[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lynyrd Skynyrd Live

Footballjoe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a terrible plane crash sometime around 1977. In that crash, the southern rock band that I remember as Lynyrd Skynyrd sadly was no more.

I don't mean to be a dlk, although it works out that way sometimes. This current band calling itself Lynyrd Skynyrd is like Julian Lennon putting together a band and call it The Beatles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a terrible plane crash sometime around 1977. In that crash, the southern rock band that I remember as Lynyrd Skynyrd sadly was no more.

I don't mean to be a dlk, although it works out that way sometimes. This current band calling itself Lynyrd Skynyrd is like Julian Lennon putting together a band and call it The Beatles.

Eggcelent point.

True.. I thought the 1987 "10 years later" tribute tour was a great one, but have never been much of a fan since then.

A couple editorial points:

1) Free Bird used to be #1 (or at worst #2 behind Stairway to Heaven) on any Rock Countdowns (remember when they used to do those on holiday weekends?). I was right to be there, and still should be there today.

2) The newest guy in the band, Guitarist Steve Gaines, died in that crash. If you're a fan, go back and listen to some of his playin (and a bit of singing too). Dude could bring it. "T For Texas" from their live album is a great place ot start...

Shame.

Southern Rock (my personal favorite) always seemed cursed (Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Stevie Ray Vaughn)

Edited by Bengal Mania

I saw them in about 2002 along with Deep Purple and Ted Nugent. I thought they were pretty damn good still.

"Lynyrd Skynyrd" Year 2008 may be a fine band. I have a problem with them billing themselves as Lynyrd Skynyrd.