[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey computer guru's

billay

Computer's been running slow recently so I went to look at the processes under the task manager. There's a lot of stuff running on my computer, and I get the sense that maybe it's just too much. I noticed 3 different versions of something called "svchost.exe" running, all under different usernames. Out of curiosity, I typed it into google and got a program "Uniblue's Registery Booster" I downloaded the free trial and it told me I had 847 registry errors :wacko: Of course, the "free version could only fix 15 of the almost 900 errors (of course) I would need to purchase the full version to get the rest fixed. Is there any quality freeware out there that I can download to fix such problems? Are there any programs which guard against such? Where does all of this crap come from? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

TIA

Computer's been running slow recently so I went to look at the processes under the task manager. There's a lot of stuff running on my computer, and I get the sense that maybe it's just too much. I noticed 3 different versions of something called "svchost.exe" running, all under different usernames. Out of curiosity, I typed it into google and got a program "Uniblue's Registery Booster" I downloaded the free trial and it told me I had 847 registry errors :wacko: Of course, the "free version could only fix 15 of the almost 900 errors (of course) I would need to purchase the full version to get the rest fixed. Is there any quality freeware out there that I can download to fix such problems? Are there any programs which guard against such? Where does all of this crap come from? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

TIA

You have to be careful with web-based register diagnosers. There is a new type of scam where the software diagnoses you as having a huge number of problems, when you don't. I think they are calling it "scare-ware" or some such. THen you pay them to use thier programs, and they miraculously clean up the problems that never existed in the first place. (sometimes the diagnosers themselves add malware.)

I would stick with well-known or highly rated applications (from CNET or PC magazine, for example) for removing malware.

You have to be careful with web-based register diagnosers. There is a new type of scam where the software diagnoses you as having a huge number of problems, when you don't. I think they are calling it "scare-ware" or some such. THen you pay them to use thier programs, and they miraculously clean up the problems that never existed in the first place. (sometimes the diagnosers themselves add malware.)

I would stick with well-known or highly rated applications (from CNET or PC magazine, for example) for removing malware.

Yeah, that first program i found seemed a little shady, as it would be the first thing to come up after startup to remind me that I still hadn't fixed those other 850 errors. F that. I used the program that Az recommended and things seem to be moving along more quickly now, but I am still curious to hear from anybody as to exactly what processes should be running under the task manager. I realize that alot of this has to do with what you have installed and are running on your computer, but I still have 3 copies of this "svchost.exe" running.

Yeah, that first program i found seemed a little shady, as it would be the first thing to come up after startup to remind me that I still hadn't fixed those other 850 errors. F that. I used the program that Az recommended and things seem to be moving along more quickly now, but I am still curious to hear from anybody as to exactly what processes should be running under the task manager. I realize that alot of this has to do with what you have installed and are running on your computer, but I still have 3 copies of this "svchost.exe" running.

svchost is used to by legitimate programs as well as malware. It is a way into windows for outside programs:

SVCHOST Wikipedia

PC MAG top rated anti-malware.

SVCHOST is a royal pain in the ass but indispensable. I have seven running right now. Each hosts one or more Windows services (hence the name) and there are numerous examples of this thing pegging processors at 100% for long periods, though XP is much better than Windows 2000 was.

There's an excellent replacement for Task Manager called Process Explorer that you can download directly from Microsoft. It's part of the SysInternals suite used by most IT techs. It gives a better picture into exactly what's going on and shows you which services are being hosted by which svchost.

I'm always suspicious when the solution to having a cripping number of processes running is to run another application in the background.

yeah, I don't blame you. I didn't think the article was great, but something to try if Billay wasn't having any luck with the other suggestions.