[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Playoffs!

budlitebrad

I've placed bets on the Lakers, Spurs and Pistons to win the title. If one of the two West teams wins the title I am up $100, if the Pistons do it, I am up $150

I just need the Pistons to beat the Celtics in the East and I am a guaranteed winner.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: lakers-spurs and celtics-pistons. nothing against the fans of the teams that are left, but this is why i can't stand the NBA. it feels like the same teams every year. granted, the celts haven't been this good in a while, but it's not like they're an upstart franchise looking for a taste of success.

this will be the ninth year of the past 10 that either the lakers, spurs or pistons will be in the finals. i'm not someone who thinks the NBA is fixed, nor do i have any suggestions for how to change things. but i can't be the only one who feels this way. i mean, since 1979, the lakers, celts, pistons, bulls, rockets and spurs -- six teams -- have won all but two of the championships. in that same span, 18 teams have won the super bowl and 19 have won the world series -- more than half their respective leagues. is anyone else as bored of the NBA as i am?

:wacko: lakers-spurs and celtics-pistons. nothing against the fans of the teams that are left, but this is why i can't stand the NBA. it feels like the same teams every year. granted, the celts haven't been this good in a while, but it's not like they're an upstart franchise looking for a taste of success.

this will be the ninth year of the past 10 that either the lakers, spurs or pistons will be in the finals. i'm not someone who thinks the NBA is fixed, nor do i have any suggestions for how to change things. but i can't be the only one who feels this way. i mean, since 1979, the lakers, celts, pistons, bulls, rockets and spurs -- six teams -- have won all but two of the championships. in that same span, 18 teams have won the super bowl and 19 have won the world series -- more than half their respective leagues. is anyone else as bored of the NBA as i am?

Good points here. Thoughts, anyone? Ownership?

Pierce didn't have to carry the team tonight. Perkins and KG were solid on the glass, while Billups and Sheed couldn't get much done. Maybe they needed a game to shake off the rust from their break.

The fact that Boston started to pull away in the second half indicates Detroit were indeed paying the price for a week off. They will not have that problem in game 2. Boston were very good tonight.

I disagree.......one thing you can say about the NBA, basketball and a 7 game series- the better team normally prevails, and you don

t get the upsets and I don't think a core of teams that have won titles is a bad thing per se/ I think the NFL, their salary structure and 1 game SB is an entirely different animal and is not a relevant comparison.

Baseball, is a solid comparison- and to me, when a team like the Marlins or DBacks sneaks in for a WS title- puhleeze I couldn't be more disinterested. Throw in the 24/7 Bos/NY lovefest, Clemens and all the cheating, I am over baseball for the most part

The NBA, more than any other league is star-driven, these guys have so much control, and can flat out lead their teams to multiple titles, and for the most part makes it entertaining for me. I mean, the reality is, other teams had their shots and couldn't get it done- Dallas, chit my Sonics were the best team in the NBA in the non-Jordan years when the Rockets won, upsets happen.

I do agree though, something needs to be done with the way games and stars are referreed- tough tough game to call, but there is too much bias and leeway to affect games- ie Tim Donaghue - they need to overhaul it. Something just is not right with the officiating..............

I was going to post something similar. Odd how the anointed stars never foul out.....

Shaq and Amare Stoudemire foul out regularly, as does 'Sheed. Other players like Chris Paul, never foul out. Part of being a star player is knowing how to play with fouls.

Shaq and Amare Stoudemire foul out regularly, as does 'Sheed. Other players like Chris Paul, never foul out. Part of being a star player is knowing how to play with fouls.

cmon- you don't seriously believe this nonsense do you?? NBA has almost flat out admitted that paying fans come to see stars play.......sooooooo

how many times have you seen calls get changed in 3/4th qtrs from a star to someone else....... all the freaking time

and on the flip- they get the benefit of the doubt - ie DWade against Dallas- one of the absolute biggest jokes I have ever seen in sports...........

well besides the Seattle/Pittsburgh Super Bowl, but that is a whole nother story

I know yer a Spurs fan but cmon back to reality

I disagree.......one thing you can say about the NBA, basketball and a 7 game series- the better team normally prevails, and you don

t get the upsets and I don't think a core of teams that have won titles is a bad thing per se/ I think the NFL, their salary structure and 1 game SB is an entirely different animal and is not a relevant comparison.

