[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ten Reasons Why OSU wins the BCS NC

Rockerbraves

Again understand I'm not against a playoff, but not one to include more than 8.

For #1 & 2 Please refer to the thread about what the experts are saying.

It's nice to hear your opinion which is great but please don't say there are many of us meaning the majority or worse yet you mean the people on this board. Sorry no offense, but I think I'll take the so called experts opinions more so than the a couple of people on a forum.

3.) An 8 team playoff might work perfectly this year, but not needed most years. What teams would you have had in there last season. Notre Dame? Wake Forest? Don't see the need.

4.) Re-read what happened at LSU basketball. You are only fooling yourself first if you think top teams at the end of season would drop out of the playoffs if they lost a late game aka USC and Michigan in 2006 / LSU, OSU & Missouri in 2007. Secondly, I find it difficut to believe that Pete Carroll would play his best players at less than 100% late in the season if he knew he was already in the playoffs just to give himself a better chance of earning a higher seed. Again re-read what happen at LSU basketball. Most top teams think they can beat any team any place, so I don't think they would risk the big picture just for a slightly better seed.

Dude, if you have a shot at one of the top 4 seeds in a 12 team tourney and thus, get a bye, you can be damned well sure you're going to play to win. If you have no shot at those top 4 seeds then it means you are outside the top 6 or 7 and thus by no means a shoe in to make the top 12 if you lose, so again, you play to win. Further more, a lot of the teams are playing major rivalry games the last week of the season so they're likely going to bring it all. How bad would it look if, say OSU mailed it in against Big Blue, lost that game and then stumbled anyway in the play-offs?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's about the numbers. I don't give 2 chits about Ohio State or Michigan, or any other big name program that MIGHT (highly unlikely) pack it in late in the season if they knew they'd be in the playoffs. I'm concerned about the big picture, the fact that it is an uneven playing field from the moment the polls come out. You're right the best team isn't always the team that wins it all, but guess what, the best team isn't necesarily great to begin with. Great teams are the ones that exceed both in regular season AND in post season.

Not sure how this thread got so side track, but back to the topic "Why Ohio State will win the BCS NC"

Here's a fictional article I found by what has to be a TOS like suckeye fan. You know the kind of fan I'm talking about. The one who uses sarcasm when faced with a challenge.

COLUMBUS - In an unprecedented move, The Ohio State University announced today that it is declining its invitation to play for the BCS National Championship versus Louisiana State University, in New Orleans on January 7th.

"We've decided it is not in our best interest to participate this year," OSU President Gordon Gee said. "I mean, we can all read the papers. We have no shot in this game, and I fear for the safety of our players. That said, we're setting up an alternate game for our players and fans in Cleveland, January 5th." When asked who the Buckeyes would play and what would be the purpose of the game, Gee replied, "I've extended an invitation to my former employer, Vanderbilt University, to play us in the inaugural Buckeye Bowl. We figure that despite being 4-1 in BCS bowls, it became apparent 11 months ago that the Commodores are the only SEC team we might be able to beat at a neutral site, like Cleveland. Of course, given that Vandy is one of the few SEC schools that actually has academic requirements for their football players, there may be some logistical issues - called classes - that could stand in the way," Gee said.

When reached for comment Ohio State coach Jim Tressel had this to say, "I can't imagine going through that again. I mean, despite having 5 national championship rings, the last one coming after beating a Miami team loaded with NFL stars and riding a 34 game winning streak, losing our first BCS bowl in five tries told me I had no business trying to win another title. I can't believe we were even ranked this year." Some reporters expressed surprise at the negativity of Tressel's comments, to which he replied, "Spurrier was right. Vanderbilt would easily win our conference. That's why we want to play them. We don't expect to win, we just want to see if we can score. They have southern speed, but not as much as the rest of their conference, so we might be able to kick a FG, or two."

When asked how he would prepare for the game, Coach stated, "I don't know, really. They're just so fast. I just hope I can slow down the equipment enough to actually see SEC players on video. Usually they just look like a blur. Anyway, we'll give it a shot - Vanderbilt, that is. There's no way in hell I'm going to New Orleans."

At this point, LSU has no opponent for January 7th. BCS Chairman and SEC Commissioner Mike Slive lamented, "We're just going down the list of schools in alphabetical order. We're down to the R's and no one has accepted, yet. We're thinking of calling the New England Patriots, although I'm not sure they'll want any part of the Tigers, either."

Tickets for the Buckeye Bowl cost $5, and the game will be carried live on Spike TV.

Again understand I'm not against a playoff, but not one to include more than 8.

For #1 & 2 Please refer to the thread about what the experts are saying.

It's nice to hear your opinion which is great but please don't say there are many of us meaning the majority or worse yet you mean the people on this board. Sorry no offense, but I think I'll take the so called experts opinions more so than the a couple of people on a forum.

