[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Want that Cheese Steak? You better be able to speak english.

keggerz

it would be pretty damned foolish of me not to find an employee(s) who could help these people. That's just a matter of adapting to a changing market.

What will you do when the gov't requires you to have linguists on hand who can take orders in 20 of the most popular languages?

Would pointing to menu item be an okay solution?

For me, yes because I'd want their money. But store owners have the right to refuse service to anyone, so long as they don't discriminate against a protected class (race, religion, sex, age, national origin, etc). If the store owner is willing to teach patrons to speak the English they need to order, and they refuse to do so, then he should be within his legal rights to refuse service. At that point he isn't discriminating based on the fact someone doesn't speak English; he's discrimination against those who refuse to learn a half dozen simple words that he's willing to teach. So I don't see how this guy is breaking any laws. He just isn't accommodating non-native speakers to the extent that *they* would like. But hey, sometimes that's what happens when you travel to lands where you don't speak the language. And I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who has been handed all the tools necessary to exercise a little self help, but instead refuses to do so and expects others to accomodate their lack of effort.

That said, my 3-1/2 year olds are already taking Spanish classes. They'll should fluent by the time they graduate 6th grade.

Edited by yo mama

For me, yes because I'd want their money. But store owners have the right to refuse service to anyone, so long as they don't discriminate against a protected class (race, religion, sex, age, national origin, etc). If the store owner is willing to teach patrons to speak the English they need to order, and they refuse to do so, then he should be within his legal rights to refuse service. At that point he isn't discriminating based on the fact someone doesn't speak English; he's discrimination against those who refuse to learn a half dozen simple words that he's willing to teach. So I don't see how this guy is breaking any laws. He just isn't accommodating non-native speakers to the extent that *they* would like. But hey, sometimes that's what happens when you travel to lands where you don't speak the language. And I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who has been handed all the tools necessary to exercise a little self help, but instead refuses to do so and expects others to accomodate their lack of effort.

I don't disagree, but the message is not entirely clear (until it's fully explained) and allows people to think the message is unfair. There is probably a nicer way to handle it, but I am not sure what that is. There are a lot of ignorant people out there (including those newer to this country) and unfortunately you have to be real clear with meanings of things, otherwise those people will assign their own negative meaning to it. This sucks and we shouldn't have to cater to this ignorace, but we do at times.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I don't disagree, but the message is not entirely clear (until it's fully explained) and allows people to think the message is unfair. There is probably a nicer way to handle it, but I am not sure what that is. There are a lot of ignorant people out there (including those newer to this country) and unfortunately you have to be real clear with meanings of things, otherwise those people will assign their own negative meaning to it.

Agreed. But I share the store owner's frustration. When I travel, I make a hugh point to pick up a dozen or so key phrases that I'll need for day to day survival. Once I arrive, I try to interact with the locals to further polish my rudimentary language skills. And that's for a 1 week trip. I'd expect similar effort from someone who travels here; especially someone who elects to live here.

The plain fact is that we're evolving into a bilingual America (in some places faster than others). And I'm fine with that. But that means that non-native speakers need to learn proper English in addition to America become more fluent in Spanish.

Edited by yo mama

Have to agree here!!!! Is that really going to happen??? :D

Oh wait. No. It isn't. You're a moron.

The funny thing is. What he really wants is for the government to step in and tell businesses they can't require speaking a second language for certain jobs because it just doesn't seem fair to him. So he makes up some bizarro situation where his version of being swaddled in big government love is actually protecting us from big government.