[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gardening Season Is Here

Footballjoe

Its been quite nice here in VA the last few days. The weather forecast looks good in the upcoming weeks. Today I went out and clear two sections of my vegtable garden. I turned the soil and raked it out. Tomorrow or Saturday I wil lget some compost to spread around and plant some salad, broccolli, brussel sprouts and a few other things. :wacko: I have some storm windows I can use for a make shift green house if needed. I am psyched. :D:D:brew::D:D The cucumbers wiil come later.

Guest Chappy
Its been quite nice here in VA the last few days. The weather forecast looks good in the upcoming weeks. Today I went out and clear two sections of my vegtable garden. I turned the soil and raked it out. Tomorrow or Saturday I wil lget some compost to spread around and plant some salad, broccolli, brussel sprouts and a few other things. :wacko: I have some storm windows I can use for a make shift green house if needed. I am psyched. :D:D:brew::D:D The cucumbers wiil come later.

Sounds great!! I wish I were knowledgeable in the area of gardening. Plus the fact that my yard floods whenever we have bad rain always makes me a bit hesitant from attempting any such gardening tasks. Good luck with it.

Sounds great!! I wish I were knowledgeable in the area of gardening. Plus the fact that my yard floods whenever we have bad rain always makes me a bit hesitant from attempting any such gardening tasks. Good luck with it.

I would suggest planting rice.

Today was an absolute perfect gardening day. Sunny with a clear sky and in the 70's. I got up this morning and after eating breakfast went out and unloaded the pick up of the cinder blocks I got for the greenhouse that I will work on later this summer. My son had also picked up some used french doors that may work for one of the walls.

Next I went to the local nursary and picked up a yard (2 scoops) of compost. I had turned the soil over in most of the garden on Thursday and cleaned out the weeds. I then spred the compost evenly in the garden. Next was a trip to Lowes to see what plants were available. I bought and then planted: broccolli, spinach, roman lettuce and cabbage. I still need to put the onions in the ground.

Tomorrow I plan on starting the seeds I picked up for the warmer weather crops.

Oh yeah! Yesterday I went shopping for a tiller. Picked up one from Sears that was reduced because it was last years model. I always wanted a tiller, that is besides the pieces of crap that I had before. I see the garden expanding this year. :D

Happy Gardening :wacko:

I might live on the driest acre in Bowie County, Texas. While this is great because I am 100' from the water tower and 100% flood proof. But it requires a lot of water so I am going to o a "large" bed this year. I am going to build it from house siding and steel stakes. As soon as I find a good source of top soil it is on.

I'm increasing my garden by about 100 square feet this year. In the fall I dump my leaves in there and about half way through the winter I turn 'em into the soil. I have a tiller I am borrowing this year from a friend, so that will help.

I started my seeds about a week ago. I have 18 tomato plants, 9 cucumber, and 9 green pepper. Also planning on doing some snow peas, canteloupe (did these last year. very tasty), green beans, and pumpkins.

I'm toying with the idea of building a raised bed so I can plant and replant lettuce and radishes this year. That way I can control the smoothness of the soil a little better. I may throw some carrots in there also. Not sure about that yet.

I'm increasing my garden by about 100 square feet this year. In the fall I dump my leaves in there and about half way through the winter I turn 'em into the soil. I have a tiller I am borrowing this year from a friend, so that will help.

I started my seeds about a week ago. I have 18 tomato plants, 9 cucumber, and 9 green pepper. Also planning on doing some snow peas, canteloupe (did these last year. very tasty), green beans, and pumpkins.

I'm toying with the idea of building a raised bed so I can plant and replant lettuce and radishes this year. That way I can control the smoothness of the soil a little better. I may throw some carrots in there also. Not sure about that yet.

I do all my gardening in raised beds. I built 8' x 8' beds out of treated lumber. I filled it with good soil and compost. Its much easier to maintain this way IMO. After planting I put down news paper and mulch. Last year I used shredded leaves, this year I am going next door to the Fire Station and get shredded pine from where they just cut down some trees and ground up the stump. I am going to build a screener to seperate it and then dump the rest into my compost pile.

I do all my gardening in raised beds. I built 8' x 8' beds out of treated lumber. I filled it with good soil and compost. Its much easier to maintain this way IMO. After planting I put down news paper and mulch. Last year I used shredded leaves, this year I am going next door to the Fire Station and get shredded pine from where they just cut down some trees and ground up the stump. I am going to build a screener to seperate it and then dump the rest into my compost pile.