Baseball, is a solid comparison- and to me, when a team like the Marlins or DBacks sneaks in for a WS title- puhleeze I couldn't be more disinterested. Throw in the 24/7 Bos/NY lovefest, Clemens and all the cheating, I am over baseball for the most part

The NBA, more than any other league is star-driven, these guys have so much control, and can flat out lead their teams to multiple titles, and for the most part makes it entertaining for me. I mean, the reality is, other teams had their shots and couldn't get it done- Dallas, chit my Sonics were the best team in the NBA in the non-Jordan years when the Rockets won, upsets happen.

I do agree though, something needs to be done with the way games and stars are referreed- tough tough game to call, but there is too much bias and leeway to affect games- ie Tim Donaghue - they need to overhaul it. Something just is not right with the officiating..............

:wacko: so your argument is that upsets suck? you're essentially saying that the great thing about the NBA is that the better team usually wins. wow, that's so exciting! you're right, it would've been so much better if the pats beat the giants in february or if the yankees beat the d-backs in 2001.

i would argue that the lack of any surprises is the biggest reason the NBA's ratings are in the tank. yeah, 7-game championship series are exciting. and since 1994, the NBA has had exactly ONE. meanwhile, six series in that time have finished 4-0 or 4-1. i'll take an upset anytime. otherwsie, why bother with playoffs at all?

cmon- you don't seriously believe this nonsense do you?? NBA has almost flat out admitted that paying fans come to see stars play.......sooooooo

how many times have you seen calls get changed in 3/4th qtrs from a star to someone else....... all the freaking time

and on the flip- they get the benefit of the doubt - ie DWade against Dallas- one of the absolute biggest jokes I have ever seen in sports...........

well besides the Seattle/Pittsburgh Super Bowl, but that is a whole nother story

I know yer a Spurs fan but cmon back to reality

I won't disagree that the superstars get the benefit of the doubt, and the rules even get changed for them. MJ pushed off on every drive he ever made to the basket. The league started enforcing the rule when he tried baseball and just as quickly removed it completely when he made his comeback and complained about it. The half circle under the basket is a direct result of Shaq committing offensive fouls regularly on his way to a thunder dunk and defensive players complaining about him not getting called for it.

However, stars still foul out, but they should know how to play with fouls to avoid it. A star needs to be in the game for his team when it's on the line. David West got into foul trouble several times during the Spurs-Hornets series, and I watched him step away from a slashing Tony or similar play to stay in the game with 5 fouls. I have a lot of respect for that type of basketball IQ.

Agreed.

The Spurs flat ran out of gas in the 4th. Oh well. They looked better than I thought they would following the 7 game series with the Hornets and a quick turnaround.

Total Spurs collapse. They won't get a 20 point lead again and it's difficult to predict for them now. However, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Ginobili won't play as badly again and the Spurs will take the series in 7.

A few of my thoughts on the NBA....

1) This is the point in the season where I actually get into watching the NBA. Regular season means nothing. The teams that actually have a shot at winning the title usually don't start trying until the playoffs. Do you think the Spurs really care if they have home-court advantage? Hardly. Teams that have to fight to make the playoffs have no shot at the title. Teams that have no shot at the playoffs give a 50% effort all season long, which is why I watch zero games during the regular season. I don't even dare bet on the occasional NBA game, because you never know who is going to decide to show up on any given night. That's one of the things that makes the NFL the best product out there right now... every game matters for teams in contention. Too many teams makes the playoffs in the NBA, and you have to pretty much suck not to make it. Good teams miss the post-season every year in the NFL, and MLB for that matter.

