[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got back from Ironman

TimC

one thing i didn't get was the gwyneth paltrow casting. she seemed wooden and lifeless.

That surprises me. She's a helluva good actress.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumors that Matthew McConaughey is going to play Steve Rogers in Captain America...

:wacko:

I wouldn't mind that...

and as was previously stated...it could be worse...

I mean..people hated Ledger being cast for Joker and I thought it was genius...

see it before making this extraordinary assumption...

I hope so...but to me, it looked cheesy as all. The thing that made IronMan rise above the competition was a better-than-average storyline (once you look past that he built the power source and suit in a cave, but whatevah). I think Incredible Hulk story has no surprises. We'll see though.

The problem that I have with it (which I had heard they were going to fix, but obviously didn't) was that the CGI for the Hulk himself looks terrible IMO. It's live action mixed with a cartoon. You might as well be watching Roger Rabbit. If they could have just found a way to make the Hulk look like a realistic figure, then I would be all over it.

i know that they keep rendering the movie right up until the release and many times the trailers do not have the final version of the CGI. since i refuse to watch trailers, i have not seen it yet. from what i've heard, this movie does the 2 things that the other one failed to do. first, ed norton is more like bill bixby vs. an ang lee abused sicko and second, hulk smashes some serious chit.

Finally made it to Ironman last night. Wow! It is one of the truest to the comic book and best superhero movies I've ever seen. Marvel should have bought their own studio years ago. I am definitely going to their remake of the Hulk after seeing Ironman. I am also :wacko: to hear they plan to do Captain America and Thor.

The thing that jumps out to me about Marvel producing their own movies is the casting. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect as Tony Stark. As already stated, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is a homerun. Norton is going to portray the nerdy, picked on Bruce Banner from the comic books better than any actor before. McConaughey could aslo be suprisingly good in the role of Captain America. It is very obvious to me that the Marvel Studio is seeking Stan Lee's input on the casting because they are nailing it.

As for the side conversations in the thread, my wife has been eagerly awaiting the new Indiana Jones movie since she heard they were making it. She saw the preview last night and was so disappointed that she doesn't even want to go now. :D We also saw the new Batman trailer. Meh.

uh oh. In reference to our Indy conversations, the movie may not be so great....

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/36667

It should still have a huge opening weekend, but if it's not very good, it'll hurt the film's legs and total gross.

that review sounds about like what i would expect and what i stated earlier in this thread. corny action that falls way short of how far action movies have come over the past 18 years and harrison too old to believe or care about. this is going down big time.

i've also heard some discouraging things about the hulk, namely that norton and the movies producers were at odds about many things and as a result, he is not doing any publicity for the movie. not sure if this is true or not ...

I hope so...but to me, it looked cheesy as all. The thing that made IronMan rise above the competition was a better-than-average storyline (once you look past that he built the power source and suit in a cave, but whatevah). I think Incredible Hulk story has no surprises. We'll see though.

I agree with what you said about how he built that suit...it was my argument elsewhere when others tried saying Iron Man was better than Batman Begins....and I pointed out how unrealistic that was...

but the movie was still above entertaining...

The Incredible Hulk should entertain as well as it has a stronger cast than the previous version and a better director...

I do however think people are over-hyping Iron Man....even though it is my 2nd favorite comic book movie ever....but it is about to be my 3rd in another 2 months..

that review sounds about like what i would expect and what i stated earlier in this thread. corny action that falls way short of how far action movies have come over the past 18 years and harrison too old to believe or care about. this is going down big time.

i've also heard some discouraging things about the hulk, namely that norton and the movies producers were at odds about many things and as a result, he is not doing any publicity for the movie. not sure if this is true or not ...

that's half true....half exaggerated...

he directed the movie I think...or had a strong hand in it and wanted more of the backstory included in the movie and they took some of that out in favor of more "HULK SMASH"......

in the end, Norton said he's still happy with the result..but he wished that they did it the way he wanted to do it...

but he still had a strong hand in the direction of this movie which is enough for me to go see it...

I agree with what you said about how he built that suit...it was my argument elsewhere when others tried saying Iron Man was better than Batman Begins....and I pointed out how unrealistic that was...

Iron Man was better than Batman Begins, IMO.

If you're going to tear Iron Man apart because Tony Stark made the first suit in a cave, you'd best take a better look at Batman Begins. The storyline completely falls apart when they introduce the toxin through the city's water system. A water system is pressurized, and the lackey pouring the toxin from a bucket into the water system through a broken pipe is simply not possible. That pipe would have looked like a geyser. Additionally, there are no manholes on a water system, so the exploding manholes as they vaporized the toxin in the water are also impossible. One would think that the movie studio could hire a consulting engineer somewhere in the multi-million dollar movie budget. Heck, I would've told them for free with a simple phone call.

