[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Playoffs!

budlitebrad

not sure who is easier to dislike, Spurs players or their cocky fans.........

I cant believe you even are mentioning sweep, gimme an effing break- you guys came away the luckiest team on earth to win come out up 2-0.

Duncan's 3 was an absolute miracle. period. Career 19%

Sweep? yer outta yer mind- Phx takes both at hom and goes back to SA 2-2

G HIll hobbled is HUGH in this series, and they are just not the same team without him

If you reread my post, I think I specifically stated I don't think they will sweep Phoenix. Going back to SA tied 2-2 wouldn't suprise me in the least.

Calling Duncan's 3 pointer a miracle might be a stretch, but it was definitely lucky, as he quickly admitted in the post-game interview. However, fighting back from 16 points down despite a terrible start and staying out of fould trouble was not.

I've always wondered why people dislike the Spurs so much. Is it because they have built their team around upstanding people that also happen to play ball (i.e. David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Tim Duncan)? Is it because they run thugs out of town no matter how good they are (ala Stephen Jackson)? Is it becasue you can actually understand the players in interviews despite their heavy accents? For that matter, is it all the non-American players? Is it because they acutally play defense and typically are involved in low scoring, grind 'em out games? Is it because they have the best winning percentage of any professional sports franchise in the last 11 years and 4 rings?

Honestly, I never understood the animosity before last year. Now, everyone uses the Suns series last year as their excuse to hate the team.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you reread my post, I think I specifically stated I don't think they will sweep Phoenix. Going back to SA tied 2-2 wouldn't suprise me in the least.

Calling Duncan's 3 pointer a miracle might be a stretch, but it was definitely lucky, as he quickly admitted in the post-game interview. However, fighting back from 16 points down despite a terrible start and staying out of fould trouble was not.

I've always wondered why people dislike the Spurs so much. Is it because they have built their team around upstanding people that also happen to play ball (i.e. David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Tim Duncan)? Is it because they run thugs out of town no matter how good they are (ala Stephen Jackson)? Is it becasue you can actually understand the players in interviews despite their heavy accents? For that matter, is it all the non-American players? Is it because they acutally play defense and typically are involved in low scoring, grind 'em out games? Is it because they have the best winning percentage of any professional sports franchise in the last 11 years and 4 rings?

Honestly, I never understood the animosity before last year. Now, everyone uses the Suns series last year as their excuse to hate the team.

Most people I know, and (it has nothing to do with being a Suns or fan of any other team) hates them because they are the biggest bunch of whiny, soccer flopping b1tches in the NBA BY FAR!! They all may be great guys but they whine and throw their hands up on every freaking call -

Duncan- I love him, but he has never committed a foul and whines more than anyone on the league

Ginosely - Easily the biggest soccer player in the league- I mean you brush him and he and his nose hit the deck HARD.

Parker - such a b1tch, loved when Shaq layed the wood on him- his post game french to Eva was so lame.........

Bowen - the most disliked player in the league?? count Ray Allen, Kobe, TMac and others who want to beat the chit out of the guy because he is legitimately dirty. I hate him

I can't forget the MVP of last years title team- Robert Horry

GO SUNS

Most people I know, and (it has nothing to do with being a Suns or fan of any other team) hates them because they are the biggest bunch of whiny, soccer flopping b1tches in the NBA BY FAR!! They all may be great guys but they whine and throw their hands up on every freaking call -

Duncan- I love him, but he has never committed a foul and whines more than anyone on the league

Half the time, he really didn't commit a foul. He also whines less than a lot of stars (going back to MJ) do about being fouled every time they miss a shot.

Ginosely - Easily the biggest soccer player in the league- I mean you brush him and he and his nose hit the deck HARD.

He does flop as much as every other international player in the league. He also is in the air twisting through defenders the majority of the time and pays for it by hitting the floor. I love the fact that he plays 120 miles an hour all the time. Duncan would have an Olympic gold medal instead of the Argentinians if he really sucked that much.

Parker - such a b1tch, loved when Shaq layed the wood on him- his post game french to Eva was so lame.........

