[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clemens

chiefjay

On top of that, there were/are so many players using illegal performance-enhancing drugs over such a long time that Selig would be unfairly singling out Clemens and Bonds if he were to sanction them. This isn't an isolated issue with a small handfull of players being suspected of throwing games or something.

gotta start somehwere and those are two 800 lb gorilla's who happen to set or break some lofty records ...

gotta start somehwere and those are two 800 lb gorilla's who happen to set or break some lofty records ...

Given that MLB has known about this problem for at least a decade and that its clubhouses were essentially safe havens for illegal drug use, I'm not sure that they have the moral high ground to point fingers.

"misremembered"...... :wacko: thats a new one!

poor Andy Pettite has a misremembering disease.

Clemens throws his best friend under the bus, his wife and his momma! wow!

as i heard someone say today, 'how many packs of smokes is Clemens going to have to come up with

to get #21 on the Levinworth softball team?'

liar, liar pants on fire...or at least bloody!

Debbie 'cougar' Clemens looked hawt! :D

Amazing that, on top of everything, he tried to use his wife as a human shield. Still, it's interesting to watch a man dig his own grave one scoop of dirt at a time. . .

what a train wreck for the rocket. . . .friggin Red Sock. . .

Bah, he doesn't belong to the Sox. He's a Yankee, through and through. :wacko:

Bah, he doesn't belong to the Sox. He's a Yankee, through and through. :wacko:

How about we dump him off on Toronto and wash our hands of him?

And on the subject of scumbags, I'm getting a little sick of Andy Pettitte. I don't want to hear any more about how he's a sweet, honest, religious guy. He lied for years by withholding information, and now he seems to admit a little more of his past HGH use the more they squeeze him like a tube of toothpaste.

That's true, but Mac's still a multi-millionaire who avoided a prison sentence by refusing to lie under oath. Given that he was a career .263 hitter, fell short of 600 HRs, and wasn't much of a defensive 1B, he wasn't a lock for the HOF anyway.

Baseball is all about the numbers. Any of 3 numbers would get a man in the Hall of Fame: 3000 hits, 300 wins, or 500 homers. Mac is the only one eligible to be voted in with any of the 3. The steroids and his performance in front of congress cost him any chance at ever geting in. If he had the homers without the steroids he would get in. The steroids era has taken away the automatic entry with the 500 homers. So there will be no Palmiero and no Sosa in 5 years and probably not ever. Bonds is probably another story as he had execellent stats prior to his steroid use. Just don't let the guy in on the first ballot.

And on the subject of scumbags, I'm getting a little sick of Andy Pettitte. I don't want to hear any more about how he's a sweet, honest, religious guy. He lied for years by withholding information, and now he seems to admit a little more of his past HGH use the more they squeeze him like a tube of toothpaste.

+1 Shake.

Pettite is getting a free pass here despite the fact that he was as dishonest as every other drug user until push came to shove.

One other question - McNamee is claiming that Clemens started using in 1998, right:? Didnt Clemens win the pitching triple crown with Toronto in 1997? (Edit to add, yes, he went 21-7 with a 2.05 ERA.)

So, he has just had the best season of his career, and he decides "I better step it up a notch and start doing drugs now?" Doesn't make sense to me.

One other question - McNamee is claiming that Clemens started using in 1998, right:? Didnt Clemens win the pitching triple crown with Toronto in 1997? (Edit to add, yes, he went 21-7 with a 2.05 ERA.)

So, he has just had the best season of his career, and he decides "I better step it up a notch and start doing drugs now?" Doesn't make sense to me.

It would make sense if he thought he was getting old, or if he was trying to recover from an injury.

He was 36 years old and coming off a Cy Young Award. If he had a few starts in preseason, or at the beginning of the season where he couldn't seem to recover between games, yet he wanted to win the Cy Young again and didn't want to admit that he was getting old... maybe he decided to try a new supplement that would help him bounce back.

Although, looking at his stats... it does seem far more likely that he started in 1997. He hadn't had a decent full season for 5 years before that year. (of course, you could blame that on the Red Sox)

Edited by AtomicCEO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Chappy

Clemens vs. Congressman Wax

Clemens: You want answers?

Congressman: I think I'm entitled to them.

Clemens: You want answers?

Congressman: I want the truth!

Clemens: You can't handle the truth! Sir, we live in a world that has

baseballs. And those balls have to be pitched to men with bats and larger

than human heads and necks. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Congressman

Waxman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You

weep for wimpy little second baseman and you curse high heaters. You have

that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Steroids

and HGH, while illegal, sells tickets. And my existence, while grotesque

and incomprehensible to you, sells tickets...You don't want the

truth...because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you

want me on that mound. You need me on that mound. We use words like

fastball, slider, Mr. Splitty...we use these words as the backbone to a

life spent playing a sport. You use 'em as a punchline! I have neither the

time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and falls

asleep to the Sportscenter clips I provide, then questions the manner in

which I provide them! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your

way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and dig in. Either way, I don't

give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Congressman: Were you on 'roids when you hurled that spike at Piazza?

Clemens: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Congressman: Were you on 'roids when you hurled that spike at Piazza?

Clemens: You're damn right I was!!