[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The New Yankee Stadium Curse

SheikYerbuti

I don't know which side of this story is more insane. Is it the numbnutz who thought he was really putting a curse on the stadium? Was it the Yankees for feeling the need to dig for five hours to remove it?

I mean seriously. . . .are we living in the Middle Ages??

NY Yankees unearth buried Red Sox jersey from new stadium

NEW YORK (AP)—A construction worker’s bid to curse the New York Yankees by planting a Boston Red Sox jersey in their new stadium was foiled when the home team removed the offending shirt from its burial spot.

After locating the shirt in a service corridor behind what will be a restaurant in the new Yankee Stadium, construction workers jackhammered through the concrete Sunday and pulled it out.

The team said it learned that a Red Sox-rooting construction worker had buried a shirt in the new Bronx stadium, which will open next year across the street from the current ballpark, from a report in the New York Post on Friday.

Yankees president Randy Levine said team officials at first considered leaving the shirt where it was.

“The first thought was, you know, it’s never a good thing to be buried in cement when you’re in New York,” Levine said. “But then we decided, why reward somebody who had really bad motives and was trying to do a really bad thing?”

On Saturday, construction workers who remembered the employee, Gino Castignoli phoned in tips about the shirt’s location.

“We had anonymous people come tell us where it was, and we were able to find it,” said Frank Gramarossa, a project executive with Turner Construction, the general contractor on the site.

It took about five hours of drilling Saturday to locate the shirt under 2 feet of concrete, he said.

On Sunday, Levine and Yankees CEO Lonn Trost watched as Gramarossa and foreman Rich Corrado finished the job and pulled the shirt from the rubble.

In shreds from the jackhammers, the shirt still bore the letters “Red Sox” on the front. It was a David Ortiz jersey, No. 34.

Trost said the Yankees had discussed possible criminal charges against Castignoli with the district attorney’s office.

“We will take appropriate action since fortunately we do know the name of the individual,” he said.

A spokesman for Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said Sunday he did not know whether any criminal charges might apply.

“It’s typical Yankees,” Castignoli told the Boston Herald on Monday. “It’s not like I snuck in there. It didn’t do any structural damage. I didn’t put anyone in harm’s way.”

Castignoli, 46, said he became a Red Sox fan during his childhood in 1975 when he idolized slugger Jim Rice.

As construction began for the new Yankee Stadium, Castignoli said his union got after him to work on the project. The Red Sox fan was reluctant.

“I would not go near Yankee Stadium, not for all the hot dogs in the world,” he told the Herald.

But he relented, and hatched the plan to plant the jersey. He said he worked just a single day at the stadium project.

“It was worth it,” he said.

Levine said the shirt would be cleaned up and sent to the Jimmy Fund, a charity affiliated with Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Along with that, New York will send a Yankees Universe T-shirt, which is sold to benefit Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

“Hopefully the Jimmy Fund will auction it off and we’ll take the act that was a very, very bad act and turn it into something beautiful,” he said.

Superstition is Hugh in sports. I would have dug the 5 hours to find it. After finding it I would have replaced the jersey with the guy that put it there. This doosh got 15 minutes of fame instead of the lifetime of fame he would have gotten for every year they didnt win that the media would blame on that stupid jersey

Dude didn't have to think he was really putting a curse on the stadium to do it. Think about the bragging rights if, as a Red Sox fan, you managed to bury an Ortiz jersey under the new Yankee stadium. That would be sweet.

Now, dude should have been more discreet about it until they got far enough along that they couldn't go in after it.

That said, the Yankees had no choice. Imagine the outrage from the lunatic fringe of the fan base if they knew there was a Red Sox jersey buried in the stadium and didn't go after it. What happens if they just happen to stink up the joint for the first few years in the new crib? People would be crapping all over themselves.

All in all, it's freaking hilarious and great theater!

What happens if they just happen to stink up the joint for the first few years in the new crib?

Not gonna happen. Steinbrenner will just pull out his checkbook, sign other team's star players and bore the arse off all of us once again.

Not gonna happen. Steinbrenner will just pull out his checkbook, sign other team's star players and bore the arse off all of us once again.

Reminder to everyone: The Yankees have not won a WS in 8 years. Playing checkbook warfare has not gotten the job done. The only great Yankee team they fielded was a product of their FARM SYSTEM (the Brosius, Posada, Jeter, Martinez, Rivera team).

Reminder to everyone: The Yankees have not won a WS in 8 years. Playing checkbook warfare has not gotten the job done. The only great Yankee team they fielded was a product of their FARM SYSTEM (the Brosius, Posada, Jeter, Martinez, Rivera team).

Should be noted that even that team had a decent amount of imported talent though (Martinez, Brosius, Wetteleand (if we're talking the '96 team)), O'Neill.

Yanks are still a crock of poo that should have been immersed in concrete long since. And in case you think I'm biased, that applies to the Red Sux too. A pox on both of the ESPN darlings. :wacko:

I'm as much a Yankee-hater as anyone, but I like the gesture they are making by sending the T-shirt to the Jimmy Fund - a charity that raises funds for cancer research and which has a very long affiliation with the Red Sox. Classy move.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Yanks are still a crock of poo that should have been immersed in concrete long since. And in case you think I'm biased, that applies to the Red Sux too. A pox on both of the ESPN darlings. :wacko:

Sorry. . .East Coast Bias + 100 year old rivalry x Unlimited funds = more air time.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

What is the point of signing Johnny Damon and then taking away the source of all his power? He looks like a banker now.

What is the point of signing Johnny Damon and then taking away the source of all his power? He looks like a banker now.

Greatest sign ever seen at Fenway Park -

Johnny Damon:

Looks like Jesus

Acts like Judas

Throws like Mary

All the guys on the sox last year were from the farm ? Checkbook warefare hasnt gotten it done for the Yanks perhaps.

All the guys on the sox last year were from the farm ? Checkbook warefare hasnt gotten it done for the Yanks perhaps.

It's a well known fact that people go to the Yankees for the love of money, while people play for the Red Sox out of love for the game (and also to a lesser extent lots of money).

The Yankees used their checkbook to get the greatest player of this generation. The Red Sox used theirs to get a fat guy with a bloody sock. Conclusion 1: Checkbook warfare produces arbitrary results.

Conclusion 2: The biggest checkbook in the world don't mean squat when you're spending on guys like Carl Pavano and they're spending on Beckett.

Develop your farm system.

It's a well known fact that people go to the Yankees for the love of money, while people play for the Red Sox out of love for the game (and also to a lesser extent lots of money).

The Yankees used their checkbook to get the greatest player of this generation. The Red Sox used theirs to get a fat guy with a bloody sock. Conclusion 1: Checkbook warfare produces arbitrary results.

Conclusion 2: The biggest checkbook in the world don't mean squat when you're spending on guys like Carl Pavano and they're spending on Beckett.

Develop your farm system.

:D Im with you Sheik. I am not a Yankees fan. I actually like the Orioles :wacko: But the last time I checked the Sox payroll was up there. Dice K didnt come cheap IIRC. Schilling, Beckett, Drew..I like Pedroia and Ellsbury and I believ Varitek is from the farm but How many of the guys on the sox last year were from their farm system ?

2008 Payrolls

Rank Team Payroll

1 New York Yankees $209,081,579

2 Detroit Tigers $138,685,197

3 New York Mets $138,293,378

4 Boston Red Sox $133,440,037

5 Chicago White Sox $121,152,667

6 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $119,216,333

7 Chicago Cubs $118,595,833

8 Los Angeles Dodgers $118,536,038

9 Seattle Mariners $117,993,982

10 Atlanta Braves $102,424,018

11 St. Louis Cardinals $100,624,450

12 Toronto Blue Jays $98,641,957

13 Philadelphia Phillies $98,269,881

14 Houston Astros $88,930,415

15 Milwaukee Brewers $81,004,167

16 Cleveland Indians $78,970,067

17 San Francisco Giants $76,904,500

18 Cincinnati Reds $74,277,695

19 San Diego Padres $73,677,617

20 Colorado Rockies $68,655,500

21 Texas Rangers $68,239,551

22 Baltimore Orioles $67,196,248

23 Arizona Diamondbacks $66,202,713

24 Minnesota Twins $62,182,767

25 Kansas City Royals $58,245,500

26 Washington Nationals $54,961,000

27 Pittsburgh Pirates $49,365,283

28 Oakland Athletics $47,967,126

29 Tampa Bay Rays $43,820,598

30 Florida Marlins $21,836,500

[edit] References

When have the Yanks ever not been near the top of the payroll scale? However, ask any fan of that team during the 80s and they'll remind you how it doesn't always mean they win.

The Yanks, like everyone will have their dips. That dip might mean they only finish 3rd or 4th of course.

2008 Payrolls

Rank Team Payroll

1 New York Yankees $209,081,579

2 Detroit Tigers $138,685,197

3 New York Mets $138,293,378

4 Boston Red Sox $133,440,037

This surprises me. I didn't know that the Tigers and Mets were outspending the Sox. I really thought we were #2.