[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1080P HDTV deal

Randall

the only thing I have to say about 1080p is that if you plan on having the TV for more than 5 years, get it. Otherewise you can probably save some money.

This is my understanding as well. Additionally, I believe you need to use HDMI to achieve full 1080P as well.

Is this true? When the Comcast guy installed my HD he used RCA jacks, not HDMI. I asked him why and he said it actually gives a stronger HD and non HD picture.

Is this true? When the Comcast guy installed my HD he used RCA jacks, not HDMI. I asked him why and he said it actually gives a stronger HD and non HD picture.

Who are you going to believe, some random Comcast guy or the Huddle???

:D

At this time, the PS3 only supports 1080p on the HDMI output. I cannot speak for other companies products.

Also, when connecting via component cables, you are converting from digital (D) to analog (A) then back to digital (D) for your TV to display. You are better off removing the D/A and A/D conversions from your video stream as they add error.

Who are you going to believe, some random Comcast guy or the Huddle???

:D

At this time, the PS3 only supports 1080p on the HDMI output. I cannot speak for other companies products.

Also, when connecting via component cables, you are converting from digital (D) to analog (A) then back to digital (D) for your TV to display. You are better off removing the D/A and A/D conversions from your video stream as they add error.

well, the huddle i suppose. but i dont understand why they would do that to begin with then. is it just to save money on cables? and are you saying that the HDMI cable does not have to do that conversion?

well, the huddle i suppose. but i dont understand why they would do that to begin with then. is it just to save money on cables? and are you saying that the HDMI cable does not have to do that conversion?

HDMI cables are not too expensive, ~$15 for a decent one online. To answer your question, Yes.

HDMI is a digital medium, like Toslink or digital coax. Therefore, the cable box can output the digital video signal without messing with it. Then your TV will take that digital signal and adapt it to the native resolution of your TV.

HDMI cables are not too expensive, ~$15 for a decent one online. To answer your question, Yes.

HDMI is a digital medium, like Toslink or digital coax. Therefore, the cable box can output the digital video signal without messing with it. Then your TV will take that digital signal and adapt it to the native resolution of your TV.

thanks jetsfan. i thought it was strange and was planning on changing the cables anyway. now i am sure.

OK, so i hook the DVR box to the tv with HDMI and the audio goes through my receiver via rca. what am i loosing in sound?

Well, that kinda depends on the quality of the receiver and speakers you're delivering sound too. Try it both ways and decide for yourself.

IMO, its not like TV, even HDTV, speakers are all that great. Some can do a virtual or simulated surround sound, but from the couple I've heard, I don't think its anything special.

In my setup I have audio from the cable box going to a 6.1 surround setup through digital optical cable and it blows away the TV speakers if the show can deliver sound in surround.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Well, that kinda depends on the quality of the receiver and speakers you're delivering sound too. Try it both ways and decide for yourself.

IMO, its not like TV, even HDTV, speakers are all that great. Some can do a virtual or simulated surround sound, but from the couple I've heard, I don't think its anything special.

In my setup I have audio from the cable box going to a 6.1 surround setup through digital optical cable and it blows away the TV speakers if the show can deliver sound in surround.

i run an optical from my DVR to my Onkyo 7.1 system....since i set it up last year I NEVER use the TV speakers

OK, so i hook the DVR box to the tv with HDMI and the audio goes through my receiver via rca. what am i loosing in sound?

you are losing a lot of the potential sound quality...

you should have a receiver with HDMI pass-through...it usually has 2 HDMI inputs and one output to the HDTV...

thanks jetsfan. i thought it was strange and was planning on changing the cables anyway. now i am sure.

If I were you - I'd work my way through their customer service dept telling them what you now know and what their guy told you and how you're considering a move to DirectTV -or whatever- because you're a) peeved they'd send someone clearly not qualified to install your system, and in doing so robbed you of picture quality you ARE paying for.

Reason? RCA is the worst possible hookup for this signal:

RCA, or composite, cables

These are the most common cables, used to hook up your standard VCR and stereo equipment. Typically, they are color-coded: red, white, and yellow. Red is for right channel audio. White is for left channel audio. Yellow is for video. The entire video signal is transmitted by one cable. This is the lowest quality cable for a video source, but again, it is also the most common. Most new televisions, all video camcorders, all VCRs, and all videodisc players will have RCA jacks for these cables.

In fact, the signal running through composite ISN'T even HI Def.

In other words, the guy jobbed you and you've been suffering since. I smell a free month if played correctly.

• 1 month later...