[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I'm considering a Good Point and shoot.....

rocknrobn26

I know, I should just lug the DSLR to get the best pics, but I'd rather have a smaller camera that wll capture what I want, w/o the bulk.

Any suggs?

Should I just stick w/ the DSLR?

Budget for new camera is <$500.

What say yall?

i have one of the new canon powershots and you can't beat it for size and convenience. it's 7.1 megapixels, has image stabilizer, great zoom, sports mode, and even takes movie shorts. for snapshots, there's nothing better and you can even do some serious shooting. to me, there's nothing like the DSLR for full control and power, but when i'm not going for the high end stuff and i don't want to carry the gear, the canon is great.

mine is a year or two old, so i'm sure they are even better now. i went high end and spent around $300.

mine was the SD800. here's the newer version.

i have one of the new canon powershots and you can't beat it for size and convenience. it's 7.1 megapixels, has image stabilizer, great zoom, sports mode, and even takes movie shorts. for snapshots, there's nothing better and you can even do some serious shooting. to me, there's nothing like the DSLR for full control and power, but when i'm not going for the high end stuff and i don't want to carry the gear, the canon is great.

mine is a year or two old, so i'm sure they are even better now. i went high end and spent around $300.

mine was the SD800. here's the newer version.

How does the zoom control work? Is it still the toggle ring around the shoot button?

How does the zoom control work? Is it still the toggle ring around the shoot button?

yes, that's how it works for my model. it's not super precise so you have to move it around a bit, but it is convenient to access being right by the shoot button.

yes, that's how it works for my model. it's not super precise so you have to move it around a bit, but it is convenient to access being right by the shoot button.

Mine as well.

I'm not sure how standard this is now but one very convenient improvement over our old Olympus is the battery. It lasts forever and both it and the charger came with the camera which saved us about $50 in not having to buy a charger and batteries. I suppose the downside is that, should you not keep up with charging it and it runs out, you can't just buy some AAs and drop them in. Again, we've never come close.

All in all, it's small, takes good pictures, and is super easy to use. Sort of the definition of "point and shoot". Oh yah, it's also pretty quick.

I have to agree with the others...a powershot is great value. I've got a $200 one and am really impressed with the shots. I only shoot hot wheels so take that into consideration but it does a great job...

RR, I highly recommend looking at this line of camera. It is a good little unit, and an excellent "do anything and have no fear of me" camera. I have an older model and :heart: it.

Top of the line model MSRP = $400. You can probably get it for less online.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Thanks for MOST of the info, swammi, Ted,gaddis.....excepted. :wacko: .

Here's my current list likely to change:

SD850IS...

SD950IS...

G9....(currently my fave 'cause it does RAW, but it's not a small camera)

Granted the G9 is not really small, won't fit in my pocket, but it has a decent 1/1.7CCD, 12mp, 6x zoom, and it still weighs less than my zoom lens for my DSLR, though it is twice the weight of most compacts.

I know...I should just take my DSLR, but ................

Comments? Suggs? Still appreciated. NO...I have not made up my mind yet, but that G9 looks pretty cool.

Comments?

Did you look at the Olympus at all? IMO it's a mistake not to give it a look-see. Mainly because you can really give it a bang around and it will still do a nice job. And the images are pretty darm good, too.

Olympus is under-rated. Very good optics, which is such an important component of good images. I have owned/used several Canon cameras, and I can say that I have owned models that had disappointing optics. Never with an olympus.

Thanks for MOST of the info, swammi, Ted,gaddis.....excepted. :wacko: .

Here's my current list likely to change:

SD850IS...

SD950IS...

G9....(currently my fave 'cause it does RAW, but it's not a small camera)

Granted the G9 is not really small, won't fit in my pocket, but it has a decent 1/1.7CCD, 12mp, 6x zoom, and it still weighs less than my zoom lens for my DSLR, though it is twice the weight of most compacts.

I know...I should just take my DSLR, but ................

Comments? Suggs? Still appreciated. NO...I have not made up my mind yet, but that G9 looks pretty cool.

I don't think you need to pay the extra cash for the 12 million pixels in the SD950IS. The resolution of the SD850IS is good enough for your needs.

Did you look at the Olympus at all? IMO it's a mistake not to give it a look-see. Mainly because you can really give it a bang around and it will still do a nice job. And the images are pretty darm good, too.

Olympus is under-rated. Very good optics, which is such an important component of good images. I have owned/used several Canon cameras, and I can say that I have owned models that had disappointing optics. Never with an olympus.

I have/had 4 Olympus Cameras over the last 8-10 years. My current DSLR is an Olympus and I still have an old 4MP C770. Everything you said is correct, just looking for a little change.

Stick with your dSLR.....you wont be 100% happy with anything else and will always be comparing and saying what could have and should have.

There in lies my conundrum. :wacko: I could put the $$$ toward a new lens, but I really don't want to carry 8#'s of photo gear around plus a mono pod.

I have/had 4 Olympus Cameras over the last 8-10 years. My current DSLR is an Olympus and I still have an old 4MP C770. Everything you said is correct, just looking for a little change.

Why fix something that isn't broken? :wacko:

My DSLR is a Canon. Love it. But for my point and shoot beater, I love the StylusSW. Even my technophobic wife that has the uncanny ability to break everything couldn't mess it up, hurt it or even take a bad picture on her vacation.

Consumer reports lists the top three point and shoots (subcompact category) as:

#1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W200 $300 overall score 73

#2 Cannon Powershot $220 SD1100 IS overall score 68

#3 Casio Exilim Ex-s10 $230 overall score 67

Why fix something that isn't broken? :D

My DSLR is a Canon. Love it. But for my point and shoot beater, I love the StylusSW. Even my technophobic wife that has the uncanny ability to break everything couldn't mess it up, hurt it or even take a bad picture on her vacation.

Change is good.....isn't it? :D

I have a Nikon Coolpix 4800, its affordable and takes great pictures.

Haven't looked much at Nikon...... :wacko:

Consumer reports lists the top three point and shoots (subcompact category) as:

#1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W200 $300 overall score 73

#2 Cannon Powershot $220 SD1100 IS overall score 68

#3 Casio Exilim Ex-s10 $230 overall score 67

Yup saw those (I have the article in front of me), but I want more zoom +4x if possible.

Thanks, though.

Whatever you decide, I’d recommend getting one with an old school viewfinder in addition to the LCD. It’s nice when there are high glare conditions.

Good info here.