What has he done to be labeled a b1tch? His game is driving to the basket. The Lakers beat the Spurs in 2002 by having Shaq hammer him everytime he came inside. I'd like to see you get leveled by a 7'2", 360 lb monster and come right back at him two plays later. Also, why is it lame for a native of Paris to speak French to his extremely hot wife?

Bowen - the most disliked player in the league?? count Ray Allen, Kobe, TMac and others who want to beat the chit out of the guy because he is legitimately dirty. I hate him

Every high octane offensive player he gaurds hates him. Too bad. Change the rules, and he'll quit doing what he does. If he were really that dirty, why has he made the first team for defense so many years in a row?

The MVP of a lot of title teams in several cities. I refuse to classify his whole career on one intentional foul that got out of hand.

GO SUNS

Want to put your $ where your mouth typewriter is?

GO SUNS

Very good synopsys.

And for the record, David Robinson was a Spur that I liked and respected.

sure - what kind of odds are you laying up 2-0??

Let's talk after the Suns even it up 2-2.

You've got a good point, and I realized after I posted that it doesn't take too much to bet on your team when they are up 2-0. If the series ends up tied 2-2, I'm still willing to put $ on the Spurs just like I would've before the series.

Very good synopsys.

And for the record, David Robinson was a Spur that I liked and respected.

I'm not going to get into some internet arguing match with a bunch of guys I don't even know defending my favoirte team and its players. I realize that I cheer for the Patriots of the NBA and that fans in the mold of Ugly Tuna and Pigdevilz have cast a poor light on all Spurs fans. I felt the same way about the MJ era Bulls.

If we ever meet, I 'd love to sit down over a :wacko: and argue about the Spurs. Until then, I'm going to leave it alone as I've already gone farther down that path than I like.

I think it's about time to dismantle the Mavs.

I think they lack direction from what I saw. That and Kidd just wasn't up for the challenge. He is done! The Hornets are younger, quicker, and just plain better!

Not all teams are built from the point out but it certainly worked for us!

The Mavs have some tradeable players and maybe they could do a package that puts them in position to get a PG that can bring out the talent in that team. Kidd is not that PG!

Congrats to the Suns fans. Other than Game 3, the Suns put up a heck of a fight.

Charlotte is going to be a tough matchup for Timmy and company. It could be an interesting series. Go Spurs!

I think it's about time to dismantle the Mavs.

It starting.

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks fired coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, the first of what's likely to be many offseason moves after the league's highest payroll produced a second straight first-round knockout from the playoffs.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing other candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

Johnson leaves with an impressive résumé after three-plus seasons, but Mavs owner Mark Cuban couldn't tolerate a bottom line of being 3-12 in the playoffs since blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA Finals.

The Mavericks followed that disappointment by the embarrassment of being ousted by Golden State in the opening round last season in one of the biggest upsets in league history. They were just dumped in five games by Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets. Dallas didn't win a single road game against the Heat, Warriors or Hornets, an 0-9 skid that was too much to overcome.

The final slate on Johnson's tenure: 194-70 in the regular season, 23-24 in the playoffs.

A championship-winning point guard for San Antonio during his long career, Johnson became Dallas' coach-in-waiting when he joined Don Nelson's staff before the 2004-05 season. He had to wait only a few months. Nellie stepped aside in March 2005 and "The Little General" took over.

The Mavs went 16-2 the rest of that season and won a playoff series. Then, in Johnson's first full season, Dallas went to the NBA Finals for the first time and he was named the league's coach of the year.

After squandering their title shot, Johnson and the Mavs bounced back by winning 67 games, matching the fifth most in league history -- only to waste it with the opening-round playoff loss to, of all people, Nelson and the Warriors.

Critics said Johnson was outcoached by Miami's Pat Riley in the 2006 Finals, then by Nellie in the 2007 playoffs. Johnson gave critics ammunition with moves such as switching hotels during the Finals to get away from distractions and changing his starting lineup for Game 1 against Golden State even though his team was the overwhelming favorite.

More fodder came in the final months of this season, when he benched newly acquired Jason Kidd for the final 35 seconds of a game against rival San Antonio. A few weeks later, Johnson and Cuban had a shouting match in the coach's office following a home loss to the Lakers.