Are you not worried about the toxins from the lumber leaching into the beds?

Last year I planted a fig branch that my neighbor gave me from what she says is a really prolific fig tree from Sicily. I covered it in heavy plastic all winter. Do you think its too early to uncover and start watering or should I give it a few weeks ? I live in NJ. Its warming up but the mornings are sometimes in the low 40s.

Last year I planted a fig branch that my neighbor gave me from what she says is a really prolific fig tree from Sicily. I covered it in heavy plastic all winter. Do you think its too early to uncover and start watering or should I give it a few weeks ? I live in NJ. Its warming up but the mornings are sometimes in the low 40s.

I really do not a thing about fig trees. I would think you need to ensure that you are past the chance of a freeze before you remove the plastic. IMO I would wait a while longer.

Another quick question. My mother in law , as most of you know, is seriously ill. She absolutely loved to plant flowers in the spring/ summer and this year she will not be able to. I would like to get my kids into planting..Is their a plant I can grow from the seed in small pots that my kids can tend to that I can start in the spring and it will be ready in the summer that I can give my mother in law from my kids that should could then tend to in her house ?

Another quick question. My mother in law , as most of you know, is seriously ill. She absolutely loved to plant flowers in the spring/ summer and this year she will not be able to. I would like to get my kids into planting..Is their a plant I can grow from the seed in small pots that my kids can tend to that I can start in the spring and it will be ready in the summer that I can give my mother in law from my kids that should could then tend to in her house ?

Easy to grow and care for and kid friendly: marigolds and zinnias and probably a ton of others. See if you can find out what your mom grew and do some of those. And for your fig, uncover it during warm (60s at least) days but recover it in the evening. When you are completely past danger of frost you're pretty much safe to leave it uncovered. According to one of my favorite gardening books How To Grow Fruits and Vegetables By The Organic Method NJ is not a recommended area to grow figs outdoors. But I'd try it anyway just to see.

• 1 month later...
Easy to grow and care for and kid friendly: marigolds and zinnias and probably a ton of others. See if you can find out what your mom grew and do some of those. And for your fig, uncover it during warm (60s at least) days but recover it in the evening. When you are completely past danger of frost you're pretty much safe to leave it uncovered. According to one of my favorite gardening books How To Grow Fruits and Vegetables By The Organic Method NJ is not a recommended area to grow figs outdoors. But I'd try it anyway just to see.

I took your advice and planted Zinnias in a long pot that we will keep on the deck until they grow then we will give them to my mother in law. I followed the instructions on the seeds package. Planted 12" apart and 1/4" deep the covered in light soil and slightly patted the soil 2 questions : How often do I water ? and How much direct sunlight do they need ? I can move the pot around easily

Edited by whomper

Prior to the draft yesterday I had a perfect day to work in the vegtable garden. I have already been benefiting from the cool weather crops, salad, brocolli, cabbage, etc. Yesterday I planted (3) tomato plants, (2) squash, (1) eggplant, (1) cuccumber and (2 rows) bush beans. I will be planting more a little later. The biggest accomplishment IMO was getting the mulch from the garden center. This will cut WAY back on weeding this year. I got 1/2 yd for $13.

I finished building some additional raised beds a few weeks ago. Just got finished planting our veggies last weekend. Now I'm eyeballing another area in my back yard that would be a great place to bulid another raised bed, but its underneath a plum tree; the location gets a lot of shade.

Any recommendations on veggies I could plant there, that like shade?

Edited by yo mama

I finished building some additional raised beds a few weeks ago. Just got finished planting our veggies last weekend. Now I'm eyeballing another area in my back yard that would be a great place to bulid another raised bed, but its underneath a plum tree; the location gets a lot of shade.

Any recommendations on veggies I could plant there, that like shade?

I think just about any veggie would need some sunlight but perhaps cool weather crops would do well there. plants some spinach, mixed salad, broccolli, etc

I think just about any veggie would need some sunlight but perhaps cool weather crops would do well there. plants some spinach, mixed salad, broccolli, etc

It'll get some sun. But sun-loving plants (like tomatoes) won't do well there. I'll look into spinach and broc. Thanks for the tip.