[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone know anything about Central Air Units?

Guest Chappy

That would suck to have that kind. How do pros clean those?

You have to cut it and make a front door, which is basically a piece of sheetmetal with a 1" tab on each side. After you clean the coil you just put that door back on with sheetmetal screws.

Edited by Chief Dick

You have to cut it and make a front door, which is basically a piece of sheetmetal with a 1" tab on each side. After you clean the coil you just put that door back on with sheetmetal screws.

:D That goes against all logic, why would a manufacturer make something that has to be altered like that? :wacko:

Dude forget all that other stuff. you put freon in it last year. what you want to know is how much leaked out.

If its empty, you have a big problem money wise. This means you have a large leak and most likely your recharge wont last thru the summer season. If its just low or half charged than what I would do is get it charged and go buy me some guages and get me a freon certificate and do it yourself. every year. you dont have to be licensed to work on your own stuff.

A/c guys are more crooked than the automotive business.

Edited by moneymakers

My line froze over a few years after I had central air installed.

The cause was the filter was clogged up with dust. Cold air was backing up behind the filter, and freezing the line. I shut it down, went down in the crawl space and cleaned the filter, gave it a day to thaw out, and then fired it back up. Haven't had a problem since.

Before you get all crazy with the freon, just make sure your filter is cleaned off. They recommend doing it every month... I actually do it 3-4 times a year. It vastly improves the efficiency of the system.

Guest Chappy
My line froze over a few years after I had central air installed.

The cause was the filter was clogged up with dust. Cold air was backing up behind the filter, and freezing the line. I shut it down, went down in the crawl space and cleaned the filter, gave it a day to thaw out, and then fired it back up. Haven't had a problem since.

Before you get all crazy with the freon, just make sure your filter is cleaned off. They recommend doing it every month... I actually do it 3-4 times a year. It vastly improves the efficiency of the system.

Great idea. I just went down and checked the filter and it wasn't filthy but it wasn't completely clean either. So, I changed it and will attempt to fire it up later. Thanks.

I thought the ozone had cured itself? Can't we make freon legal again???

One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on her head

"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

Guest Chappy
One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on her head

"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

Just read that book to my kids last night. Chicken licken, Foxy Loxy, Ducky Lucky, etc. Good stuff.

Guest Chappy

AC guy came today (couldn't make it yesterday) and it turned out that I had a leak right at the valve where you connect the lines to add freon. He did a quick fix on that, added freon and all is well. Total cost $180. I thought it was a pretty fair deal.

Thanks again to the huddlers who provided some useful feedback.

AC guy came today (couldn't make it yesterday) and it turned out that I had a leak right at the valve where you connect the lines to add freon. He did a quick fix on that, added freon and all is well. Total cost $180. I thought it was a pretty fair deal.

Thanks again to the huddlers who provided some useful feedback.

Best case scenario right there.