[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodell, what do you think?

LooGie

Expanding the league outside of the US has always been Goodell's biggest plan. He's came out and stated that much. This is an American game that the world doesn't understand, nor do they want to. This isn't an international game like Baseball or basketball, nor will it ever be.

My cousins boyfriend is a Chiefs fan in England. He watches the game every weekend. They stream the games for free on the Net internationally.

When I lived in England in the 80's, it was impossible to watch anything except the Superbowl and that was stupid early in the morning. That I have a future in-law in England who watches every week blows my mind.

By sending a game to London one home team, it's fanbase and the city lose out on a game and money employee's of the stadium would have made... If you want to build up a game internationally, fine, just don't do it at American fans who make the game work's expense. It's not right.

Ok.

Goodell's penalizing the Patriots of a first round draft pick was a bad idea as well, but that's another topic all together

I think it was a fine idea. But, apples and oranges.

Then destroying the spygate tapes, what a genius move there as well.

Agreed, lame.

Tags was great because he was out of the spotlight. Goodell is attention hungry and jumps in front of the camera every chance he gets, which I don't think the commish should do. I for one can't stand the guy.

Meh. I think Goodell is more proactive than Tags.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you have no problem with fans who have been supporting their team for years and years being robbed out of a game so soccer fans can watch a game in a mud bowl?

ETA: I'm NOT a fan of the international games. It's just good business to try and go international.

My cousins boyfriend is a Chiefs fan in England. He watches the game every weekend. They stream the games for free on the Net internationally.

So catering to a niche crowd across the pond is worth robbing fans here out of a game? I don't see ManU playing a match over here...

And the reason that I don't like the Pats losing a draft pick has nothing to do with it being the Pat's, but because it takes one pick out of the first round. Picks are slotted which this throws a wrench into the system. It also punishes the kid who would have been a first rounder. I just don't think it's a good idea for the league, but only time will tell on that one.

So catering to a niche crowd across the pond is worth robbing fans here out of a game? I don't see ManU playing a match over here...

Yeah, it would be better if it was an exhibition. Like ManU when they play over here.

I wouldn't call Europe a "niche crowd" but whatever.

I'm done.

Yeah, it would be better if it was an exhibition. Like ManU when they play over here.

I wouldn't call Europe a "niche crowd" but whatever.

I'm done.

But it's not an exhibition game, it's an actual regular season game, and it's not right... Not to mention the "home" team has one less home game which isn't right either.

And I'm calling England's American football crowd a niche group, don't be so dense.

But it's not an exhibition game, it's an actual regular season game, and it's not right.

Dude, I know. That's why I said, "Yeah, it would be better if it was an exhibition".

And I'm calling England's American football crowd a niche group, don't be so dense.

I'm dense now eh? Thanks.

Odd that you should say that. The EPL has just floated the idea of having a 39th game added to their 38 game season. The idea is that at some point in the season, all 20 of the teams would disperse all over the world and play a game against another EPL team. The game would count like all the others.

The general reception has been hoots of derision from the English public, the clubs (especially Manchester United) and UEFA. Looks like the NFL isn't the only one trying to go global......

The bottom line in this discussion Bill is that delivery of the NFL to you and me is all a matter of what the market will bear. MLB and the NBA would charge as much if they could. It's a business, not government. What's he supposed to do? Goodell isn't going to regulate costs when there isn't any tangible reason yet to do so.

How's this for a tangible reason: Many people have dropped the Ticket since it's gone up about $70 over the past four or so years. The NFL and DirecTV have lost my business to MLB and Comcast.

While I have no problem with a business wanting to maximize its profit, there are consequences for over-playing one's hand. Look at what happened to professional boxing after they moved all of their fights to pay-per-view. While I don't think that the NFL would be quite this stupid, they're already showing signs of arrogance and are heading in the wrong general direction, IMO.

How do you know that I didn't make a secret copy?

RG

I had a feeling that you'd make an appearance. :wacko:

Edited by Bill Swerski

I think that asking players to be on a higher tier of conduct in exchange for the cash they make isn't asking very much.

Job Description...

Athlete // Rolemodel.

Again - its a small thing to ask for in exchange for the cash they make - considering that they will only need to behave themselves for 5-12 years.

How's this for a tangible reason: Many people have dropped the Ticket since it's gone up about $70 over the past four or so years. The NFL and DirecTV have lost my business to MLB and Comcast.

While I have no problem with a business wanting to maximize its profit, there are consequences for over-playing one's hand. Look at what happened to professional boxing after they moved all of their fights to pay-per-view. While I don't think that the NFL would be quite this stupid, they're already showing signs of arrogance and are heading in the wrong general direction, IMO.

