[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not impressed with iTunes...

I Like Soup

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try loading an Itunes downloaded song onto anything but an IPod MP3 player

well who the hell would ever want to do that? have you ever held an ipod? they are so sleek and shiny ...

but yes, only a few other mp3 players work with itunes. personally, i view itunes and the ipod as a player as a complete set. they are geared to work together and the device is a key part of the overall experience. just using either of the two parts individually breaks down the experience apple has orchestrated.

?

i'm not aware of any proprietary format issue ...

:wacko: are you serious?

but yes, only a few other mp3 players work with itunes. personally, i view itunes and the ipod as a player as a complete set. they are geared to work together and the device is a key part of the overall experience. just using either of the two parts individually breaks down the experience apple has orchestrated.

:D i guess not, sounds like you're perfectly aware of the proprietary format issue, but accept it fawningly.

well who the hell would ever want to do that? have you ever held an ipod? they are so sleek and shiny ...

Seems like a stupid business plan.

Even if they can't get the sales for the player, they could be generating revenue from music downloads through the ITunes store if not for the proprietary format. It was a decent plan to boost IPod sales when the ItUnes store was pretty much the only place to download songs, but with the development of alternatives, seems like nothing but lots of potential lost revenue to the millions of people that don't have a IPods but are willing to spend money to download their music.

:D i guess not, sounds like you're perfectly aware of the proprietary format issue, but accept it fawningly.

+1

I love itunes and both my ipods. I don't have any trouble importing songs, buying songs, creating playlists, burning playlists or any other maladies listed here. And I'm an idiot.

and they have the unprotected format for 30 cents more a tune.

Edited by loaf

I've been underwhelmed by Itunes, as well. I found Windows Media Player to be much more user friendly, even it if wasn't as "cool." Not being able transfer playlists from Windows Media Player to Itunes was another dick move, as well. (I had like 500 CDs and countless playlists on Windows Media Player that I should have been able to just export to Itunes). Plus, I buy CDs: not downloads. Call me old fashioned, but I like to be open the music I just bought and play it in the car, or where ever, without having to do anything else first. I also like the having things like cover art and lyrics without have to print or download them. Basically, Itunes forces me work harder in order to listen to the music I own, and that's irritating.

Love my Ipod. But I dislike Itunes and use it only because I have to in order to get music I've already paid for onto my Ipod.

Edited by yo mama

Seems like a stupid business plan.

Even if they can't get the sales for the player, they could be generating revenue from music downloads through the ITunes store if not for the proprietary format. It was a decent plan to boost IPod sales when the ItUnes store was pretty much the only place to download songs, but with the development of alternatives, seems like nothing but lots of potential lost revenue to the millions of people that don't have a IPods but are willing to spend money to download their music.

You're not very familiar with Apple are you? :wacko:

That's textbook Apple right there.

I've been underwhelmed by Itunes, as well. I found Windows Media Player to be much more user friendly, even it if wasn't as "cool." Not being able transfer playlists from Windows Media Player to Itunes was another dick move, as well. (I had like 500 CDs and countless playlists on Windows Media Player that I should have been able to just export to Itunes). Plus, I buy CDs: not downloads. Call me old fashioned, but I like to be open the music I just bought and play it in the car, or where ever, without having to do anything else first. I also like the having things like cover art and lyrics without have to print or download them. Basically, Itunes forces me work harder in order to listen to the music I own, and that's irritating.

Love my Ipod. But I dislike Itunes and use it only because in order to get music I've already paid for onto the Ipod.

Not sure what happened on your end, but itunes went out and found all the other music on my computer (like 2,000 songs) and added it to my library without me having to do pretty much anything except clicking "yes" to add that music to my itunes library. Couldn't have been more pleased.

Plus, I buy CDs: not downloads. Call me old fashioned, but I like to be open the music I just bought and play it in the car, or where ever, without having to do anything else first. I also like the having things like cover art and lyrics without have to print or download them.

+ 20,000,000

there are no proprietary formats. you can use itunes with the standard MP3 format to buy as many songs as you like and then drag and drop those MP3 files to your player of choice. what is proprietary is the ability for your device to do all the cool things that itunes does because the device needs to be a certain device, an ipod. to open that up would mean, well, there would be no reason to buy an ipod.

it's a brilliant business model that works and generates a superior user experience. like the mac and the OS X operating system, they work together to create a superior personal computing experience. divide the two and you get, well, windows.

that is apple and you have your choice to experience what they want to sell or choose a different experience from a different company.

+ 20,000,000

I buy plenty of CDs. I travel with them, I play with them, I fondle them. Doesn't mean I like every tune and doesn't mean I don't wanna create playlists that have some of those tunes in them...

there are no proprietary formats. you can use itunes with the standard MP3 format to buy as many songs as you like and then drag and drop those MP3 files to your player of choice. what is proprietary is the ability for your device to do all the cool things that itunes does because the device needs to be a certain device, an ipod. to open that up would mean, well, there would be no reason to buy an ipod.