Dallas was 16-13 after Kidd arrived -- 17-17 including the playoffs. The Mavericks were 35-18 before giving up young point guard Devin Harris and a package of players and picks for the veteran superstar.

Johnson's rift with his club was apparent in the Hornets series. Down 2-0, he said to blame him, adding it was his fault the Mavs were missing layups, free throws and defensive assignments. The next day, Josh Howard went on local radio to talk about how much he and other NBA players enjoy using Josh Gordon. Then, after Dallas lost Game 4, Johnson canceled an off-day practice only to discover that players ended up putting themselves through a workout without him.

He may not be unemployed very long. The New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls are among the teams which need coaches and both might want a young, proven coach who preaches defense and discipline.

Who will Cuban hire next?

It's hard to guess because he's never really hired anyone. He inherited Nelson when he bought the team, then he and Nellie agreed to groom Johnson.

Paul Westphal was on Johnson's staff, and Del Harris remains on the payroll as a consultant. Jeff Van Gundy and Rick Carlisle are other experienced coaches who could be interested, if Cuban is.

Whoever takes over will get a roster of expensive, aging players.

Dirk Nowitzki is still in his prime, but he turns 30 this summer. Jason Kidd is 35 and likely will be back since his $21 million contract is at the player's option. He has only one year left on his contract and he knows he won't get more than that on the open market.

For better or worse, the rest of the starting lineup is signed, too. That includes Howard, the only player under contract who is in his 20s. He turned 28 Monday -- and his presence at a birthday party held Sunday night after the Game 4 loss to New Orleans reportedly prompted Johnson to cancel the off-day practice that ended up being rescheduled by players.

Also under contracts that make them tough to trade are Erick Dampier ($11.5 million), Jason Terry ($9.1 million) and Jerry Stackhouse ($7 million).

Eddie Jones, who will be 37 next season, is likely to exercise a $2 million player option.

Dallas also has a team option on Brandon Bass, who at this point is the team's most promising youngster.

The Mavericks don't have a first-round pick, having traded it to New Jersey in the Kidd deal.

Dampier's presence will be a reminder of the Johnson era. He played with Dampier in Golden State and urged Cuban to sign him, vowing he could get the most out of the big man known mostly as an underachiever. Dampier averaged 6.1 points and 7.5 rebounds over 24.4 minutes per game this season. He's signed through 2011.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks fired coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, the first of what's likely to be many offseason moves after the league's highest payroll produced a second straight first-round knockout from the playoffs.

If Donnie Walsh wants to get the Knicks back on track, he should have 2 things on his To Do List:

1. Stop accepting applications from TV commentators who have ZERO coaching experience and call Avery Johnson ASAP.

2. Clear out as many contracts as he possibly can and GET LABRON when his contract is up.

Why the hell wasn't Allen or even Posey taking that last shot?

Honestly I will have to watch the play again but it did not even look like Allen was making an attempt to get open for a three. Why anyone was in the box is dumbfounding. It is three or it is over. A rebound does nothing.

Hornets came on strong in the second half.

Can we please get a Lakers-Hornets conference finals? :wacko:

That would be my guess. It was only one game but if the Hornets can contain Duncan that way throughout the series the Spurs are going home!

Guest Chappy

Anyone see the screen Kevin Garnett set at the end of the 4th quarter against the Hawks tonight? :wacko: I can't remember who he tatooed but the guy hit the floor hard and I figured for sure it was payback for Rondo being taken out with a hard foul earlier in the game.

That would be my guess. It was only one game but if the Hornets can contain Duncan that way throughout the series the Spurs are going home!

The Hornets and their young legs are going to be tough for the Spurs. They did an absolutely amazing job on Duncan in Game 1, but I really doubt they can hold him to single digit scoring throughout the series. I'm interested to see the adjustments Pop makes for tonight's game. Can the Spurs experience and basketball IQ overcome the Hornets' athleticism? I openly admit I'm biased being a Spurs fan but truly believe the winner of tonight's game will win the series.

Anyone see the screen Kevin Garnett set at the end of the 4th quarter against the Hawks tonight? :wacko: I can't remember who he tatooed but the guy hit the floor hard and I figured for sure it was payback for Rondo being taken out with a hard foul earlier in the game.

:D