[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has anyone's favorite sports franchise......

Seahawks21

I was a tad upset when my favorite NBA team was taken away. But what can you do?

:wacko:

Bitch about it?

41 years in Seattle. Only the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York (baseball) Giants, Washington Senators, St. Louis Browns, and Los Angeles Rams have been in their cities longer before moving.

This ain't your Kansas City Kings. The Sonics won an NBA title in 1979. Made two other finals appearances, and four other Western Conference finals appearances. Despite winning 20 games last year and having the 2nd worst record in the NBA, they still had better attendance than Memphis and Indiana, and had a higher percentage of their building full than six other teams. And that's with notification at the beginning of the season that ownership intended this to be the last one in Seattle.

In 2006-07, when ownership was threatening to leave by the end of the season after having their DEMAND of $500,000,000 of public dollars be GIVEN to them to build a new venue without putting up ANYTHING in return, and despite fielding the most selfish squad of players who statistically played the worst defense in NBA history that could muster 31 wins, the team ranked 15th in attendance in the league.

The NBA thinks that the smallest population center outside of Green Bay, Wisconsin is better suited to their product than the 12th largest metropolitan area in the country. You have a cluster of teams in OKC, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Memphis, and New Orleans. And only one in the box you create if you draw a line from Minneapolis to OKC and through Denver, SLC, and San Francisco. Does that make sense? Does anyone see how this is going to work? Just because they capitulated on public financing?

Whatever. There are a lot more lasting memories than MJ and his gambling habits and inability to walk away from the game taking a softball diss shot of Gary Payton at a press conference. Payton was a Hall of Fame player. Shawn Kemp was as exciting a player as there was in the game during the early to mid 90s. Xavier McDaniel was a pure out and out thug (on the court, not off of it) who epitomized heart and was a folk hero here during the 1980s. Fred Brown, Gus Williams, Lenny Wilkins are all people who I've admired and worshiped since I could remember.

I don't feel the affinity for the big business of the NBA anymore. Maybe I'm just getting older and it's not the same hero worship mentality that I had in years gone by. I don't like watching pro basketball, I don't feel like following the players. The league is a half-step up from the WWE in the way it markets itself as an entertainment venture played by freaks of nature for gawking mixes of douchebags with way too much disposable income and numbskulls with no sense of priority as to where to spend their disposable income.

Mostly, I feel like I'm finally getting divorce papers from a spouse that I haven't lived with for awhile who also says she's a lesbian. No matter how I feel about things from an increasingly distant past, there's nothing I can do to about making it last into the future.

Good riddance Sonics. Good riddance NBA. Good luck OKC. I hope you can make it work. If not, I'm sure some other town will be willing to try once the novelty wears off.

Seattle fans, for some reason, aren't my favorites :wacko: However, this makes me sick, and I really feel for the Sonics fans. There have been scary moments in the past, where it appeared that Pittsburgh might lose the Pirates or Penguins. I can't even imagine how much that would pi$$ me off. It's a damn shame to those Sonics fans. :D

Bitch about it?

41 years in Seattle. Only the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York (baseball) Giants, Washington Senators, St. Louis Browns, and Los Angeles Rams have been in their cities longer before moving.

Add Cleveland Browns, Boston Braves and Philadelphia A's to that list

Seattle fans, for some reason, aren't my favorites :wacko: However, this makes me sick, and I really feel for the Sonics fans. There have been scary moments in the past, where it appeared that Pittsburgh might lose the Pirates or Penguins. I can't even imagine how much that would pi$$ me off. It's a damn shame to those Sonics fans. :D

Imagine if you actually lived in that city :D

Its not about than fans anymore

Its not about than fans anymore

It never has been. Teams have upped and left for decades without giving their fans a second thought. This is one area where the world of soccer has it nailed down - teams can't move and wouldn't want to. Sure, they might shift into a new stadium down the road but they don't set up shop 3,000 miles away.

The whole traveling circus aspect of US sports sucks balls.

• 3 weeks later...
jack.ass.

Wait....the original poster says that Okahoma City is only know for bombings....An act of terrosism in which people I personally knew then and those that I have came to know through the coverage were murdered...and thats ok with you.

But my sarcastic post makes me the jack.ass?

I guess a team moving to a new town ( a better town I might add) is much more tramatic than hundreds of American lives lost and many more drastically changed forever.

To the original poster...grow up and quit crying like a little school girl. The team moved on to a better city because your city did not support them.