[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm back

Sugar Magnolia

Okay....27 replies and no reply from you..... :D

You better reply or Big John will put you back on the MIA list! :wacko:

BTW.... I'm overdue for that thingee. Will you take it for me??? :D

An urgent message to all of you-don't ignore symptoms because you want to avoid the doc or procedure. The torment I have put myself through the last few months wondering if I was really sick or not was way worse than the procedure.

Would you feel comfortable describing the symptoms you were experiencing? And what they actually turned out to be?

I'm both scared of doctors and a hypocondriac, which is not a good combination. . .

Would you feel comfortable describing the symptoms you were experiencing? And what they actually turned out to be?

I'm both scared of doctors and a hypocondriac, which is not a good combination. . .

To possibly help a Hudder family member, I will go into detail about my bowel movements over the past year.

I started to have symptoms a year ago November, but it would come and go. As the months progressed, it got worse. My symptoms were hard and bloody stools and straining to go. I kept increasing my fiber intake, eventually having to use fiber supplements to stay regular, otherwise almost my entire diet would have to be all carbs and fiber. The avg. person takes in about 10-15 grams of fiber a day, the FDA requirements are 20-25 grams, and eventually I was needing 25-30 every day and still having symptoms. I wanted to be absolutely sure I needed the colonoscopy since I dreaded the procedure, so I kept convincing myself it was probably just hemorrhoids and lack of fiber. For almost a year, I'd get symptoms and get ready to call my doctor, and then the symptoms would go away for a couple of weeks, and then come back, and then I'd get all worried again. By the time I called the doc. I was bleeding almost every day.

When reading all about colon cancer symptoms on the internet, I found that often the only symptoms people have are bloody stools and constipation, and by the time they do bleed, it can be in the advanced stages of cancer-why screening is so important. Colon cancer is the #2 killing cancer. I also learned that for a polyp to go from benign to malignant takes 10 years or more, so if you have a clean colonoscopy, you may not need another one for 10 years. My doctor recommends one every 5 years whether clean or not since polyps can be missed in screening. I totally freaked out because by the time I faced up to it, I had these symptoms for a year and if malignant, I allowed it to go untreated for a year. BTW, not all polyps will become cancer.

I was lucky that I had a benign polyp that bled and from what I understand, benign polyps rarely bleed. Why that was lucky for me is I am 2 months shy of my 50th b-day, and age 50 is when you should get your first colonoscopy. Up to that point, I had no immediate plans to have the procedure and probably wouldn't have for 10 years if ever, if I had not gotten these symptoms. just because of the horror stories I heard about the procedure. Waiting years to have the colonoscopy could have been too late for me.

Like I mentioned, the procedure is so easy-easier than most dental appts. I've had. I wish my dentist would give me drugs where I wake up and don't remember a thing. The drugs you are given cause amnesia so even though you are awake, you don't remember a thing. The doc told my husband that they had to give me a lot of pain medication, so I must have told them I was in pain, but I don't remember.

So there you have it.