[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Petty

i_am_the_swammi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I thought the show was very bland. I've always liked Petty, but as someone said earlier, he's just a straight-forward rocker..no flash or anything. Not that you could tell by the 500 20-something year-olds crowding the stage, obviously being paid to dance around and shriek their fool heads off. Is anybody else tired of this charade? To give the appearance of excitement and enthusiasm for appearances sake is something I just don't understand.

Prince did rock last year...he was, IMO, the best in many many years.

It's only a matter of time before we get the American Idol All Star performance at Super Bowl Halftime. You wait....it's coming. :wacko:

Either that or this was just plain awesome.

damn, i'd almost forgotten how f'n great that was. :wacko: i mean, come on....the marching band, the guitar licks, the 'symbol' stage, the (actual) purple rain. prince may not be my favorite living musician in the world, but you've gotta admit that little bassturd is one helluva showman, and i don't think there is ANYONE who would give a better 12 minute performance in that type of setting.

All you guys ripping on Petty just don't have a clue.

And you do.

Right.....got it.

In case you haven't been paying attention, not a single person, myself included, have ripped on Tom Petty. Like I said, I actually like Tom Petty music. The show itself though was dull, dull, dull. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have a clue. :wacko:

Edited by Cunning Runt

And you do.

Right.....got it.

In case you haven't been paying attention, not a single person, myself included, have ripped on Tom Petty. Like I said, I actually like Tom Petty music. The show itself though was dull, dull, dull. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have a clue. :wacko:

It was mentioned above by someone, it is just a matter of time before we have American Idol type crap for halftime. Petty wasn't spectacular, but at least he didn't make me want to toss my dinner. We should be glad that at least we have someone that doesn't suck - even if he doesn't fill our need for pyrotechnics, exposed breasts, stage strutting, and guitar phalynx symbols.

I guess maybe I am a little bent because I think Petty deserved this spotlight after his long and productive career, and then people complain that he showed up and was exactly who he is. A genuine person that writes genuine songs that I have spent my lifetime enjoying. I don't need to see him shake his ass and parade thong wearing dancing girls to appreciate what he does. Maybe I don't have a clue, but I like real songwriters performing the way they want to without record executives controlling their every move like a puppet. That isn't boring to me. That is America my friend. Or it used to be.

I guess maybe I am a little bent because I think Petty deserved this spotlight after his long and productive career, and then people complain that he showed up and was exactly who he is. A genuine person that writes genuine songs that I have spent my lifetime enjoying. I don't need to see him shake his ass and parade thong wearing dancing girls to appreciate what he does. Maybe I don't have a clue, but I like real songwriters performing the way they want to without record executives controlling their every move like a puppet. That isn't boring to me. That is America my friend. Or it used to be.

I don't think you've read a single post in this thread.

It was mentioned above by someone, it is just a matter of time before we have American Idol type crap for halftime. Petty wasn't spectacular, but at least he didn't make me want to toss my dinner. We should be glad that at least we have someone that doesn't suck - even if he doesn't fill our need for pyrotechnics, exposed breasts, stage strutting, and guitar phalynx symbols.

Fair enough. I get that.

Like I said, I like Tom Petty's music. I just think that a halftime show at a Super Bowl should be...well.... a show - and this wasn't.

damn, i'd almost forgotten how f'n great that was. :wacko: i mean, come on....the marching band, the guitar licks, the 'symbol' stage, the (actual) purple rain. prince may not be my favorite living musician in the world, but you've gotta admit that little bassturd is one helluva showman, and i don't think there is ANYONE who would give a better 12 minute performance in that type of setting.

Not a massive Prince fan myself, but he's more talented than about 99.9999% of the other musicians/entertainers out there.

Fair enough. I get that.

Like I said, I like Tom Petty's music. I just think that a halftime show at a Super Bowl should be...well.... a show - and this wasn't.

And I understand that line of thought. I guess at this point I am just happy if the powers that be in programming halftime shows don't put someone on there that makes me physically ill (ie. Timberlake/J. Jackson) and I am afraid that if everyone rags on Petty because he was "boring" we will end up with more junk instead. My expectations are lower so I guess I am not as disappointed as most.

And I understand that line of thought. I guess at this point I am just happy if the powers that be in programming halftime shows don't put someone on there that makes me physically ill (ie. Timberlake/J. Jackson) and I am afraid that if everyone rags on Petty because he was "boring" we will end up with more junk instead. My expectations are lower so I guess I am not as disappointed as most.

And I have seen Petty in concert, so I knew what I was getting. Though he wasn't stoned in the HT show like he was at the concert I saw. Maybe that was the problem.....hmmm.

:wacko: at some point, you became your own grandfather -- railing on about perceived slights and america going down the tubes...simply because about 5 dudes on the innernets said tom petty running through his 4 biggest hits was kinda boring. :D come on, of all the things to get on a soapbox about....