[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Year's Resolutions...

irish

I for one am way behind schedule with my yearly routine. Normally, I play football from the beginning of September through the Regular Season if not a bit further. However, a couple of the guys that I normally play with sustained injuries. One of the guys tore his ACL and did nerve damage to his foot on the same leg he has the knee tear. He can't even walk right and doctors aren't even sure if he'll ever completely recover. However, I digress, usually by playing football my weight drops from about 180 to anywhere from 165 - 170. Then after playing football, I pick up my workout routine, hitting the weights pretty good. I then add some nice solid weight by summer and end up back around 180 lbs.

Fast forward to the present moment. Since I haven't played ball practically all season, I'm at my heaviest weight ever- 185 lbs and mind you it's alot different than the usual 180 I am by summer. It's all bad weight from being inactive and I've never felt so out of shape in my life. Hell, I'm starting to feel the size 34 waist get a bit snug. :D So my New Year's Resolution of getting back into my workout regime and getting back into shape has taken on a whole new meaning/challenge for me this year. It's going to be a long, tough road. :D

How about you guys? Anyone have weight issues they're trying to address or a bad habit they're trying to break, like smoking, etc.?

Edited by irish

My New Year's resolution was to try and be a lot nicer and understanding to people. I tend to come across as pretty harsh to people, and want to be a better example to my children.

Glad you posted this irish: you are one I have always been pretty harsh towards. Hope I can be better towards you and others this year.

My New Year's resolution was to try and be a lot nicer and understanding to people. I tend to come across as pretty harsh to people, and want to be a better example to my children.

Glad you posted this irish: you are one I have always been pretty harsh towards. Hope I can be better towards you and others this year.

Good points on all items you brought up. But mostly what I liked that you said, which is something I have to work on, is being a better role model for my kids. They are so impressionable and at such an important age that everything I do serves as a model for them. I'm nowhere near perfect and need to work on being the best model I can be for their sake. My actions, words, sportsmanship, organizational skills/being responsible and accountable for things, etc. all need to improve.

How about you guys? Anyone have weight issues they're trying to address or a bad habit they're trying to break, like smoking, etc.?

I started a diet/exercise plan right around the New Year. Just a coincidence with the timing, so I guess you could call it a resolution. The whole plan is pretty simple:

1. 15 miles on the bicycle every day (acutally, today I did 30 and my back is killing me).

2. Smaller portions and healthier between meal snacks

3. After 10 PM the only thing I'm allowed to eat is celery and carrot sticks.

4. Drink more water.

So far I've lost about 5 pounds. . .

Good points on all items you brought up. But mostly what I liked that you said, which is something I have to work on, is being a better role model for my kids. They are so impressionable and at such an important age that everything I do serves as a model for them. I'm nowhere near perfect and need to work on being the best model I can be for their sake. My actions, words, sportsmanship, organizational skills/being responsible and accountable for things, etc. all need to improve.

:D Since when ?

:D Since when ?

:wacko: Did I say that? :D My bad. Thanks for setting me straight.

Edited by irish

I think what I need to work on is expressing my feelings towards other drivers while kids are in the car....I try to protect my girls from the overall "peaches by the buckettyness" of people on the road, but today, with my daughter in the back seat I slowed at a yield sign and checked to the right, but didn't check to the left, subsequently there was a lady coming from the left and I had to stop quickly to avoid her. I gave her the "I'm sorry" wave and she continued to honk at me and curse me out. So I honked back and she stopped, so I also stopped and the lady opened her door and yelled "i didn't have a stop sign", so I yelled back "I realize that , that's why I waved to say I'm sorry", she closed her door and drove on. I think that, in hind sight, I should have ignored her ignorant response and moved on, especially with my baby girl in the car. So from this day forward, I will try to improve my "road rage" issues, especially with little ones in the car.

I for one am way behind schedule with my yearly routine. Normally, I play football from the beginning of September through the Regular Season if not a bit further. However, a couple of the guys that I normally play with sustained injuries. One of the guys tore his ACL and did nerve damage to his foot on the same leg he has the knee tear. He can't even walk right and doctors aren't even sure if he'll ever completely recover. However, I digress, usually by playing football my weight drops from about 180 to anywhere from 165 - 170. Then after playing football, I pick up my workout routine, hitting the weights pretty good. I then add some nice solid weight by summer and end up back around 180 lbs.

Fast forward to the present moment. Since I haven't played ball practically all season, I'm at my heaviest weight ever- 185 lbs and mind you it's alot different than the usual 180 I am by summer. It's all bad weight from being inactive and I've never felt so out of shape in my life. Hell, I'm starting to feel the size 34 waist get a bit snug. :D So my New Year's Resolution of getting back into my workout regime and getting back into shape has taken on a whole new meaning/challenge for me this year. It's going to be a long, tough road. :D

Hit your local YMCA and pick up a racquetball racquet. I have been playing for about one year, and have progressed from a never picked up a racquet 33 year old novice to a lower level C division player. You can play year round...but especially in the winter months. It is actually much better on your knees and ankles than basketball I have found. However, I used to smoke and weighed 185 when I quit. I am now 225!!! However, I am only 5' 8"..and my waist is only 38!!!! I started last year at 245 and made only small changes to diet and added three to four nights of 2hours sessions of racquetball. This year I am going to work some on diet and keep up the racquetball regularity....and throw in some more competitive tournaments. Anyway...any other huddlers play competitive racquetball in the state of Illinois or Indiana?

Hit your local YMCA and pick up a racquetball racquet. I have been playing for about one year, and have progressed from a never picked up a racquet 33 year old novice to a lower level C division player. You can play year round...but especially in the winter months. It is actually much better on your knees and ankles than basketball I have found. However, I used to smoke and weighed 185 when I quit. I am now 225!!! However, I am only 5' 8"..and my waist is only 38!!!! I started last year at 245 and made only small changes to diet and added three to four nights of 2hours sessions of racquetball. This year I am going to work some on diet and keep up the racquetball regularity....and throw in some more competitive tournaments. Anyway...any other huddlers play competitive racquetball in the state of Illinois or Indiana?

I played walleyball competetively for about 12 years (which I loved) and played raquetball non-competatively on and off and found it to be a great work out. I am at my heaviest now without a lot of physical activity (thanks to quitting walleyball and starting bowling) and would love to start walleyball or raquetball when my crazy schedule slows down.