[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer draft discussion.

Randall

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Bay - Trader (Down) Ted Thompson has done it again.

The Packers traded the 30th overall pick to the Jets. The Packers will pick 36th overall -- the fifth pick of the second round. They also pick up No. 113 in the fourth round.

They move down 7 spots and pick up a pick in the 4th. Sounds good.

The Packers now have the following picks:

Second round

36th

56th

60th

Third round

91st

Fourth round

Fifth round

Seventh round

Edited by Randall

Guest Chappy
Flowers, Jenkins and Cason are still available. :wacko:

Spoke too soon but Flowers is there and they are up.

And there goes Flowers right before their pick.

Jordy Nelson? I'm not saying it's a bad pick as I don't know much about the kid and Kiper said it's a good fit. However, what's going on with the other more well-known WRs- D. Jackson, Sweed, M. Kelly, Manningham, Doucet, Hardy, etc?

Edited by Chappy

Jordy Nelson

6-2.5, 217 pounds; Had a 40-yard time of 4.5 seconds.

Will turn 23 on May 31st;

Former walk on who was originally a strong safety after being a QB in high school;

Has played receiver for only three years;

Finished second nationally last season in receptions (122) and yards (1,606);

The Packers were not among the teams to show a lot of interest in him before the draft. Those teams were: Washington, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Carolina and the Chiefs;

Really opened eyes at the Senior Bowl;

Has a frame that could carry another 15 pounds, so perhaps he could be an H-back in the Packers' offense;

Had at least 10 receptions in six games last season.

Maybe Ted's alternative to another TE.

Pretty good hands.

What better vote of confidence than to draft a quarterback in the second...

Ahhhhhh PISS

Yea but our backup QB is better than the Vikings starter. :wacko:

He may not like Rodgers as well as we thought.

Yea but our backup QB is better than the Vikings starter. :wacko:

He may not like Rodgers as well as we thought.

Maybe the concern is whether or not Rodgers can stay healthy versus a lack of confidence in his ability.

Besides, to take your first comment a step further, its not a stretch to make the argument the Packers have the two best quarterbacks in their division.

I actually like the pick.

I like the Brohm pick. Rodgers has the talent to succeed and he shown he can do it in limited time. But we haven't seen if his body can stand up to the rigors of a full NFL season. Brohm is a great insurance policy and would mesh well with the Packers' West Coast system.

Nelson=Driver's eventual successor as move-the-chains possession receiver, which is key in the Packers' system.

Lee...just don't see him as anything more than secondary depth and a good special teams player. Not happy Thompson didn't draft a viable successor to either Woodson or Harris.

I like the Brohm pick. Rodgers has the talent to succeed and he shown he can do it in limited time. But we haven't seen if his body can stand up to the rigors of a full NFL season. Brohm is a great insurance policy and would mesh well with the Packers' West Coast system.

Nelson=Driver's eventual successor as move-the-chains possession receiver, which is key in the Packers' system.

Lee...just don't see him as anything more than secondary depth and a good special teams player. Not happy Thompson didn't draft a viable successor to either Woodson or Harris.

Completely disagree here. He's a physical bump and run DB, which is what our system calls for. He played at a high level in a major conference as well. I believe he'll step in from day one as the Nickel and hopefully become the eventual replacement for Woody or Harris.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Completely disagree here. He's a physical bump and run DB, which is what our system calls for. He played at a high level in a major conference as well. I believe he'll step in from day one as the Nickel and hopefully become the eventual replacement for Woody or Harris.

Hope you are right! I agree that he can step right in to the nickel package. I'm just not sold right now on Lee's ability to be a shutdown corner in the NFL, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

hbtc makes yet another insightful post...

Saying GB's QB's are better than Tarvaris, Rex and Kitna is insightful? Cowboy's fans get alot of grief about wearing the homer goggles but I gotta tell ya, Packer fans around here are starting to make me wonder.

Rodgers is expected to jump in as the starter this year, no problem. He has 59 pass attempts in his career with 1 td and took 9 sacks. He looked good against Dallas for part of a game last year (that he did'nt win), yeah, he'll be fine.

Grant looked good last year but the fact is he has'nt logged 200 carries yet in his career. IIRC, he basically played 2 months last season. He'll hold up for a full season , no problem.

If I was a Packer fan , I'd be worried, yet all I read around here is how great they'll be this year.

OBTW, last time I checked TT (aka God) isn't wearing any rings on his fingers.

OBTW, last time I checked TT (aka God) isn't wearing any rings on his fingers.

Ted Thompson took over a team in shambles... 4-12 to 8-8 to 14-4

Ted Thompson's team won more playoff games this year than the cowboys have in over 4,000 days.

That's right, keep on talking about your team from 12-13 years ago. :wacko: