[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

idiot truckers about to trike

polksalet

what do they think they will accomplish by riding around on tricycles? :D

Reminds me of the farmers in the early 80's when many gave up self employment for regular jobs.

Owner Operators may be a dying trend. Enter Bush's Nafta Superhighway, mexican truckers running products from Mexico to Canada.

Shlt why mess with illegals crossing the border when we can get mexican truckers to do it for a hefty profit? :wacko:

Why is Diesel $4 a gallon? It used to be the same price as unleaded. Why is it so much more? The truckers have my support too.

Truckers are the life blood of our economy. If they can't afford to work because of soaring fuel prices then I support them.

Yeah, its not like they can pass along the fuel price increases to their customers as part of a surcharge or anything.

Truckers are the life blood of our economy. If they can't afford to work because of soaring fuel prices then I support them.

+1

Yeah, its not like they can pass along the fuel price increases to their customers as part of a surcharge or anything.

I hope this wasn't meant to be sarcastic. My step father has been an Independent trucker for 50+ years. He gets paid X dollars to take a load from point A to point B which costs him Y in fuel, with no fuel reimbursement. If X doesn't increase to compensate with the soaring Y then it eats directly into his gross earnings. My step father has told me that the gap between X and Y is almost to the point where he'd make more money just staying at home. The Independent truckers have nobody to pass the cost of fuel to, if their Emplyer doesn't compensate then they end up eating it.

The surcharges don't trickle down to the truckers, they actually save money by not hauling in some cases.

I hope this wasn't meant to be sarcastic. My step father has been an Independent trucker for 50+ years. He gets paid X dollars to take a load from point A to point B which costs him Y in fuel, with no fuel reimbursement. If X doesn't increase to compensate with the soaring Y then it eats directly into his gross earnings. My step father has told me that the gap between X and Y is almost to the point where he'd make more money just staying at home. The Independent truckers have nobody to pass the cost of fuel to, if their Emplyer doesn't compensate then they end up eating it.

Irish Doggy's point is to increase X.

That is the best solution but it's the equivalent of asking for a raise and sometimes you have to prove you're willing to walk away before you get one.

True. Is it a safe assumption that independent truckers don't get as much as company truckers? If so, I guess that could be the wiggle room they need. If not, sure makes it tougher.

True. Is it a safe assumption that independent truckers don't get as much as company truckers? If so, I guess that could be the wiggle room they need. If not, sure makes it tougher.

I'd wager most company truckers get reimbursement for fuel costs while most independents get more money per haul.