[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I won a poker tournament on Saturday

Furd

Can you at least write it off? :wacko:

I don't think so. I didn't decare it as income, so I can't write it off. (I'm going to double check this.)

Well done. How many players? Any key hands to discuss?

34 I think. $125 buy in, 2,000 chips to start, with unlimited rebuys for 90 minutes and one add-on at the 90 minute break. (These charities know how to milk you.) I did neither.

As I think back at it, there were remarkably few hands of note. I don't think that there were very many accomplished players in the field, however, I did not encounter any newbies who weren't at least familiar with the mechanics of the game. I've seen much worse at charity tournaments.

No real strategy to the following, just anecdotal: after the break, blinds were 500/1000. I had a whopping 4k in chips. First hand I drew JJ mid-position. Went all in with 2 callers (both with smaller stacks than me, but not by much.) A-Q and K-10. Oops. But the Js held and I had about 10k. Several hands later I look down at AA. Two bettors before me, UTG raises 2X big blind, next guy reraises. 7,500 in pot, I push my 10k in, both call. AA stands and I'm in bidness.

Blinds go up. I go pretty agressive, stealing blinds. The guy at the final table that I consider my "competition" gets an unlucky break when a girl misreads the board, thinking she had a straight (flop K-Q-9), has nothing (J-8) when he has kings. Turn - J. River- 8. Bye-bye. (The guy was a dick, so too bad.)

The other people at the final table seem to be a bit intimidated by the size of the bets/raises. So I start raising 25-30k, taking blinds. I make one hugh mistake. 4 handed, I'm in the BB. I reraise with A-4. Raiser has A-K. I shoulda known she had a hand. Lost half my stack.

Never had better than 2 pair. Never slowed played once. I think that its just affirmation of the soundness of aggressive play.

Before or after the bingo?

Before the bingo, after the shuffleboard.

Actually, not too many old people there, but plenty of people with $$$. (I had to come in through the kitchen entrance of the country club)

Edited by Furd

I don't think so. I didn't decare it as income, so I can't write it off. (I'm going to double check this.)

Sure, you can deduct it. But you'll get in trouble if they catch the fact that you didn't declare the gambling winnings. The best thing to do would be if you had other gambling losses that you could use to offset the gambling winnings (declare both, which wash each other), then take the charitable contribution deduction independent of the gambling activities.

So, that means you may have an added incentive to keep track of all your gambling loses this year.

Edited by yo mama

Nicely done. My dad was in town this weekend and we played yesterday. $125 buy in tourney for 1500 in chips, optional $100 rebuy/add-on that could be used any time in the first 3 levels (you only could do it once, so essentially it was a $225 tourney).

Nothing of note in the tourney for me. Had in the low 70s for players, with 60+ using the rebuy/add-on. Paid top 9 with winner getting $5100. I busted middle of the pack, around 35th or so as we had just recently condensed to 4 tables. My dad finished in 12th.

Only plus was I made the buy-in back plus a little at the cash games.

Edited by Big Country

I've won three straight smaller tourney's I've played at my local. $60 buy in, no rebuys, no adds, $7000 starting stack, 15 minute levels. Fields were 26, 24 and 19. Only pay top 3-4 each tourney. So for the last week and a half, I'm up $900+

No real notable hands beside one for me.

In the first tourney, down to final 7 or 8. Blinds were 500-1000 and table folds around to me in the SB. 8J of hearts. The BB was a pretty aggressive player, but recently got caught bluffing big and kind of had gone tight, but still had me slightly covered. So I only call wanting to see a flop. Flop comes K, 8, 3 with two clubs and a spade. I lead out for $1500 figuring if he had a K he would have raised pre flop. He smooth calls. Turn is a red 7. I check actually hoping that might have hit him. He checks too. River is a red A. I bet $2000. He goes in the tank for about two minutes and announces all-in. So now I go in the tank as the table chater at the other end quickly stops. I ask him, 'missed your flush, huh?' No answer. I think it over a minute or two longer. 'Suited connectors? 5-6 of clubs?' No answer. 'If you slow played an A or K you got it. I call' Guy stands up and flings his cards across the table and walks away muttering under his breathe. The dealer pulls them in toward the muck and announces, 'shows the 5-6 of clubs' as the table all turn their head and ooo and ahhh and wooow at me. :wacko: Now I know what Negraneu feels like on a daily basis.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

I've won three straight smaller tourney's I've played at my local. $60 buy in, no rebuys, no adds, $7000 starting stack, 15 minute levels. Fields were 26, 24 and 19. Only pay top 3-4 each tourney. So for the last week and a half, I'm up $900+

No real notable hands beside one for me.

In the first tourney, down to final 7 or 8. Blinds were 500-1000 and table folds around to me in the SB. 8J of hearts. The BB was a pretty aggressive player, but recently got caught bluffing big and kind of had gone tight, but still had me slightly covered. So I only call wanting to see a flop. Flop comes K, 8, 3 with two clubs and a spade. I lead out for $800 figuring if he had a K he would have raised pre flop. He smooth calls. Turn is a red 7. I check actually hoping that might have hit him. He checks too. River is a red A. I bet $2000. He goes in the tank for about two minutes and announces all-in. So now I go in the tank as the table chater at the other end quickly stops. I ask him, 'missed your flush, huh?' No answer. I think it over a minute or two longer. 'Suited connectors? 5-6 of clubs?' No answer. 'If you slow played an A or K you got it. I call' Guy stands up and flings his cards across the table and walks away muttering under his breathe. The dealer pulls them in toward the muck and announces, 'shows the 5-6 of clubs' as the table all turn their head and ooo and ahhh and wooow at me. :wacko: Now I know what Negraneu feels like on a daily basis.

How can you bet $800 when the bb is $1,000? Don't you have to at least bet the bb?