[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody Know of a Good Website Blocker

Duchess Jack

My daughter got into the emo scene a few months ago.

We didn't like it - but we always try to support her - which at the time meant that we needed to support her individuality.

We've read too much on it though and have learned too much of the friends she has been hanging with as a result of the scene.

For example... cutting gets yourself 'cool' points.

I blame a lot of what happened on our letting her use myspace.com.

We fought her on that as well - but relented ((let this be a warning to others)).

We figured that if we kept her from putting any personal info or pictures on the page that she'd be fine. We were only thinking of predators. We hadn't considered her getting indoctrinated into a scene from other people's websites.

So... we are looking to block myspace out entirely. It seems like you can put some IP addresses on the router in a text file - but I get the feeling that there are a crazy amount of back doors to get into myspace and that the ip addresses change all of the time

anyone have any ideas. I am thinking of buying a program - but I want something that is going to work.

My daughter got into the emo scene a few months ago.

We didn't like it - but we always try to support her - which at the time meant that we needed to support her individuality.

We've read too much on it though and have learned too much of the friends she has been hanging with as a result of the scene.

For example... cutting gets yourself 'cool' points.

I blame a lot of what happened on our letting her use myspace.com.

We fought her on that as well - but relented ((let this be a warning to others)).

We figured that if we kept her from putting any personal info or pictures on the page that she'd be fine. We were only thinking of predators. We hadn't considered her getting indoctrinated into a scene from other people's websites.

So... we are looking to block myspace out entirely. It seems like you can put some IP addresses on the router in a text file - but I get the feeling that there are a crazy amount of back doors to get into myspace and that the ip addresses change all of the time

anyone have any ideas. I am thinking of buying a program - but I want something that is going to work.

A neighbor used NetNanny..... and said it worked well. It also got some good reviews. Plus it has a free trial.

we use Cyber Sitter which can be set to block all sorts of things. It was the highest rated a few years ago when we got it but not sure if there are better alternatives out there now.

It is always a fine line to tread between oversight and control and letting kids grow up and find their own way. All you can do is what you think is best at the time and if that ends up less than desired, take another step. The important thing I think is to keep connected and keep trying. Trying to counteract peers can be extremely daunting as it always has been, good luck buddy - just do what you can.

Someone here at the Huddle told me about about this program, and I downloaded it for free and it works great.

K9 Web Protection

My company runs/uses Blue Coat which runs K9. If K9 is anything like BlueCoat, I'd recommend it.