[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Playoffs!

budlitebrad

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul/West/Chandler too if West and Chandler get healthy. They're young enough to have a dominant few years down in NO if they all stay together.

Thats true. As good as the Lakers are right now, they could be scary good with Bynum. Utah murdered them on the glass in this series and they still won it in 6, if you throw Bynum out there its probably done in 4 or 5.

So true. There are a couple of "Big Threes" in the NBA right now - Bryant/Odom/Gasol and Duncan/Ginobili/Parker. I don't see any way the Celts win the title, and after the dominant regular season they had, anything short of that should be considered a big dissappointment.

The Boston Big Three consists of KG / KG / KG. If it wasn't for that guy and his will to win, this series would be over by now. Pierce is second rate and Allen has disappeared completely. It will take a gigantic effort by Garnett to see Boston through.

Celtics take it, but other than Pierce, they weren't exactly impressive. It only looked like the Big 1 today.

I'll take the Pistons in 6. Even with Billups back, look for Stuckey to make some noise next week.

That was an awesome game. I'm starting to think Brian Scalbrine killed Ray Allen, put his jersey on and painted himself black. That can only explain his spareness in the playoffs.

The Boston Big Three consists of KG / KG / KG. If it wasn't for that guy and his will to win, this series would be over by now. Pierce is second rate and Allen has disappeared completely. It will take a gigantic effort by Garnett to see Boston through.

That is a clueless statement. I am a bit surprised by it.

Celtics take it, but other than Pierce, they weren't exactly impressive. It only looked like the Big 1 today.

I'll take the Pistons in 6. Even with Billups back, look for Stuckey to make some noise next week.

I thought Garnett came to play even though at times his shot was off...but defensively, he was definitely there..

Pierce made me eat my words tonight but he's no Lebron.

Er....Lebron is one of the top 5 players in the game. I won't argue about who is "the best" because it's too subjective. That doesn't make Pierce "Second Rate".

And indeed in 2 games at the Boston Garden the opportunity to put his team in the position to win with about 12 seconds in the clock was in Lebron's hands, and in both instances he couldn't make the shot. One was a finger roll lay-up. He's great, and will be one of the best ever, but you can't underestimate the level of "clutch" that Pierce has been bringing to the table for a long time.

40+ points makes someone 2nd rate in my book too.

really?

c'mon

2nd rate?

:wacko:

Er....Lebron is one of the top 5 players in the game. I won't argue about who is "the best" because it's too subjective. That doesn't make Pierce "Second Rate".

And indeed in 2 games at the Boston Garden the opportunity to put his team in the position to win with about 12 seconds in the clock was in Lebron's hands, and in both instances he couldn't make the shot. One was a finger roll lay-up. He's great, and will be one of the best ever, but you can't underestimate the level of "clutch" that Pierce has been bringing to the table for a long time.

Pierce was drafted in 1998. This is his 10th season. In that time, the Celtics have made the playoffs 5 times, and missed the playoffs 5 times. Of those 5 playoff appearances, twice they lost in round 1, including being swept by Indiana in round 1 in 2004.

In 2003, they won round 1 and were swept by New Jersey in round 2. In 2002 they did make it to the Eastern Conference finals. Prior to this year, Pierce's Celtics were 16-21 in the playoffs.

Pierce has been Boston's star player for years and carried the burden on some pretty bad teams, but don't you have to perform well in pressure-filled big games (like yesterday vs. Cleveland) to be called "clutch"?

He was certainly "clutch" yesterday but prior to the addition of Garnett, big games involving Paul Pierce have been few and far between.

Edited by KevinL

He was certainly "clutch" yesterday but prior to the addition of Garnett, big games involving Paul Pierce have been few and far between.

This was pretty much the point I was trying to make but over-emphasized. Pierce is clearly not second-rate but he is just one among a bunch of NBA players that are at his level. He was definitely the deciding factor in game 7 with a most excellent display of shooting including some very difficult shots but up until that point it was KG carrying Boston. I still think KG is the differentiator both on the court and off.

It will be very interesting to see if the Celtics can hold home court yet again. I still believe that sooner or later they will absolutely have to win one away to avoid elimination. I'd expect the Pistons to win one in Boston so KG, Pierce et al will have to win one in Detroit.

Edit: And can someone please apply the life support system to Ray Allen? If the Celtics can resurrect him as a three point threat, their passage will be much easier.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Pierce came up huge - he is the only killer they really have IMO- I love KG but he just doesn't have the killer instinct, and he is not a 4th quarter closer - Pierce was sick

Wow, we are watching Ray Allen get old right in front of our eyes - the end comes quickly for 30 something guards- he looks slow, indicisive and OLD.

I can remember watching the dude play at an extremely high level with MIL and SEA - almost unguardable at times..... too bad

again - tough matchup for the C's - Peestons in 6 -

Pierce was drafted in 1998. This is his 10th season. In that time, the Celtics have made the playoffs 5 times, and missed the playoffs 5 times. Of those 5 playoff appearances, twice they lost in round 1, including being swept by Indiana in round 1 in 2004.

