[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama and change

polksalet

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To tell you the truth, I'm a lot more afraid of Hillary or Ron Paul in the Oval Office than Obama.

I don't think you need to worry much about Ron Paul in the Oval Office.

Hillary, on the other hand.... :wacko:

since when am i trying to convince anybody he's a bad guy? someone made the claim that the sort of "change" an obama presidency promises to bring entails a spirit of bipartisanship, working across the aise to get things done, etc. i am simply saying that there is very little evidence to support this and that, if anything, based on his liberal, straight party-line voting record and this little incident with mccain over ethics reform, the evidence would have to lead to the opposite conclusion.

i guess i would ask the opposite question you ask me. shouldn't his politics be enough for his supporters to agree with him, without resorting to these ridiculous, unsubstantiated bromides about him ushering in a new era of bipartisan love and cooperation?

But you have been given ample examples of how he attempts to reach across the divide to find common ground. You have been provided examples in Illinois...and then you claim to know Illinois demographics by lamenting wrongly about the makeup of the state. You have been provided with one example in the Senate....you choose to spin it to fit your perceptions. No one can say with certainty what the man's intentions are. No one can say if he is a great communicator across the aisle...except those that have worked with him in Illinois and the Senate....NO?

huh? i am an IT manager.

just a thought here, but maybe you wanna stop channeling sarge, unless you are actually trying to get threads locked and entire topics banned again.

You're so sweet az, you can skip putting sugar in my coffee and just stick your finger in it.

Since I live about an hour south of Chicago......ABSOLUTELY YES. There is one glaring spot in this state that is solid blue and the is Chicago....possbily Rockford and East St. Louis. The rest of the entire state of Illinois are Reagan or Goldwater conservatives splashed with some evangelical conservatives.

May have been true in the past, but the state as a whole is certainly left of center.

But lately, the state has grown steadily more Democratic and is no longer considered in contention in presidential politics. Voters went for Al Gore over George Bush by a surprising 12-point margin in 2000. Now, it's just one more US state that has left the middle ground, the Midwest's lone blue state in a Thomas Hart Benton landscape of purple and red.

A variety of factors is propelling the shift, everything from the Paul Simon effect - a reference to the popular late Democratic senator, elected by typically conservative downstate voters - to the lack of a Republican presence in Chicago, where just 1 out of 50 aldermen is from the GOP.

But perhaps most important, there's the steady trend leftward in the suburbs. Indeed, for much of the past century, Illinois was the prototypical swing state because of the ring of humanity around Chicago. While the Democrats dominated in urban Chicago and the Republicans downstate, the suburbs ended up playing referee. They still do, but with rising numbers of Democrats in what were once Republican strongholds.

"The mix has stayed pretty much the same in the city and downstate, but in the suburbs it's gone from being overwhelmingly Republican to being more competitive," says Dick Simpson, a political scientist at University of Illinois-Chicago and a former Chicago alderman.

Link

May have been true in the past, but the state as a whole is certainly left of center.

Link

It may be more competitive in the collar counties...but you don't have very much in the way of democratic Congressional representation from this area. Other than Melissa(is this her first name?) Bean who beat out Crane 4 years ago....I can't think of another DEM from the collar counties. There are probably more dems living in those counties than in the past...but not enough to make a difference in the congressional districts....but will probably sway the vote on a statewide election...good point.

libertarian my ass :wacko:

ok i'll tell you what, i'll paste his entire issue outline from his website, and you tell me which positions involve scaling back government power...

Civil Rights

Strengthen Civil Rights Enforcement

Combat Employment Discrimination

Expand Hate Crimes Statutes

End Deceptive Voting Practices

End Racial Profiling

Reduce Crime Recidivism by Providing Ex-Offender Support

Eliminate Sentencing Disparities

Expand Use of Drug Courts

Disabilities

“We must build a world free of unnecessary barriers, stereotypes, and discrimination .... policies must be developed, attitudes must be shaped, and buildings and organizations must be designed to ensure that everyone has a chance to get the education they need and live independently as full citizens in their communities.”

Economy

Provide Middle Class Americans Tax Relief

Fair Trade

Technology, Innovation and Creating Jobs

Labor

Protect Homeownership and Crack Down on Mortgage Fraud

Address Predatory Credit Card Practices

Reform Bankruptcy Laws

Work/Family Balance

ah f it you can do the rest if you want to. just looking for a handful ot positions where he advocates LESS government in order to lend credence to this libertarian claim. reading through the site, i don't even see anything about scaling back the patriot act or anything of that sort. simply a government answer to every perceived problem. and you want to argue he's a libertarian because his plan to massively increase government involvement in health care still permits people to retain a sliver of control over their own decisions? it takes a pretty massive amount of chutzpah to try and sell that MASSIVE expansion of government bureaucracy a "libertarian" proposal.

Bingo. To label Obama any type of libertarian is a joke.