[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1 more month

dmarc117

Congratulations on publishing your study on how second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer. Where did you study medicine anyways?

:D so now it's on me to prove a negative? from the data i've seen, the link between second hand smoke and cancer is a very weak one in the first place, but assuming there is a link, the risk is only substantial if you are regularly exposed, like if you live with a smoker.

however, if i am wrong and there are independent studies indicating that smelling a little smoke at the bar every once in a while leads to increased incidence of lung cancer, i'd love to see them.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D so now it's on me to prove a negative? from the data i've seen, the link between second hand smoke and cancer is a very weak one in the first place, but assuming there is a link, the risk is only substantial if you are regularly exposed, like if you live with a smoker.

however, if i am wrong and there are independent studies indicating that smelling a little smoke at the bar every once in a while leads to increased incidence of lung cancer, i'd love to see them.

See my previous post with a link. Plenty of evidence and data.

Smoking is a personal decision that has a direct negative effect on the people around you. Nobody has the right to pollute our breathing air.

Why is it acceptable to infringe upon the free will of restaurant and bar owners? No one is forcing you to go to the greasy spoon, strong mixed drinks, alcoholic smoky dive for your biscuits and gravy.

Maybe its just me... maybe I missed it. But where on that website is the study that shows the causal link between second-hand smoke and cancer?

It shows 3 agencies have "classified" second-hand smoke as a carcinogen. And it "estimates" that living with second-hand smoke increases risk of cancer. I just didn't see that actual study. And trust me... I WANT to see it. Show me.

Why is it acceptable to infringe upon the free will of restaurant and bar owners? No one is forcing you to go to the greasy spoon, strong mixed drinks, alcoholic smoky dive for your biscuits and gravy.

Smoking in a private club I have no problem with, Ruby Tuesdays and TGI Fridays are public places.

Maybe its just me... maybe I missed it. But where on that website is the study that shows the causal link between second-hand smoke and cancer?

It shows 3 agencies have "classified" second-hand smoke as a carcinogen. And it "estimates" that living with second-hand smoke increases risk of cancer. I just didn't see that actual study. And trust me... I WANT to see it. Show me.

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2).

Not sure what more you want. They state pretty clearly that inhaling secondhand smoke causes cancer and that 3000~ non-smokers die each year from cancer as a result of exposure from secondhand smoke. Doesn't matter where you breathe it, it's killing you just the same.

Ruby Tuesdays and TGI Fridays are public places.

They are privately owned and the owners should have the right to make their own decision. if you don't want to breath nasty ass 2nd hand smoke....order take out or go somewhere else.

Some of us clearly want govt. to be a mommy and daddy. Others despise it.

Congratulations on publishing your study on how second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer. Where did you study medicine anyways?

Smoking pollutes the air that we all must breathe, smoking in public should be banned. If you want to be an idiot and smoke do it in your own house with the windows shut. And if you smoke in your car keep your windows up and put your butts in your ashtray and keep them off our roads and sidewalks.

You. Go to France now. Seriously. You're ruining this country and we want you gone.

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2).

Not sure what more you want. They state pretty clearly that inhaling secondhand smoke causes cancer and that 3000~ non-smokers die each year from cancer as a result of exposure from secondhand smoke. Doesn't matter where you breathe it, it's killing you just the same.

Ever hear of radon? How do they no it is due to secondhand smoke and not radon?

They are privately owned and the owners should have the right to make their own decision. if you don't want to breath nasty ass 2nd hand smoke....order take out or go somewhere else.

Sorry you're wrong. As defined by most, if not all, state's legislation a "Public place" means any place not open to the sky into which the public is invited or allowed. A private residence is NOT a public place unless it is a day care.

And again I ask. If government can not pass a law protecting the public from smokers who harm the public then how should the public enforce it's right to unpolluted air? Fists? Guns?

Sorry you're wrong. As defined by most, if not all, state's legislation a "Public place" means any place not open to the sky into which the public is invited or allowed. A private residence is NOT a public place unless it is a day care.

And again I ask. If government can not pass a law protecting the public from smokers who harm the public then how should the public enforce it's right to unpolluted air? Fists? Guns?

I tell you what, give up your car and then we can talk about unpolluted air.

Exactly what part of that statement confuses you?

Perhaps because, like a private club, Ruby Tuesdays and whatever other place you mentioned are places that you can either choose to patronize or not. Unlike a subway train or courtroom or other place that you might have to go to everyday that you can't avoid and thus should be entitled to do so without breathing someone else's smoke, you can either go to these restaurants or not.

I can assure you that market pressure will end up forcing plenty of places to go smokeless. Those who want a smoke free dining experience will end up with no shortage of options.

If me and bushwacked can agree on something it must be correct. Government needs to get out of private businesses as much as possible. If you believe 2nd hand smoke at a bar a couple of hours a week is going to kill you, then don't go the bar, or better yet open a non-smoking bar.

I tell you what, give up your car and then we can talk about unpolluted air.

Cars are a necessity, smoking is not. Not even close.

Try not to confuse me for some hippie liberal tree hugging PETA moran. I'm not. Can someone just answer me one question. Why do smokers have the right to harm the public in public places? Why?

Perhaps because, like a private club, Ruby Tuesdays and whatever other place you mentioned are places that you can either choose to patronize or not. Unlike a subway train or courtroom or other place that you might have to go to everyday that you can't avoid and thus should be entitled to do so without breathing someone else's smoke, you can either go to these restaurants or not.

I can assure you that market pressure will end up forcing plenty of places to go smokeless. Those who want a smoke free dining experience will end up with no shortage of options.

Restaurants, like Ruby Tuesdays, are open to the public. Hence public places. If they want to be private then they need to go private and require membership.

Restaurants, like Ruby Tuesdays, are open to the public. Hence public places. If they want to be private then they need to go private and require membership.

Any place in our county that has a bar or serves alcohol requires a private membership. I agree with you about smoking in public places. Hell, I agree with you it is a nasty habit, and I wish I never had to be around someone that smokes. That being said I strongly disagree with the government forcing private businesses to do anything.

Cars are a necessity, smoking is not. Not even close.

Try not to confuse me for some hippie liberal tree hugging PETA moran. I'm not. Can someone just answer me one question. Why do smokers have the right to harm the public in public places? Why?

:D Yer a moran.