In 2003, they won round 1 and were swept by New Jersey in round 2. In 2002 they did make it to the Eastern Conference finals. Prior to this year, Pierce's Celtics were 16-21 in the playoffs.

Pierce has been Boston's star player for years and carried the burden on some pretty bad teams, but don't you have to perform well in pressure-filled big games (like yesterday vs. Cleveland) to be called "clutch"?

:wacko:

Prior to Garnett being on the Celtics, big games involving KG have been few and far between. Do you have another point? I would say that unless you are a Celtics fan and have directly watched Pierce carry this team, pretty much single handedly, for the last 10 years, that you really don't know what you are talking about. Pierce has had nothing around him for talent in his career until this year. I would be shocked if anyone (not a Celtics fan of course) could name more than one player other than Pierce that was on that 2002 team. Vin Baker doesn't get to count...seeing as his name recognition comes from being a wasted talent.

If you are somehow all taken aback because I am calling Pierce clutch and noting how Lebron missed 2 significant opportunities to win games on the road, don't be insulted. While I call Lebron a top 5 player, IMO he is top 2. And he is young. He will have plenty of chances and easily be regarded as one of the best ever barring a career shortening injury.

Paul Pierce is no Lebron James. That is for sure. But Lebron hasn't even sniffed the number of times that Celtics teams have looked to Pierce to win a game for them. Give the kid a few years.

This was pretty much the point I was trying to make but over-emphasized. Pierce is clearly not second-rate but he is just one among a bunch of NBA players that are at his level. He was definitely the deciding factor in game 7 with a most excellent display of shooting including some very difficult shots but up until that point it was KG carrying Boston. I still think KG is the differentiator both on the court and off.

It will be very interesting to see if the Celtics can hold home court yet again. I still believe that sooner or later they will absolutely have to win one away to avoid elimination. I'd expect the Pistons to win one in Boston so KG, Pierce et al will have to win one in Detroit.

Edit: And can someone please apply the life support system to Ray Allen? If the Celtics can resurrect him as a three point threat, their passage will be much easier.

I :heart: KG, but he is a different kind of player. He's a dominate a game kind of player, but not a last shot "dagger in the heart of the other team" kind of player. Pierce always has been. He's the guy I want taking the last shot.

I :heart: KG, but he is a different kind of player. He's a dominate a game kind of player, but not a last shot "dagger in the heart of the other team" kind of player. Pierce always has been. He's the guy I want taking the last shot.

Agreed as far as clutch winning goes. I watched KG many many times - he is spectacular, has boundless energy, willpower and drive / desire / work ethic, is a top three defender, outstanding rebounder and all round athlete but he isn't that vital buzzer beater. Well, he did beat a few buzzers in his decade in Minnesota.

Dunno if this is generally known about KG but he went 5 seasons in a row with season averages of 20 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists. No-one in the history of the game has ever done that. Indeed IIRC only two players have ever gone three seasons with that record. That's a complete all round game and all this on a mediocre team (except for one glorious year). You might want Pierce to make the last shot but if you need someone to be the engine driver, look no further than #5. His arrival has completely revamped the Celtic attitude and taken them to a whole new level.

I agree. However, odds are Pierce will be set up for that last shot off a KG block, rebound, or screen.

Agreed as far as clutch winning goes. I watched KG many many times - he is spectacular, has boundless energy, willpower and drive / desire / work ethic, is a top three defender, outstanding rebounder and all round athlete but he isn't that vital buzzer beater. Well, he did beat a few buzzers in his decade in Minnesota.

Dunno if this is generally known about KG but he went 5 seasons in a row with season averages of 20 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists. No-one in the history of the game has ever done that. Indeed IIRC only two players have ever gone three seasons with that record. That's a complete all round game and all this on a mediocre team (except for one glorious year). You might want Pierce to make the last shot but if you need someone to be the engine driver, look no further than #5. His arrival has completely revamped the Celtic attitude and taken them to a whole new level.

I am not trying to take anything away from KG. He's one of the greatest players ever to suit up.

The fact is that neither player would be where they are without the other. KG is a better 48 minute player to be sure. Pierce just has the ability to nail that killer shot. KG has it too, but it come out less often.

The fact is that neither player would be where they are without the other.

Exactemundo.

Edit: I don't mean to drone on about KG but having watched him try to turn our piss poor franchise into a winner for over a decade while management went from one monstrous f**k up to the next and never complain once plus I've met him in person and he couldn't be a nicer guy, I'm really rooting for him to get an NBA ring.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Spurs advance.

While I'm a Lakers homer and it seems logical to pick Los Angeles here, I'm taking the Spurs in 7. They are absolutely tough as nails. Its crazy how consistently incredible they are. Kobe's back needs to be close to 100% for the Lakers to win this series. Odom and Gasol are not going to abuse the SAS defense like they did the Jazz D (thanks mostly to the fact that Boozer wears concrete blocks for shoes.)