:wacko: it is just an mp3 file. by making theirs so that they cannot play outside of the "apple universe", they add no functionality to the mp3 file whatsoever. it only negates functionality.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to be open the music I just bought and play it in the car, or where ever, without having to do anything else first. I also like the having things like cover art and lyrics without have to print or download them.

aux jacks in cars to just plug in your media player are becoming more and more common. there is nothing easier than plugging in my ipod in my car and immediately having my entire music library available to me, along with podcasts and audiobooks. plus i don't have to deal with all the storage space requirements for all those CDs cluttering up my house and car. oh, and it's also nice to not be held captive to purchasing an entire CD in the event that i just want to buy a song or two.

understand the point on cover art and lyrics, but i really don't miss them much. they can be downloaded and printed, or for a much richer experience, just go to the band's website where there is far more stuff than what you can put in a CD ....

:wacko: it is just an mp3 file. by making theirs so that they cannot play outside of the "apple universe", they add no functionality to the mp3 file whatsoever. it only negates functionality.

again, i don't know what you are talking about. mp3s downloaded from itunes play just fine on any mp3 player.

since they have geared itunes and the ipod to work together, you are not going to get this same experience or level of functionality if you insert a different player in the mix. it is a choice apple made and it works wonderfully well for them. if you don't like that approach, that is your choice, but it is working quite well for many many people.

again, i don't know what you are talking about. mp3s downloaded from itunes play just fine on any mp3 player.

When I was in the market for an mp3 player for my son, I wanted one that could play my itunes music.

I was told by no fewer than 3 different salespeople at 3 different stores (not commission based at all) that itunes-downloaded music would only play on an ipod.

So I bought another ipod.

When I was in the market for an mp3 player for my son, I wanted one that could play my itunes music.

I was told by no fewer than 3 different salespeople at 3 different stores (not commission based at all) that itunes-downloaded music would only play on an ipod.

So I bought another ipod.

if you by the DRM-free versions, they can be converted and played on any player. this is now becoming more and more the norm.

for those DRM tracks, you can burn them to CD and reimport (which is a pain, but works).

or you can just buy an ipod :wacko:

digital rights management is not an apple creation and is not unique to apple.

aux jacks in cars to just plug in your media player are becoming more and more common.

I have one, and it works okay. (Very staticy in the City, where I prefer to use CDs). But what if my wife wants to listen to the music I bought? I'd have to give her my Ipod, and that ain't happenin'. Or I'd have to burn her a disc, which is a pain because we frankly don't have a lot of time to dick around with this stuff on a day to day basis.

if you by the DRM-free versions, they can be converted and played on any player. this is now becoming more and more the norm.

for those DRM tracks, you can burn them to CD and reimport (which is a pain, but works).

or you can just buy an ipod :wacko:

digital rights management is not an apple creation and is not unique to apple.

Hey bro - I love the ipod way of doing things. You're not getting an argument from me. I'm just pointing out that their music is designed to play on ipods and you have to jump through hoops otherwise.

I have one, and it works okay. (Very staticy in the City, where I prefer to use CDs). But what if my wife wants to listen to the music I bought? I'd have to give her my Ipod, and that ain't happenin'. Or I'd have to burn her a disc, which is a pain because we frankly don't have a lot of time to dick around with this stuff on a day to day basis.

time for your family to go multi-pod.

if you are using a direct input jack, you should get the same sound quality everywhere, and it is excellent. if you are using an FM converter type adaptor, then, yes, in highly trafficed areas, you will get static. i'm guessing that is what you are using and i agree, for the most part these suck.

Hey bro - I love the ipod way of doing things. You're not getting an argument from me. I'm just pointing out that their music is designed to play on ipods and you have to jump through hoops otherwise.

digital rights are a pain in the ass, but the music industry feels it has to do something to try and curb the proliferation of music copying and swapping. the DRM-free files address this, but they do have the extra cost.

most that use the ipod and itunes together love it as well, which is why it has taken over the music world. what is silly is when people come in and criticize apple for creating such a wonderful experience because they want it to be more open. well, if they had to water down the experience to be more open, then you wouldn't have the powerful combination that so many love. you don't like it? then shut up and don't use it. have fun with your zune ... :wacko:

time for your family to go multi-pod.

So I should have to buy *two* Ipods to so my family can listen to the *one* album... which I've already paid for?

No thanks. I've got better things to do with my money than pay three times for the same music. Heck, the only reason I've got an Ipod in the first place is because someone gave it to me as a gift.

Edited by yo mama

So I should have to buy *two* Ipods to so my family can listen to the *one* album... which I've already paid for?

No thanks. I've got better things to do with my money than pay three times for the same music. Heck, the only reason I've got an Ipod in the first place is because someone gave it to me as a gift.

with only one CD, you both can't listen to it at the same time ... you would have to buy two CDs ... or burn a copy.

it won't be long before every car has a hard drive in it big enough to hold your entire music library. for now, the ipod is just the portable hard drive that you dock in. people having their own player is not equivalent to paying for the music multiple times, not sure what you mean by that.