[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Car isn't Cool

SheikYerbuti

So yesterday the a/c was working just fine. Got in to drive to work today, and it's blowing sauna hot air at me. Any clues as to what's wrong? And how much is this going to cost me? BTW, it's a 2003 Corolla.

TIA

Do what now?

Take it somewhere and have a shop look at it. If you're not car savvy you don't want to start messing with the a/c system. If you know where the a/c compressor is, the center of the pulley should spin when the a/c kicks on. That's the clutch engaging. If it's doing this and there is still no cold air, you'll need to check the pressure on the low pressure line and make sure there's plenty of freon/r-34. I don't suggest doing this yourself since it's easy to overfill and really mess things up. I doubt this is the problem since it worked fine yesterday. They usually leak slow and gradual.

The problem could be as simple as the a/c clutch going bad. If it's the compressor...get ready to shell out a grand.

So yesterday the a/c was working just fine. Got in to drive to work today, and it's blowing sauna hot air at me. Any clues as to what's wrong? And how much is this going to cost me? BTW, it's a 2003 Corolla.

TIA

go back in time. a time machine is pretty pricey. I have a corolla. my ac has never broken. why can't you take care of your shcit?

It's really hard to explain something when your avi is molesting her boobies.

So, so far in order of $$ we have:

1. A bucket of ice ($)

2. a/c clutch ($$)

3. Compressor ($$$$$$$$$)

4. Time machine ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Find you a Corolla forum and research. I bet it's as simple as a relay or clutch but I know jack about Toyota.

Funny, I was just doing that. . .so far I found this

http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/.../Posts/fid/5214

There seems to be a consensus on the relay switch (is that a big deal?) being the problem. Man I know jack about cars. . .

What did you find out?

That the place I took it to said "Come back Monday morning, we can't get you in today". I've also found out that I need to pray that it's a wiring problem or the relay switch or I'm going to be out some serious coin.

Driving today sucked.

That the place I took it to said "Come back Monday morning, we can't get you in today". I've also found out that I need to pray that it's a wiring problem or the relay switch or I'm going to be out some serious coin.

Driving today sucked.

I would be very surprised if it's a compressor problem. Sounds to me like it's the clutch or relay. Let us know what you find out.

Jiffy Lube can fill it up with freon with no appointment. I've done that a few times. Not much to screw up. They may have to add an adapter (I forget which year was the cut-off) for the new freon hook-ups. Under 100 bucks, I believe. If the air is still blowing out the vents...just warm air...then it's likely low a pound or so on freon. Remember, it's worth killing the environment to stay cool. I used to club baby seals on the golf course because it was a tad humid and the beer biatch was running late.

2003 Corolla.

And :wacko:

Edited by TimC

Jiffy Lube can fill it up with freon with no appointment. I've done that a few times. Not much to screw up. They may have to add an adapter (I forget which year was the cut-off) for the new freon hook-ups. Under 100 bucks, I believe. If the air is still blowing out the vents...just warm air...then it's likely low a pound or so on freon. Remember, it's worth killing the environment to stay cool. I used to club baby seals on the golf course because it was a tad humid and the beer biatch was running late.

And :wacko:

So the Shiekette says "Is TimC laughing at my car?"

I said "Yes, he is. He's a 'vette guy and he's adamant about it"

She says "Well, I don't have a penis inadequacy thing going on, so he can make all the fun he wants"

:D

Tell Mrs. Sheiky I'll give her a ride in Da Vette with the top down. Ask her if she likes it when I take my top off. :wacko:

She said she's mildly interested.

Anyway, brought it in this morning and told the guy (who, by the way, was an intellectual genous) that it was most likely the relay. He gave me the "yeah, they always read stuff on the innernets and act like they know what they're talking about" face.

An hour later the grease monkey calls me and says "Looks like it's just the relay. . I'll get the part and it should be about $100".

Sweet.

2 hours later he calls back. . ."Yup, it was just the relay, so I replaced it, ran an electical diagnostic, plus labor, plus shop fee, plus labor fee, plus shop labor fee, plus tax. . .that'll be $250. You can come pick it up whenever!"

Thanks bro. :D

She said she's mildly interested.

Thanks bro. :D

Tee-hee...a girl is interested in me. My Mom always said this day would come!! What should I wear besides pants?

Relay....it was only 50 bucks in freon. He ripped you off. Go back and tell him yer innernet buddy said so. :wacko:

Tee-hee...a girl is interested in me. My Mom always said this day would come!! What should I wear besides pants?

Relay....it was only 50 bucks in freon. He ripped you off. Go back and tell him yer innernet buddy said so. :D

The Shiekette says "His best bet is to wear everything but the pants. . .they'll only slow me down."

Maybe I need to get me a Vette??

:wacko:

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Sheik...I just looked up the cost of your relay and it's $49.99. They say the relay is in the fuse box. Probably a 5 minute job tops.

If it happens again...do it yourself and save the money.

If your intent was to make a grown man cry. . .well. . .*sniffle*

The Shiekette says "His best bet is to wear everything but the pants. . .they'll only slow me down."

Maybe I need to get me a Vette??

:wacko:

I must ask her the same question I would ask any woman...if I were to ever talk to an actual woman. Ask her to rank the following in order of importance in her life:

Hall

Oates

Cold A/C

Gawd, it's almost like talking to a real woman. Soooo very exciting.