[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's illegal

detlef

To run a house with women in each room where guys voluntarily enter and pay them money for sex.

For me to sell food and drink to a table of people in a private dining room having a poker game with their own money.

So, why in the hell isn't it illegal for someone to set up a computer to call me at my business to try and sell me a freaking loan?! :wacko:

Now, I'm not saying that cold-calling should be against the law. Though you wouldn't find me shedding a tear if it was. Rather that, if you want to cold call me, pay a person to do it. That way, if you have some product that basically nobody wants, then the market will drive you out of business because the cost of paying somebody to sit there and deal with annoyed people will overcome the money you make when you sell the product.

However, the way it is now, you can afford to have less and less people bite because it doesn't cost you jack to call each and every business looking for a customer. Then, they just have to pay someone to close the people who seem interested. At this rate, every half-baked useless product known to man is going to be shoved down everyone's throat.

In general, I'm not one to have the government running around telling people what they can and can't do. However, marketing in this manner doesn't offer a single thing to society at large. If I want a freaking loan, I'll go get a freaking loan! I don't need some f'ing computer calling me in the middle of lunch to tell me that I can leverage all my credit card sales for fast cash.

This is in stark contrast to the illegal things I mentioned above. If you're selling sex, and somebody wants to pay for it, you've provided him with a service he wanted. If some guys want to enjoy restaurant service while they play a game of poker, I'd be providing them something they wanted. Yet these customers are being "protected" from something that they're seeking out.

And yes, I signed up for the no-call list. Though I was told it was only for residential numbers, it has cut down somewhat. I was literally getting like 3-5 a day and now only get that many per week. None the less, it really shouldn't be my problem to actively tell people that I don't want what they're selling, especially if they're barraging me with computers.

Edited by detlef

Caller ID is a wonderful thing. Unless I actively recognize a phone number AND want to speak to that person, I simply ignore the call or divert it to voice mail. Some businesses have set their phone systems up to block their company name. I don't answer these calls and also automatically delete any voice mail too - if you want to hide your ID, I don't need to do business with you.

Caller ID is a wonderful thing. Unless I actively recognize a phone number AND want to speak to that person, I simply ignore the call or divert it to voice mail. Some businesses have set their phone systems up to block their company name. I don't answer these calls and also automatically delete any voice mail too - if you want to hide your ID, I don't need to do business with you.

That's fine for home but, for obvious reasons, it's not in my best interest to avoid answering the phone at the restaurant. You could be calling from a business that doesn't identify yourself but calling because you want to book a party or pick up some food, so I need to get that call. I get tons of calls from blocked numbers that are people looking to give me business.

Side note, but Ticketmaster charging you $1.50 to print YOUR tickets on YOUR printer with YOUR ink and YOUR paper always gives me a laugh.

I wouldn't refer to the effect that Ticketmaster's fees inspire in me as "laughing"

That's fine for home but, for obvious reasons, it's not in my best interest to avoid answering the phone at the restaurant. You could be calling from a business that doesn't identify yourself but calling because you want to book a party or pick up some food, so I need to get that call. I get tons of calls from blocked numbers that are people looking to give me business.

I do what I said at my office at work as well as at home but I do see how your circumstance is a lot different. All my callers at work want to sell me something I already have.

and those mortgage deals are spectacular!!!

Bah, you can keep the mortgage. I want golf balls that "should be illegal" 'cause they're rendering most golf courses obsolete. That's what I'm looking for.

My answering machine has the sound of a fax/modem trying to handshake. You know, the squeal and garbled sounds? Messes with the computers. They think they got a fax number and delete it from the call list.

I wouldn't refer to the effect that Ticketmaster's fees inspire in me as "laughing"

I laugh because some morans pay it as opposed to paying nothing for TM to mail the tix to you. Odd, because the mail really does cost TM money whereas printing to a customer's own printer costs nothing, yet they charge vice versa. Weird.

i love the solicitations on the fax machine

I try and stay on top of those by calling the removal number as soon as the fax comes in. It helps a little, but I'll get the same type fax with a different removal number the next day. It's a scam. And then when you call the number, they have to repeat the instructions in some filthy foreign language.

My comcast phone automatically rejects calls that have their caller ID blocked.

And I think fax spam actually is illegal in most states.