[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My little girl.....

rocknrobn26

As some you may know, rr juniorette loves to travel and she travels a lot! After talking her out of joining the Peace Corps and coming back home, after working @ Target Corp for 2.5 years, to get her MA and teaching credentials she has traveled to Central America, South America, the Carribean, Europe (several times), but this week she is going on a 4.5 week trip to Asia! Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, and one other country that skips my mind. She is going w/ a friend, no tour, they are just going. Of course this worries Mrs. rr and myself. :wacko:

So I am looking for tips to give her from any of you that traveled to those countries. I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA

rr26

ETA:

Laos is the forth country.

Edited by rocknrobn26

SInce it has been a whole lot of years since I was in those countries... am not going to be much help. And since I know that she has heard a word you have said since she turned two me saying tell her not to go isn't going to be much help either.

I suppose there is some kind of legal thing that stops you from locking her in her apartment for the next five to six years huh?

SInce it has been a whole lot of years since I was in those countries... am not going to be much help. And since I know that she has heard a word you have said since she turned two me saying tell her not to go isn't going to be much help either.

I suppose there is some kind of legal thing that stops you from locking her in her apartment for the next five to six years huh?

*sigh* She's to old for that! :D I never should have convinced the roller-coaster guy to let her on the ride when she was 5 and too short. Dam...my bad and she's been a thrill seeker since! :wacko:

As far as the shots go, she says they are optional and isn't taking them! :D On the water thingee, her friend supposedly has something! :D

Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Someone please protect my baby! :D

RR , will say a prayer for her and her friends she is travelling with so the Lord may keep her safe

hang in there and try not to worry too much ..she sounds very smart and like she has a good head on her shoulders

Keep the Faith

I don't have any info for you RR but I did want to commend your daughter for being a member of the Peace Corps. She is obviously an honorable young lady and a chip off the 'ol block.

RR , will say a prayer for her and her friends she is travelling with so the Lord may keep her safe

hang in there and try not to worry too much ..she sounds very smart and like she has a good head on her shoulders

Keep the Faith

This is the best I can do also. Lived in northern Thailand for nine months but I don't think asny advice I have would be suitable. You did a great job raising her. Trust in that.

Make sure that she does not EVER travel alone in those Asian countries. Kidnapping Americans is still a lucrative business and its not just a Central American problem that most think it is. Cudo's to her for being a Peace Corp member. Those men and women never get enough respect or acclamations.

I have been in Belize, Hondurus, and Panama, for two to three weeks at a time with the military. I'm not sure of her accomodations but she should stay with her group. The natives are very, very friendly and, obviously, love Americans because we are "rich". She should becareful about exchanging personal information. There was a kid in Panama that kept trying to contact me for a soccer jersey. I ended up sending a set of uniforms back but it was a pain to shake this kid. :D

Be careful about her money. She has to try to get a basic concept of the exchange rates because she will likely never receive change in American money...but they be happy to take it.

Get all the vaccines before she goes. Get her an international calling card. :wacko:

I will post more as I think of it.

Edited by SuperBalla

I'm sorry I misled some of you...she is NOT in the Peace Corps. She wanted to join, for the travel aspect, but we talked her out of it, explaining that if she wanted to become a teacher and got her MA early, she'd have plenty of ops to travel by not having to use her summers for an advanced degree.

Thanks for the suggs, thoughts and prayers! I'll relay them to her. Anything else? :wacko:

Thanks for the suggs, thoughts and prayers! I'll relay them to her. Anything else? :wacko:

My buddy travels all over the world for work and has been in some very remote places. His biggest recommendation besides vaccinations and water filtering equip is a top of the line world phone w/gps and best antenna possible, plus a laptop w/same services. (world power adapters too) You don't want to be stuck somewhere w/o communication of some sort.

Leave you with a copy of every important document in her life (passport, birth certificate, driver's license credit cards, etc.). And remember to copy both sides of everything, not just the front. Even though it sounds like she is trying to do this on the fly, instead of with an itinerary, have her try as much as possible to leave a paper trail of everyplace she is visiting (have her use credit cards as much as possible). Agree that she should check in with the US Embassy in each country (even if its just a quick call to say, I'm here for x amount of days). You could help her by looking up and providing her with the various Embassy addresses and phone numbers. And then, simply have her call you as often as she is willing. :wacko:

Good luck... I'll pray for her safety.

