[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a smaller HDTV

budlitebrad

I think 26" would probably be the best size since I currently have a 20" CRT. I'll mainly be using it for XBox 360 games and HD-DVD movies, since I don't have an HD cable box in here (yet). My buddy said something about it being easier to get a HDTV that works through composite for the Xbox in addition to HDMI, but I'm not positive on what that means.

Anyone have recommendations on a model and/or good price online? Thanks.

I think 26" would probably be the best size since I currently have a 20" CRT. I'll mainly be using it for XBox 360 games and HD-DVD movies, since I don't have an HD cable box in here (yet). My buddy said something about it being easier to get a HDTV that works through composite for the Xbox in addition to HDMI, but I'm not positive on what that means.

Anyone have recommendations on a model and/or good price online? Thanks.

I just purchased a 37" Vizio for less than $800. I'm very happy with the quality of the picture...especially for the money.

Yea, I was probably gonna stick to 720p. I know 1080p is the native resolution for the 360/HD-DVD but unless I'm sitting <4ft away, I doubt it's worth it.

yeah, 1080p is not worth it unless you have a TV larger than 32"

even at 32" the 1080p has it's place for upscaling DVD's..

After reading dozens of reviews and checking out some store models, I went with the Toshiba Regza 32". The black levels looked good, lots of positive feedback, and it's definitely cheaper than the Samsung. $684 total w/free shipping.

The only downside is that I don't have an Xbox 360 w/ HDMI. I may look at a cheaper upconverting DVD player for ~$50, but I think the Xbox DVD will work until I feel like getting HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

Really, you got proof? Mine has worked just fine with several hundreds of hours of use.

yeah a cousin of mine works at a retail store and was complaining about people buying up the Olevia's because they pay no commission and always get returned within a month because they burn out..

how long have you had it?...

there is no "proof"...it's like buying an RCA brand product....find out for yourself how bad the product is if you really want to..

for the price an Olevia HDTV goes for...I'd rather save up a little more and get something a little bit more reliable...

I mean..you're arguing Olevia...OLEVIA! ahaha....not Sasmsung, Sony, Pioneer...etc. etc.....but Olevia...

come on...

Edited by Avernus

I'm not really arguing anything. This is my second Olevia, the first one lasted over 2 years and was killed by a lightening strike, and it's been since last spring and gets used a lot, hundreds and hundreds of hours so far.

Maybe all the people who burn them out never decrease the backlight because it's set at full blast from the manufacturer. That will burn them out quick.

I'm not really arguing anything. This is my second Olevia, the first one lasted over 2 years and was killed by a lightening strike, and it's been since last spring and gets used a lot, hundreds and hundreds of hours so far.

Maybe all the people who burn them out never decrease the backlight because it's set at full blast from the manufacturer. That will burn them out quick.

he said they are back within a month...that's just crazy..

I mean..you're arguing Olevia...OLEVIA! ahaha....not Sasmsung, Sony, Pioneer...etc. etc.....but Olevia...

Actually, Olevia is actually a Sony product.

E2A: I've been told this by several people but after a quick netsearch have not come up with anything to substantiate it. Stay tuned.

E2AMore: :D My friend who works in the semiconductor industry who knows a thing or two about HDTVs swears that Sony builds Olevia TVs as their "low end" product line. Oh well. He's a Huddler so maybe I'll rattle his cage and have him chime in.

Edited by darin3

E2A: I've been told this by several people but after a quick netsearch have not come up with anything to substantiate it. Stay tuned.

E2AMore: :D My friend who works in the semiconductor industry who knows a thing or two about HDTVs swears that Sony builds Olevia TVs as their "low end" product line. Oh well. He's a Huddler so maybe I'll rattle his cage and have him chime in.

[bJ]It's Syntax-Brillian, not Sony. :D [/bJ]

yuup...and they are horrible TV's...

it's a company that Sony puts out and it's garbage...

WE bought RR Juniorette this Westinghouse... , but we got it for under $600 a week after we bought it, due to a price drop. Nice set, auto-switch when you tune in an HD channel. She lives in a studio apartment, sorta like a bedroom on steroids. The 19" was too small, the 32" is perfect from where and how she watches it.

Olevia gets decent reviews, it's low end, and cheap! You can't compare an Olevia to a Sony, Samsung, etc.. Like Chevy is as good as a Lexus. :D You get what you pay for, but there is nothing wrong w/ the lower end sets, as long as you don't have high expectations for longevity. Chit, I had a friend who got 4 years out of a $6K Hugo...NEW!!! He was having it repaired, it caught fire, and he got another new one for free! 8 years, no outside cost! He was happy. Try arguing a $6K car cost spread over 8 years....you're gonna lose! Not my cup of tea, but it served it's purpose. :D

Guess I got the only two not defective cause they have been a great buy for the price. Lucky me.

yuup...

when you buy a no-name brand....that's what you risk..

I always hear stories about how "I purchased a Sylvania 4 years ago and it's still works!"...

that's fine...that doesn't mean there isn't a large number of people who didn't get past year 1....it happens...

brands like Sony, Samsung etc. cost a lot more, so when their product goes down...everyone hears about it even though their failure rate for their HD sets are very low...

basically.....I said Olevia's are garbage and you purchased 2 of them and they work....and you're lucky...

be sure to knock on wood now.. :D