3.) An 8 team playoff might work perfectly this year, but not needed most years. What teams would you have had in there last season. Notre Dame? Wake Forest? Don't see the need.

4.) Re-read what happened at LSU basketball. You are only fooling yourself first if you think top teams at the end of season would drop out of the playoffs if they lost a late game aka USC and Michigan in 2006 / LSU, OSU & Missouri in 2007. Secondly, I find it difficut to believe that Pete Carroll would play his best players at less than 100% late in the season if he knew he was already in the playoffs just to give himself a better chance of earning a higher seed. Again re-read what happen at LSU basketball. Most top teams think they can beat any team any place, so I don't think they would risk the big picture just for a slightly better seed.

Don't put words in my mouth. You have enough trouble with the words in yours. I said many of us, meaning many of us. "Experts", fans, etc... Many of the so called pundits or experts that you are challenging everyone to find saying that LSU doesn't belong are not exactly giving ringing endorsements. I'm hearing and reading things like " sure I guess" and "why not" when posed the question about LSU deserving. I've also heard over and over and over that OU, GA and USC are playing better football than anyone in the country.

I didn't mention a playoff.

If you believe a 7th ranked, 2-loss LSU team loses to Tennessee in the SEC championship game and ends up with 3 losses still makes an 8 team playoff you're sniffing glue.

Edited by BS Miscreant

Don't put words in my mouth. You have enough trouble with the words in yours. I said many of us, meaning many of us. "Experts", fans, etc... Many of the so called pundits or experts that you are challenging everyone to find saying that LSU doesn't belong are not exactly giving ringing endorsements. I'm hearing and reading things like " sure I guess" and "why not" when posed the question about LSU deserving. I've also heard over and over and over that OU, GA and USC are playing better football than anyone in the country.

I didn't mention a playoff.

If you believe a 7th ranked, 2-loss LSU team loses to Tennessee in the SEC championship game and ends up with 3 losses still makes an 8 team playoff you're sniffing glue.

Funny how you used the word "Many" yet you haven't produced one link. :D

OU, GA & USC - Now you want to decide the champ of that month. :D

You didn't mention playoff. Might want to look back at your post. Geez... :wacko:

Rather deal in reality than "what ifs" LSU didn't lose to the Vols. They did however lose to the Hogs late i& still would have made an 8 team playoff. :D

Funny how you used the word "Many" yet you haven't produced one link. :D

OU, GA & USC - Now you want to decide the champ of that month. :D

You didn't mention playoff. Might want to look back at your post. Geez... :D

Rather deal in reality than "what ifs" LSU didn't lose to the Vols. They did however lose to the Hogs late i& still would have made an 8 team playoff. :D

Comment 1

I'm sorry there "professor" rockerbraves, I didn't realize I was writing a term paper. Should I also include a bibliography? Just because you are so desperate to "prove"(and I use the term loosely) your point thus taking the time to "document"(and I use the term loosely) everything you say does not mean that I (or anyone else) feel the need to spend valauable time "researching" and "proving" what I have to say here. I know what I've heard and read and it appears more and more to me that you are either one of those people who just hear what they want or are a complete boob.

"FWIW - both Corso and Herbie in the ESP Championship Series both had the same NC matchup

OKL/OSU......................OKL advances

VTech/USC..................USC advances

OKL/USC NC matchup

discuss..................................................... :wacko: "

Again with the whole "hearing what you want". NO, I did NOT mention a playoff with regard to the comment you referenced. I asked why people were pushing the +1 idea this year. Maybe you should "look back at (my) post".

Here, I did mention a playoff but only to refute the weak ass arguments that I've seen presented against them. You said a playoff would cheapen the regular season and teams might not play hard late. Is the previous statement not a "what if"? You don't like the LSU losing the SEC CG idea because it offends your sensibilities then fine. "What if" 7th ranked/2-loss Florida loses in the SEC CG to a 14th ranked/3-loss Auburn team? Does Florida make an 8 team playoff? No way in hell as long as you have OSU, OU, Mizzou, KU, WVU, VT, GA, USC, ASU, Hawaii all sitting there with 0, 1 or 2 losses. The SEC is very good but you can't justify a 3 loss LSU Florida squad in that scenario. Dude, at least pretend to be a little realistic. Show us a sign. I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for you.

FWIW - both Corso and Herbie in the ESP Championship Series both had the same NC matchup

OKL/OSU......................OKL advances

VTech/USC..................USC advances

OKL/USC NC matchup

discuss..................................................... :D

Only issue here is choklahoma lost to TT and CU....and USC could not beat Stanford (without Tiger Woods)..........NEXT!!!!!!

Shame the best bowl game will long be played before we get to this mythical championship game.

The best bowl game.....or game in HISTORY was just voted by ESPN to be Boise St vs. OU........so you are correct, the best game will have been played before this game......I watch it every night before bed.......ZZZZZZ sweet dreams..........with one eye open.....was that the statue of........no.....ZZZZZZZ