Leave you with a copy of every important document in her life (passport, birth certificate, driver's license credit cards, etc.). And remember to copy both sides of everything, not just the front. Even though it sounds like she is trying to do this on the fly, instead of with an itinerary, have her try as much as possible to leave a paper trail of everyplace she is visiting (have her use credit cards as much as possible). Agree that she should check in with the US Embassy in each country (even if its just a quick call to say, I'm here for x amount of days). You could help her by looking up and providing her with the various Embassy addresses and phone numbers. And then, simply have her call you as often as she is willing. :wacko:

Good luck... I'll pray for her safety.

I would be willing to bet the Embassies have info on locations to avoid as well.

Nothing to add pertaining to your question, but this part of the world is one where I have absolutely ZERO interest in visiting. There and the Middle East ('cept maybe Dubai).

Good luck. As someone said before me, trust that you raised her right. I'm thinking you probably did.

I would be willing to bet the Embassies have info on locations to avoid as well.

Sounds like she might be the type to take that as a dare. :D

Do you know my daughter??? :wacko: As I said she is a thrill seeker, very independent, and bull headed like her dad. :D Admittedly she is very travel savvy.

Thanks again for all the info, prayers and best wishes. :D Here's how it went today:

1) I got the "Wrong again dad!" when I thought she was leaving this week. She is leaving next week!

2) She said she thought her travel companion had a phone that would work over there. Grrrrr..... :D I said you have to get one. So when the wife drove her home today, we bought her one that will work over there. The Mrs. will give me the details when she gets home.

3) When I mentioned the 'contact the Embassy' thingee, she rolled her eyes and said "DAAAAAAD!!!!" But I told her I'd do the research and get her the phone #'s for each country. She still balked but agreed. We'll see.......

4) Her traveling partner's father has traveled there before, so they have some pointers, but he stayed in hotels and they are staying in guest houses and hotels if necessary. :slap: She also is bringing some water purifier she got from her dad.

5) I mentioned the shots and she said NO! They will make you sick and most of the stuff you can get is bacterias so the shots are useless. I conceded that one. :D

6) CL mentioned the laptop. Ain't gonna happen, they pretty much back-pack. BUT she WILL have the phone! Read above.

7) I told her to CC everything, she said she'll use her debit card. I think that's the same paper trail. And as your sugg, I will get her the phone #'s. She is packing a copy of all of her credentials and will leave one copy in her apartment, which we have access to. Thanks for that advice, savage! :D I asked her to mail me a copy, but I got another "DAAAAAAAD!".

8) Post pictures......NOT!!!! :smash: W/ you letches??? Take my word for it.....she's a beautiful, intelligent, goal oriented woman. She'd be a great catch, but you gotta catch her first! :pokey:

Lastly..............As I have said many times before.............THIS PLACE IS THE GREATEST!!!!! Please keep the prayers and best thoughts/wishes coming. The next weeks will have Mrs. rr and me on pins and needles so we will appreciate them.

When she left today, I had a tear in my eye. She caught it and asked what was wrong? I said "Be Careful....Be Safe!" and gave her a big hug. She got a tear also and said "I love you!".

THANK YOU ALL soooooo much!!! If for nothing else allowing me to rant, ask advice, brag a little, and anything else I forgot.

If anything else pops into your head(s), let me know.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I imagine you've raised an incredibly smart daughter who you are very proud of. You can't protect her from everything forever (says the the guy with the 2 year old daughter). Just let her go, as you have no control over her now and probably trust that she will always use her head.

She'll love you for your trust in her.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I read the original post on this several dyas ago and have been pondering over it. I cannot imagine my daughter doing this. Being burned alive, eaten by a white shark, having my body wull apart by gravity waves and ending up on the accretion disk of a supermassive vblack hole, all of these things I can imagine. Really, I have an incredible imagination but I cannot visualize this.

carry on.

8) Post pictures......NOT!!!! :wacko: W/ you letches??? Take my word for it.....she's a beautiful, intelligent, goal oriented woman. She'd be a great catch, but you gotta catch her first! :D

That's another thing... if she can get internet access have her regularly post pictures from the places she is visiting.... Then you can share with us. :D