobic. "They kept talking to me while they were trying to open it up, though, so that helped."

Once a firefighter opened the door, Johnson wasted no time in getting out.

"I'm surprised I didn't knock him down," he said.

:D What kind of parent names their child Rod Johnson...

:D I had a college teacher named Harry Cox.

Edited by The Holy Roller

A Gyno that lived in KC and in my subdivision for a long time had the name of Harry Beaver. Well documented in these parts, was all over morning radio here. They finally moved to NC somewhere. They were a nice family though, the two boys grew up with me and were cool to hang with.

I work for the electric co. and we have a picture of a squirrel dressed in the old black and white prison uniform with a "Public enemy #1" tag on it.. Squirrels knock out power about 5 days a week and we have 4 different contraptions that we add to transformers to prevent them front touching the 2 bushings at the same time.. Right now we strictly put up one bushing transformers with the lowside connection on the side.. Large wingspan birds are also a problem when they get ready to take off and touch both highside wires. and then there is always the drunks who never make the turn!!!!