[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you rate the candidates...

Duchess Jack

Ranking with (positive... negative):

1. Romney (fiscally-conservative, border security a priority, healthcare through the private sector, experience as governor and CEO a plus... not "entertaining" enough for some people and too bad he flip-flopped to get elected governor)

2. Guiliani (similar to Romney on the economy and border, good executive experience, tough on crime... mess of a home life not a plus)

3. Huckabee (charismatic/geniune/nice guy, fiscally-conservative, strong enough on illegal immigration... "fair tax" idea won't fly and invoking Jesus/scripture every 5 min will cost him votes)

4. Thompson (economy and border positions are where I want them to be... doesn't have much to offer outside of that)

5. Obama (charismatic/geniune/nice guy... socialized healthcare and tax increases are a huge turn-off for me)

6. Hillary (the best I can say is that she won't fulfill the fiscally-liberal promises she's making... negatives are well-documented)

7. Paul (getting rid of income tax would be great... it would also be impossible right now, and getting rid of the Federal Reserve and the EPA would be stupid)

8. Edwards (nice hair... poverty pimp tax-the-rich-and-middle-class demagogue hypocrite who lives in a giant mansion)

9. Richardson (he's a Yankees AND Red Sox fan... sounds like a complete moron whenever he opens his mouth)

No McCain?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranking with (positive... negative):

1. Romney (fiscally-conservative, border security a priority, healthcare through the private sector, experience as governor and CEO a plus... not "entertaining" enough for some people and too bad he flip-flopped to get elected governor)

2. Guiliani (similar to Romney on the economy and border, good executive experience, tough on crime... mess of a home life not a plus)

3. Huckabee (charismatic/geniune/nice guy, fiscally-conservative, strong enough on illegal immigration... "fair tax" idea won't fly and invoking Jesus/scripture every 5 min will cost him votes)

4. McCain (war hero, great human being, tons of experience in D.C., wants to cut spending, can work with Dems... can also be a little spineless at times, old)

5. Thompson (economy and border positions are where I want them to be... doesn't have much to offer outside of that)

6. Obama (charismatic/geniune/nice guy... socialized healthcare and tax increases are a huge turn-off for me)

7. Hillary (the best I can say is that she won't fulfill the fiscally-liberal promises she's making... negatives are well-documented)

8. Paul (getting rid of income tax would be great... it would also be impossible right now, and getting rid of the Federal Reserve and the EPA would be stupid)

9. Edwards (nice hair... poverty pimp tax-the-rich-and-middle-class demagogue hypocrite who lives in a giant mansion)

10. Richardson (he's a Yankees AND Red Sox fan... sounds like a complete moron whenever he opens his mouth)

(Edited for McCain)

those are pretty decent summations. i don't know about mccain being spineless, what are you referring to? my only reservation with mccain is that it really seems like his first instinct is to look to the government to provide answers. he does not strike me as a deep down believer in limited government. but on the positive side, i see in mccain the person in this race with BY FAR the most foreign policy experience and savvy -- he also has a long record as one of the most truly bi-partisan high profile senators this country has ever had. those two facts make him, in my eyes, easily the most qualified person in the race to be the next potus.

those are pretty decent summations. i don't know about mccain being spineless, what are you referring to? my only reservation with mccain is that it really seems like his first instinct is to look to the government to provide answers. he does not strike me as a deep down believer in limited government. but on the positive side, i see in mccain the person in this race with BY FAR the most foreign policy experience and savvy -- he also has a long record as one of the most truly bi-partisan high profile senators this country has ever had. those two facts make him, in my eyes, easily the most qualified person in the race to be the next potus.

I think that "spineless" may have been a bit harsh. My biggest problem with him is the McCain-Kennedy bill. Being able to work with the other side is good, but he compromised values that I feel strongly about on that one.

That said, I agree that McCain is a fine man and well-qualified to serve as President. I wouldn't be upset at all if he got the nomination and won, despite some of my concerns.

I've voted in every POTUS election since 1980, and I've never voted for the winner ... (and I'm rather proud of that, actually).

1. Obama - He just cleans up so well.

2. McCain - I can't stop loving this guy, for many reasons. And I think the fact that so many Republicans seem to hate him is another big plus.

3. Edwards - Yeah, he's a phony, but so is everyone else after him on this list. I'm a sucker for populists.

4. Richardson - I don't think he'd do much, but after Dubya, I see that as a plus.

5. Rudi - I think it was Biden who said every sentence out of his mouth is a noun, a verb, and 9/11. I don't trust the guy, but at least he likes a tasty morsel, and it would be nice to have a president again who appreciates the beaver.

