[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playstation 3 gurus.

Skippy

What the hell am I doing wrong?

I hook the PSIII up to the tv with the cable that came with it and everything works fine. I hook it up with an HDMI cable that I know works on someone else's PSIII but then I can not get any sound. I go all though the settings and I check everything possible just in case but I still can not get sound via the HDMI.

I do not use any other sound system. Just straight to the TV vai HDMI.

Any idea's?

Just hit the mute button again or volume up should do the trick. :D

On a serious note, I really can't help you. Sorry.

Laugh all you want but that was the very first place I started.

The only reason I mentioned it is because that's exactly where I would've started. :D

do you have a digital optical cable? or are there component cables you could try?

I do not have a digital optical cable but I do have component cables. I don't know where you are going with this??? The cable that came with the PSIII hooks up and works fine if that is what you were going for.

I do not have a digital optical cable but I do have component cables. I don't know where you are going with this??? The cable that came with the PSIII hooks up and works fine if that is what you were going for.

well, if the component cables didn't work either, my thinking was maybe it was the ps3.

i googled and found this. maybe it will work for you.

Your PS3 is probably trying to send an audio format that your TV is incapable of decoding. On your PS3, go under Sound Settings>Audio Output Settings>HDMI>Manual> Once you are here you should have only 2 things checked. They are Linear PCM 2 Ch 44.1kHz and Linear PCM 2 Ch 48 kHz. That should do it.

edit: i've also seen suggestions saying to make sure the ps3 is running the latest firmware update. at any rate, i'm sure one of the a/v experts here have better suggestions than i do. good luck.

Edited by montster

If the TV has 2 HDMI inputs, try swapping the cables. I have mine set up for HDMI video, but cabled the sound to my SS system. I dig a little more later.

Edited by rocknrobn26

when you power your PS3 ...hold the power button on the system until you hear a 2nd beep...

this should adjust your settings...if not I will be back later to help..

We will bring it back down and give it a try later today.

If the TV has 2 HDMI inputs, try swapping the cables. I have mine set up for HDMI video, but cabled the sound to my SS system. I dig a little more later.

I did try this.

Having done what you have, the only other possibilities I can think of is there is a setting on the TV audio not set right, or the unit has a bad HDMI out.

I assume you are going directly from the PS3 to the TV, correct? If your going thru the SS, maybe the amp has a special setting, or one those cables is bad. Sorry Skip.

If you know the cable works, you should ask a friend with their PS3 to come over with it: hook his up and if it doesn't works it's your TV and if it does work it's your PS3.

That is about where we are.

There is no amp or anything between the PS and the TV.

I am leaning toward there being some setting on the tv that I have missed at this point.

That is about where we are.

There is no amp or anything between the PS and the TV.

I am leaning toward there being some setting on the tv that I have missed at this point.

I would only assume that if you've succesfully heard sound from your TV from an HDMI signal.

probably have already done this but make sure you have it set for HDMI1 or whatever it is on the TVs remote

are you using the speakers from your TV?

holding down the power button on the top of his PS3 should re-adjust his settings and might make the audio connect from the PS3 to his TV...

it's the only thing I can think of given the info..