The thing that made IronMan rise above the competition was a better-than-average storyline (once you look past that he built the power source and suit in a cave, but whatevah).

he was surrounded by a stockpile of nuclear weapons which i'm assuming had all the latest in stark technologies. there was the scene where he was extracting out the minute highly active power source from several of the weapons to combine it into one mega power source. now, could that delicate operation be done in a danky cave? probably not but it didn't really bother me all that much. in fact, it setup the line with bridges and the other scientist where he yelled at him for saying it was impossible ... "tony stark built it in a cave full of scraps!" "well, i'm not tony stark!" that was pretty cool.

Iron Man was better than Batman Begins, IMO.

If you're going to tear Iron Man apart because Tony Stark made the first suit in a cave, you'd best take a better look at Batman Begins. The storyline completely falls apart when they introduce the toxin through the city's water system. A water system is pressurized, and the lackey pouring the toxin from a bucket into the water system through a broken pipe is simply not possible. That pipe would have looked like a geyser. Additionally, there are no manholes on a water system, so the exploding manholes as they vaporized the toxin in the water are also impossible. One would think that the movie studio could hire a consulting engineer somewhere in the multi-million dollar movie budget. Heck, I would've told them for free with a simple phone call.

it was more realistic than making some cutting edge technology inside a cave with scraps...

and I'm not picking it apart....I mentioned one instance that bothered me...

people seem to be saying Iron Man is better just to be trendy...

it was more realistic than making some cutting edge technology inside a cave with scraps...

People were raving about Batman Begins in much the similar way. It may be trendy to praise Iron Man, but I believe it's because it's a very good movie similar to Batman. Neither are perfect movies, but I personally enjoyed the lighter tone of Iron Man over Batman's darker material. That said, both are very strong entries into the superhero movie genre and I cannot wait to see The Dark Knight.

Edited by TDFFFreak

People were raving about Batman Begins in much the similar way. It may be trendy to praise Iron Man, but I believe it's because it's a very good movie similar to Batman. Neither are perfect movies, but I personally enjoyed the lighter tone of Iron Man over Batman's darker material. That said, both are very strong entries into the superhero movie genre and I cannot wait to see The Dark Knight.

Will defer to the comic book nerds :D here, but wouldn't the difference in the two movies' respective tones have to do with how the comic books were written/drawn? :wacko:

Just a fun fact...

Robert Downey Jr. is credited on IMDB...

...In the Incredible Hulk - as Tony Stark.

:wacko:

yuup...there are going to be some serious crossover's going on...

apparently Spider-Man 4 will have plenty of this...unfortunately I forget what the quote is, but it insinuated this in the next Spider-Man movie as well..

I feel the same way....except I like the Batman movie a little more...

both movies are similar with how you got to see the character before the mask and the process of making the outfit etc...

just like Batman Begins, Iron Man had it's 1st movie with a very good story line.....but also, the sequel shouldn't take much to top it because all the explaining is done..as well as the character build-up...ala War Machine..etc..

The toxin in the city's water system in Batman Begins is 100% impossible. Tony Stark building his first suit in a cave from spare parts is highly improbable.

Similar to you, it is one instance with Batman Begins that bothered me. Unfortunately, it really, really bothered me since I work in that industry every day.

I'm saying Iron Man is better because I like it more.

The toxin in the city's water system in Batman Begins is 100% impossible. Tony Stark building his first suit in a cave from spare parts is impossible.

Similar to you, it is one instance with Batman Begins that bothered me. Unfortunately, it really, really bothered me since I work in that industry every day.

I'm saying Iron Man is better because I like it more.

fixed...

and yeah, I didn't say it was possible...but they made me believe it was due to presentation...

what Tony Stark built in that cave almost made me roll my eyes if it weren't for the fact that I was enjoying the movie...

it IS comic book adaption and compared to the other comic book movies...Iron Man kills them all...

but make no mistake...there is no way he could have made this cutting edge technology in a cave with scraps....but it was great for the storyline to see that the one scientist (or engineer or whatever) couldn't duplicate it...

this thread has turned into an Iron Man vs Batman pissing contest and I've even seen it in other forums where people feel the need to compare the two because of the stark similarities in how the character came to light....even though the storylines are nothing alike..

this thread has turned into an Iron Man vs Batman pissing contest and I've even seen it in other forums where people feel the need to compare the two because of the stark similarities in how the character came to light....even though the storylines are nothing alike..

There are a lot of comparisons between the two movies, but I'm not trying to turn it into a pissing match. People pointed out one of Iron Man's weaknesses was the "questionable technology". To be fair, I wanted to point out that Batman Begins also had the same problem (although much larger IMO because of what I do for a living).