6. Hillary - See Rudi (above).

7. Huckabee - He'd be much higher if he wasn't insane.

8. Paul - See Huckabee (above).

9. Thompson - TV stars just aren't nearly as effective at policy as movie stars.

10. Romney - Had him higher until I saw him at the top of Swerski's list.

If you already weren't documented as a complete buffoon, I would ask you to explain how Ross Perot's candidacy is 1992 and 1996 effected the Democrats.

Hmm, I was unaware I was documented so.

I do suppose it was a bit of a reach to say "classically", but I was unaware the races were so tight in 1992 and 1996 that Perot affected the outcome, as Nader did in the 2000 election in FLA.

I might rate them later on but the thing that stands out about this entire crew is how mundane they all are. What a friggin' rabble. I suppose the next Abe Lincoln or FDR might be in there but God knows it's not obvious.

I might rate them later on but the thing that stands out about this entire crew is how mundane they all are. What a friggin' rabble. I suppose the next Abe Lincoln or FDR might be in there but God knows it's not obvious.

I agree. Nobody really excites me, on either side.

can somebody tell me what Rudi did on 9/11 that was any different than any other citizen? people seem to love him for his involvement and I cannot understand it.

I was on the island of Manhattan on September 11, 2001. I was there when the bridges and tunnels were locked down and families were wandering through the streets crying for days on end over loved ones lost. I was there when the F-16's were patrolling the skies in the days afterward. I helped transport clothing and canned foods to the Jacob Javits Center with my own two hands. I will tell you without a doubt of hesitation that Rudy did a TREMENDOUS job of leading the city from 9/11 until he left office. He showed strength and leadership like few individuals have ever shown in a time of crisis. He went from firehouse to church to temple and back again for days on end, tirelessly listening to stories of horror. He personally helped orchestrate and organize searches and food drives and charities for the families of victims. There was a strong drive to have the term limit laws suspended to allow him to stay on as mayor through 2002, and it was supported by both Dems and Republicans alike. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, he batted 1.000 in New York City's darkest hour.

BTW, I'm a lifelong Democrat, just so you know I'm not posting this out of any kind of party loyalty.

I've voted in every POTUS election since 1980, and I've never voted for the winner ... (and I'm rather proud of that, actually).

1. Obama - He just cleans up so well.

2. McCain - I can't stop loving this guy, for many reasons. And I think the fact that so many Republicans seem to hate him is another big plus.

3. Edwards - Yeah, he's a phony, but so is everyone else after him on this list. I'm a sucker for populists.

4. Richardson - I don't think he'd do much, but after Dubya, I see that as a plus.

5. Rudi - I think it was Biden who said every sentence out of his mouth is a noun, a verb, and 9/11. I don't trust the guy, but at least he likes a tasty morsel, and it would be nice to have a president again who appreciates the beaver.

6. Hillary - See Rudi (above).

7. Huckabee - He'd be much higher if he wasn't insane.

8. Paul - See Huckabee (above).

9. Thompson - TV stars just aren't nearly as effective at policy as movie stars.

10. Romney - Had him higher until I saw him at the top of Swerski's list.

:D

I was on the island of Manhattan on September 11, 2001. I was there when the bridges and tunnels were locked down and families were wandering through the streets crying for days on end over loved ones lost. I was there when the F-16's were patrolling the skies in the days afterward. I helped transport clothing and canned foods to the Jacob Javits Center with my own two hands. I will tell you without a doubt of hesitation that Rudy did a TREMENDOUS job of leading the city from 9/11 until he left office. He showed strength and leadership like few individuals have ever shown in a time of crisis. He went from firehouse to church to temple and back again for days on end, tirelessly listening to stories of horror. He personally helped orchestrate and organize searches and food drives and charities for the families of victims. There was a strong drive to have the term limit laws suspended to allow him to stay on as mayor through 2002, and it was supported by both Dems and Republicans alike. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, he batted 1.000 in New York City's darkest hour.

BTW, I'm a lifelong Democrat, just so you know I'm not posting this out of any kind of party loyalty.

Thanks for the answer. I realized he did a lot... but look at what you did? Look at what a lot of New Yorkers did. Did they have the security Rudi had? Did they have the assets he had? I just look at it as this being Rudi's job and that he did not too much more than many New Yorkers when you consider what he had at his disposal and what his job was. You were a lot closer to the situation though, so I guess you'd know better.

Thanks for the answer. I realized he did a lot... but look at what you did? Look at what a lot of New Yorkers did. Did they have the security Rudi had? Did they have the assets he had? I just look at it as this being Rudi's job and that he did not too much more than many New Yorkers when you consider what he had at his disposal and what his job was.

GMAFB. He brought aid and comfort to 10+ million people in a time of unprecedented crisis. I'd like to see Joe Average Mayor pull that off and still get overwhelming praise across the board. Seriously, if you're looking to piss on Rudy because you don't like the party he's running under, try a legitimate criticism like him cheating on his second wife or having a terrible relationship with his children. Slamming a guy for getting "too much praise" in the way that he handled 9/11 is just silly. :D

GMAFB. He brought aid and comfort to 10+ million people in a time of unprecedented crisis. I'd like to see Joe Average Mayor pull that off and still get overwhelming praise across the board. Seriously, if you're looking to piss on Rudy because you don't like the party he's running under, try a legitimate criticism like him cheating on his second wife or having a terrible relationship with his children. Slamming a guy for getting "too much praise" in the way that he handled 9/11 is just silly. :D

Firstly, I've no idea what GMAFB is. If it isn't worth taking the three seconds to type it - maybe it isn't worth saying.

Secondly... cool down there, scout. This has nothing to do with party lines. If you'd look at my first post, my first choice is an independant. My Fourth choice was a republican. I have the leading democrat listed after a republican.

How exactly am I slamming him for getting too much praise? I stated that I do not understand the praise and I was looking for other peoples views. I was less pushing Rudy down and more pulling everyone involved up to his level.

Dang you are a miserable bugger aren't you. You've got to be a joy to live or work with.

How exactly am I slamming him for getting too much praise? I stated that I do not understand the praise and I was looking for other peoples views. I was less pushing Rudy down and more pulling everyone involved up to his level.

You got somebody else's view (who actually lives near NYC) and countered that with, well, it was his job and he has all of these resources at his disposal and blah, blah, blah. Have you ever been to NYC? It's a f'n zoo on a NORMAL day. It's amazing that it didn't burn to the ground with riots and looting after 9/11.

I'm not saying that Guiliani is a saint or anything but, geez, give the guy some credit. Ray Nagin had a lot of resources at his disposal as well, plus a couple of days of lead time to deal with Katrina. How'd that work out?

Edited by Bill Swerski

You got somebody else's view (who actually lives near NYC) and countered that with, well, it was his job and he has all of these resources at his disposal and blah, blah, blah. Have you ever been to NYC? It's a f'n zoo on a NORMAL day. It's amazing that it didn't burn to the ground with riots and looting after 9/11.

I'm not saying that Guiliani is a saint or anything but, geez, give the guy some credit. Ray Nagin had a lot of resources at his disposal as well, plus a couple of days of lead time to deal with Katrina. How'd that work out?

You seem to have a couple of undeniable points here. I would ask, though, other than 9/11 (and all credit to Rudy on that), what else is he really running on? There's the cleanup of New York so there's valid "tough on crime" credentials but beyond that....... :D

I actually live just outside NYC and I ended that post with...

You were a lot closer to the situation though, so I guess you'd know better

As for Ray Nagin, I think its pretty clear that he did a bad job and might have been a little touched (chocolate city and all). Its usually a bad idea to measure somebody's greatness against anothers colossal failure.

You seem to have a couple of undeniable points here. I would ask, though, other than 9/11 (and all credit to Rudy on that), what else is he really running on? There's the cleanup of New York so there's valid "tough on crime" credentials but beyond that....... :D

dude's got a lot more of a record to run on (as longtime mayor of the biggest city, us attorney, etc) than half the republicans and pretty much all of the democrats.

Grow More Alfalfa For BillSwerski?

dude's got a lot more of a record to run on (as longtime mayor of the biggest city, us attorney, etc) than half the republicans and pretty much all of the democrats.

Grow More Alfalfa For BillSwerski?

He's gotten his reputation on the shoulders of Bernie Kerik. :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I actually live just outside NYC

Wow, for somebody who lives right there, I thought that his contributions would've been a little more obvious.

As for Ray Nagin, I think its pretty clear that he did a bad job and might have been a little touched (chocolate city and all). Its usually a bad idea to measure somebody's greatness against anothers colossal failure.

I don't consider Nagin a "colossal failure" given the rampant corruption present both in NOLA and LA politics. IIRC, Federal funding to bolster the levees was misappropriated years before Katrina. He was in a pretty bad situation to begin with. That said, his leadership abilities in the aftermath were seriously lacking and pale in comparison to the order that Guiliani was able to establish in NYC.

He brought down the heads of the Five Families and also a number high-profile Wall Street criminals for insider trading.