These are good points. The entertainment dollar is shrinking and there are a lot of options out there, including many non-sport options. The NFL should be very careful at this point. History is littered with dead over-arrogant monopolies.

These are good points. The entertainment dollar is shrinking and there are a lot of options out there, including many non-sport options. The NFL should be very careful at this point. History is littered with dead over-arrogant monopolies.

the market should take care of this. players salaries keep on going up. if people stop watching the NFL will have to change things.

I think that asking players to be on a higher tier of conduct in exchange for the cash they make isn't asking very much.

Job Description...

Athlete // Rolemodel.

Again - its a small thing to ask for in exchange for the cash they make - considering that they will only need to behave themselves for 5-12 years.

I agree. And as I said earlier in this thread, I appreciate Goodell coming down hard on asstards like Pacman Jones and Chris Henry.

While I don't think that the NFL would be quite this stupid, they're already showing signs of arrogance and are heading in the wrong general direction, IMO.

True, I agree the arrogance is there. But, I also agree with you that they're not stupid. In fact, compared to every other sports franchise in this country, they've shown themselves to be much smarter.

I'm looking at it half-full, you're looking half-empty I guess.

Also, the CBA is really the elephant in the room, not content delivery or international games. We'll know a lot about Goodell and the state of the league in general, when that all gets worked out. If they're in good shape, they'll opt out and have a new deal in place before a lockout would happen. If they don't opt out, I think it probably makes things worse down the road. If they do opt out and there's a lockout... ruh roh.

True, I agree the arrogance is there. But, I also agree with you that they're not stupid. In fact, compared to every other sports franchise in this country, they've shown themselves to be much smarter.

I don't know if they're any "smarter" than the other sports franchises. They've had better labor relations recently. But MLB was king for a loooong time and what David Stern did with the NBA in the early '80s was pretty remarkable.

The NFL are in a great position right now, but they've only been "king" since the '80s (and even then, they had stiff competition from the NBA). But if they over-play their hand, they could easily lose that title. A loss of elite skill-position players, bad player PR, and/or a lockout could easily knock them back down into NBA territory.

Also, the CBA is really the elephant in the room, not content delivery or international games. We'll know a lot about Goodell and the state of the league in general, when that all gets worked out. If they're in good shape, they'll opt out and have a new deal in place before a lockout would happen. If they don't opt out, I think it probably makes things worse down the road. If they do opt out and there's a lockout... ruh roh.

One of the secrets of the NFL's success was their crushing of the NFLPA back in the late 80's and their subsequent (and somewhat surprising) harmonious relationship with them since the '90s. The fact that the NFL didn't have a lockout in the '90s and MLB, NHL, and the NBA did likely contributed to their rise in popularity (fantasy football was the largest factor, IMO).

Edited by Bill Swerski

Job Description...

Athlete // Rolemodel.

This is going to go off in a different direction all together, but I think parents should be the rolemodel.

This is going to go off in a different direction all together, but I think parents should be the rolemodel.

Deep.

But it does not have to be one or the other.

Let us not forget teachers, clergy, policeman and others as it takes a village.

While its likely not where you want your kids getting their morals - kids are going to idolize sports figures regardless. So... we make the best of the problem.

Deep.

But it does not have to be one or the other.

Let us not forget teachers, clergy, policeman and others as it takes a village.

While its likely not where you want your kids getting their morals - kids are going to idolize sports figures regardless. So... we make the best of the problem.

True, but to think that athlete's, musicians, and actors need to be held to a higher level just doesn't sit right to me.

even if its in their job description? its not - but what if it was. would you keep your nose clean AND do your job for 5 mill a year? would it be too much to ask?

"screw that - I am going to work at McDonalds and beat on my wife"

why not mandate it. they don't need to take the job if they don't want to.

I don't know if they're any "smarter" than the other sports franchises. They've had better labor relations recently. But MLB was king for a loooong time and what David Stern did with the NBA in the early '80s was pretty remarkable.

The NFL are in a great position right now, but they've only been "king" since the '80s (and even then, they had stiff competition from the NBA). But if they over-play their hand, they could easily lose that title. A loss of elite skill-position players, bad player PR, and/or a lockout could easily knock them back down into NBA territory.

One of the secrets of the NFL's success was their crushing of the NFLPA back in the late 80's and their subsequent (and somewhat surprising) harmonious relationship with them since the '90s. The fact that the NFL didn't have a lockout in the '90s and MLB, NHL, and the NBA did likely contributed to their rise in popularity (fantasy football was the largest factor, IMO).

No way man, I'm getting the last word on this one:

"sausage"