[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baseball auction help

raoul duke

Over 8 years, my baseball local has slowly drifted to baseball global, with people moving to five states and London. For last year, our largest ex-pat population ever, we did the auction over Skype, but it wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. We had sporadic connection problems and had to resort to lots of IMing. basically, my team sucked because I was working so hard to keep things flowing that I couldn't focus on my draft.

We have a bunch of new births and new jobs to go with our international player, so everyone traveling is out.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their local? I really don't want to go back to a snake draft because the auction is so much fun. Anyone know of any alternatives where we can keep the auction format but run things a little more smoothly?

Over 8 years, my baseball local has slowly drifted to baseball global, with people moving to five states and London. For last year, our largest ex-pat population ever, we did the auction over Skype, but it wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. We had sporadic connection problems and had to resort to lots of IMing. basically, my team sucked because I was working so hard to keep things flowing that I couldn't focus on my draft.

We have a bunch of new births and new jobs to go with our international player, so everyone traveling is out.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their local? I really don't want to go back to a snake draft because the auction is so much fun. Anyone know of any alternatives where we can keep the auction format but run things a little more smoothly?

I can't help you out but I can tell you that when we had some folks move that had been in my local for years we did one year of "over the phone" drafting and then I kicked them out and replaced them with locals.

Too much hassle and being in the same room with the guys at the draft is half the fun of having a league in the first place.

I just asked this question for a draft and got a great suggestion that worked..Everyone needs a yahoo ID (free and takes 3 minutes) Then everyone has to get yahoo instant messenger (free and takes 3 minutes) . Then you use yahoo conference option under the chat section and it brings you all to the same room and allows you all to post

go to www.yahoo.com to get started

Edited by whomper

I have seen a few sites that will let you use their site with auction format for a fee have never tried one but it seems it would fit your need. can't remember which sites but they should be easy to find google auction Fantasy baseball or something of that nature.

Thanks for the responses. I do need to look more into the online auction sites, because you can enforce a time limit for each transaction and you don't need a moderator. However, it's just so boring to type at the computer for 8 hours by yourself, when the real fun of the auction is the live interaction. I thought about trying a silent auction over email with everyone nominating a player in the morning and having the auction close at 12am pacific, but one post online brought up the fact that many people will wind up exceeding their budget at the end, and it would be impossible to resolve the financial issues of who has rights to which player.

We're having our winter meeting next week, and I think we'll have to vote on IM, paying an auction site, or going back to a snake draft. If anyone else has some creative ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I was looking there the other day, can you answer a few questions? I'll assume you can configure the app to exclude keepers and subtract their values from owners' budgets, right? Also, it appears as if you have to designate a number of hitters and pitchers per team. I can't just tell it to set the max roster to 23 players?

thanks in advance.

We use Fantasy Auctioneer for our dynasty league. Has a chat function and works really smooth. It costs money, but well worth it IMO.