2) Everybody has been saying for years that the West is the far better conference, and it is overall. Much deeper from top to bottom, and the 9th or 10th best team in the West compares with #4-5 in the East, in my opinion. But, the media/fans said the same thing when Detroit embarassed the Lakers in the finals 5 years ago, and the same thing when Miami won its title a couple of years after that. I think whoever wins the West this year will be the definite favorite, but it seems a bit naive to think that neither the Celtics or Pistons have no chance at competing in the Finals. Detroit has proven they can win a championship with arguably a less talented squad than what they have right now (better bench now). The one or two years that KG actually had a decent supporting cast in Minnesota, they won a couple of playoff series and pushed the Lakers "All-Star" team further than anyone thought they would. His supporting cast now may not be much better than it was in Minnesota, but the main difference is Pierce, who is far better than anything Garnett ever had for a #2 guy in Minnesota. Wally, Sprewell, Marbury.... please. So, I wouldn't count the East out yet. I think it depends on Billups' health, and which Ray Allen shows up for the remainder of the playoffs. If Detroit advances, and Billups is healthy enough to play 30-35 minutes in the Finals, Detroit can play with either West team. If Boston advances, and Allen is DECENT, they have a shot. Pierce is going to score his 30/game, and KG is going to be KG (18/10/6), with a couple of blocks here or there. Their success depends on Allen and their PG play, between Rondo, Cassell, and House.

3) I'm tired of hearing how Garnett doesn't show up in big games. First, he has had very few big games to show up for. He has spent the majority of his career playing on really bad teams. He's spent the remainder of his career making mediocre teams look better than they really are. Look at some of the playoff rosters the Wolves did have, and you'll see what I mean. But, when ever there has been a big game, he plays well consistently. What people forget about KG is that he's a pass-first, shoot-second player. He's more likely to make the game-winning pass, steal, or block than he is the game-winning shot. I've seen him do it too many times to count, mostly during the regular season (obviously), but in the playoffs as well. Those things don't stick out in the minds of many NBA fans, because he's not taking the big shot in every game like Lebron, Kobe, or Jordan would have. The fact that he is the only player to go five seasons with 20/10/5 is even more impressive because he's a pass-first guy. My only knock on Garnett throughout his career is that he sometimes could have taken more initiative to be the shooter down the stretch. I think he could take over more games if he really wanted to, but he just has a knack for wanting to get other players involved, rather than looking to score every time he gets the ball. Almost selfless to a fault, if you will.

My gut prediction: Conference Finals - Lakers in 6, and Celtics in 7. Finals - Lakers beat Celtics in 6 games....Celtics habit of playing just well enough to get by is going to come back to haunt them eventually, plus they can't seem to win on the road.

My heart: As much as I hate to root for another Boston-area championship, I can't help but pull for Garnett and Pierce, who both have had so few chances to play on playoff teams, much less serious contenders. My thoughts when they made the KG and Allen trades were that they still didn't have a PG, and that would be their downfall this season. I think Rondo has played surprisingly well all season, and picking up Cassell for some veteran leadership has certainly helped. Ironically, if they meet LA in the finals, they'll be facing another team whose strengths are certainly not at the PG position. A matchup of big 3's (KG/Pierce/Allen vs. Kobe/Odom/Gasol) would be very interesting, although I would definitely give the edge to the Lakers, whose big 3 are all in their prime, whereas Allen seems to have lost at least a step.

Edited by Gopher

Brutal defense by the C's tonight. Too many open shots. Hopefully they can somehow split in Detroit. At least Jesus Shuttlesworth came back to life.

Hate to call it so early, but dat could be all she wrote- I just don't see the C's winning in Det- Billups looked much better than game 1, trusting the hammy more it looks like

the Pistons just have too many weapons too many pieces and the experience -

My Seattle homie Stuckey is a baller -

Det v La would be a helluva series

The Big 3 finally played like it, but they'll need more to take down all 5 Pistons, especially at the Palace.

Rondo played a pretty good game also sans a couple bonehead plays down the stretch.

Great game to watch, both teams played well with the exception of the defense at times but both teams hit some big shots. Detroit had the two big stops with under 2 minutes left, the two blocks.

I just hope VIG didn't buy his plane ticket just yet to LA for games 3-5.

Seriously, good to see the Pistons play well, hopefully they play like that the rest of the series. Still would like me some more Jason Maxiell. He's ready. Theo is ok out there but I'd prefer Maxiell when KG is out or even for a few KG minutes.

I love me some Stuckey.

Very good game. Detroit played as well as they could possibly play. If they string together three more like it, they will win. Although, the C's defense was subpar and should improve. I'm encouraged by the Ray Allen sighting!!

Celts will win one in Detroit and the last three games should be great.